IGNORED

The 3DS Thread

Editorials Team · Posted

Yeah, I think you're right about that.  Between the small library size, durable and very compact cases, low shovelware ratio, and the fact that many of the games are basically unportable, makes it a very attractive system for collecting/full set collecting.

This makes me wonder when we'll see Wii prices take off. It's still a relatively cheap system to collect for. Glad I got all the 3DS games I wanted when I had the chance, although I think it's only certain games taking off. Stuff like fire emblem is still cheaper than the original MSRP. Im really surprised with how cheap fire emblem echoes is. So maybe the train hasn't quite left the station just yet for the 3DS. 

1 hour ago, Galdius said:

Right now, my biggest problem is finding any copy of Barbie. Since I started to go for the fullset, I have yet to find a CIB copy for sale. 

I don't think it will be a big problem for the collecting scene. You can play any game from the previous gens on almost any console you want and that hasn't made prices lower at all.

What I find interesting about the 3DS is the size of the library. It's smaller than the GBC library. I think that once people notice this, they will go for it. It helps that the cases are a lot better than the cardboard boxes from previous handheld gens. 

Yea, I currently have 183 with most big boxes and the expensive rare titles. Just need to get Barbie and I don’t see it up complete ever either. Obviously it isn’t going to be cheap, but as more people go for a full set I’m afraid prices may go even higher and at some point I’m not sure I’m going to be willing to pay the going rate. Hope I’m wrong and a case is found, or we find out it was prevalent in Mexico or South America somewhere.

5 minutes ago, DeuceGamer said:

Yea, I currently have 183 with most big boxes and the expensive rare titles. Just need to get Barbie and I don’t see it up complete ever either. Obviously it isn’t going to be cheap, but as more people go for a full set I’m afraid prices may go even higher and at some point I’m not sure I’m going to be willing to pay the going rate. Hope I’m wrong and a case is found, or we find out it was prevalent in Mexico or South America somewhere.

It definitely isn’t prevalent here in Brazil lol there are a few rare games in the US that can be found with ease here but sadly Barbie is not one of them. 

41 minutes ago, DeuceGamer said:

It was released in Canada as I understood. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

WOW I remember passing that one up on BF too 😩😩

I think the Switch might be effecting 3ds prices in 2 ways.

1) gamers have been brought out of hibernation with the success of the Switch and are catching up on a lot of the games theyve missed, like the Disgaea and Persona franchise which makes them aware of the 3DS games and makes the demand more than what it was when the games were released.

2) The Switch is largely legitimizing handheld gaming like we haven't seen before. Most people thought of handheld gaming like a Gameboy game or a phone game and not like BOTW. Now 3DS and Vita are getting a ton of interest, especially the most playable games which include RPGs. 

One thing I do worry about is how easy the 3DS is to mod and how available all the games are on the internet. I know that hasn't slowed down Saturn or Dreamcast collecting or prices but it still makes me wonder how much of a demand physical games can have considering how simple it is to play them all after about an hour of tinkering, downloads and installs

I have a feeling the modding of 3ds won't keep people from collecting.  The casual gamer may very well opt to pirate over buying carts though.  Most of the consoles I modded have resulted in reduced or no new purchases.   It also hasn't caused me to sell games.  My Wii U stuff is still on the shelf. 

I wouldn't be surprised if these higher prices stay.  3ds may be a missed handheld for a lot of people playing catch-up.  Switch has brought a lot of people back to gaming.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Makar said:

This makes me wonder when we'll see Wii prices take off. It's still a relatively cheap system to collect for. Glad I got all the 3DS games I wanted when I had the chance, although I think it's only certain games taking off. Stuff like fire emblem is still cheaper than the original MSRP. Im really surprised with how cheap fire emblem echoes is. So maybe the train hasn't quite left the station just yet for the 3DS. 

Echoes is still in stock with major retailers.  Give it a year or two.

Damn, maybe I should pick up the pace on my set. I pretty much put it on the back burner for the past year and a half. I think it at 140 games and I have most of what I want to play.

I'm not much of an RPG guy which is one reason I kept putting off the Shin Megani tensei titles and the like. I an still one of the few sadists who goes out to sm yard sales and I generally pick up any game I don't have if I see it for under the going price. 

Edit - went to cruise eBay for sure 3ds games. Bought a DS game instead 😐 This is the third time it's happen in a row. Oh well. The DS collect keeps growing.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

23 hours ago, Makar said:

That surprises me considering how echoes is imo one of the best fire emblem games ever made.

Echoes CE was for sale long after it was released, at least for a year at the major retailers. Fates sold out instantly and wasn't available outside of the initial preorder or 1-3 copies retailers got in at launch. 

I've started to collect more for 3DS (and DS too) lately! Just bought Bravely Default and Bravely Second from a coworker for only $15, and it turns out Bravely Default was even a sealed copy! 😮 I got into the 3DS very late (the Switch was announced the day after I bought it), so I'm trying to get all of the stuff I missed out on now!

• Like 1

I can't believe how much 3DS has skyrocketed. I recently picked up a 20th Anniversary Pokemon NN3DS for about $300 shipped after taxes. I remember it was hard to unload those back then because there were so many. I'm glad I picked up everything I wanted before quarantine but the only things I did not pick up were DQ 7 and 8 which I regret. May pick them up on my next paycheck.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 1:12 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Echoes CE was for sale long after it was released, at least for a year at the major retailers. Fates sold out instantly and wasn't available outside of the initial preorder or 1-3 copies retailers got in at launch. 

Yea I've always been baffled by that. Why do so many people seem to skip over echoes?

I mentioned it in the pick ups area of the site, but I got stupid due to a nice price and have a 2DS and I just dumped all my 3DS stuff in the last quarter.  There was a nice stack of mostly DS games with it to make it foolish not to grab.  Now I sit here with this crystal red 2DS and I kept 3 games (ace combat+, mario kart, smash) in the box with it (there was lego city and Mario/Sonic Rio too) contemplating not ever collecting for it again but to keep as a tester or just offloading it onto someone who would appreciate it more.

These stories of pricing on the games getting asinine is getting a bit discouraging, makes me kind of want to look into it to see if I even did selectively bother, if that would be an instant turn off.  I'm trying to scale back, not up.

I'm really surprised at the prices of the shin mega tensei games right now, I just can't see those prices staying. I think I am almost finished with getting all the games I am interested in for the 3DS. I tried to grab them as they were clearanced out but slacked at the end. I am up to 112 games a may add around a dozen more. I suspect this system will be highly collection as will the vita