IGNORED

Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 94/94

1 minute ago, Sumez said:

That's what Ghosts 'n Goblins does too, though, so I think that's a curious distinction. 🙂
Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts are a lot more up front about requiring two loops to even get to the final boss.

Either way I agree with most of what you're saying, and if Military Madness says "FIN" after the first loop that sounds like an ending to me 😄 

Ghosts 'n Goblins has two different endings.

GI Joe, for example, has the same ending three times, with some challenge text afterward.  Aside from that text, there is no difference in the endings of the three quests.  Per AdamL's endings FAQ:

When you finally finish Quest 3, Mission 6, Stage 2 and defeat Cobra Commander for the 3rd
time, you get the regular ending, showing the chopper leaving the exploding mountain, a 
congratulations screen, credits which show each boss of the game, a screen showing a password 
and high score and finally a screen with text from the game's programmer Ken Lobb stating how 
he is impressed and that the final quest is programmed for experts. A cool reward for finishing
all 3 Quests!

Basically, you get the same ending with a different text at the end.  A far cry from what is shown in Ghosts 'n Goblins, and why I would say only one quest is needed to "beat" the game in GI Joe, but both quests for GnG.  All that said, odds are the end of Military Madness isn't gonna change, but unless someone actually does the second loop, or can find a Let's Play or some other source that shows the ending on subsequent loops, we won't truly know where it sits.  If such evidence can't be turned up though, I would be inclined to mark it as done until such evidence comes forward, if in fact there is a different ending. 

Somer Assault is done.  Interesting game.  You control a slinky-like spring that sticks to walls and ceilings and shoots enemies.  Unfortunately, the stages themselves are kinda boring.  The final boss was a pain.  It seems impossible to avoid taking damage.  I only beat it because I had a bunch of extra lives at the end.

somer.JPG.de60e2fc2fe5d6cf09a8a7fa64b4577f.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 9:14 PM, Red said:

The ending was a good ending, so it feels like I beat the game. I started the second loop though, so I might finish that in a week or so anyway.

Also played through Bonk's Adventure this evening.

byebye.JPG.21bbcef5a11608f877ba1ca275d27c22.JPG

For Military Madness, the first ending should be OK, so I will count it for the moment. However, I would be interested to see what would be the ending after the second loop if you can achieve it. If it is a "true ending", then, we'll count beating the second loop as completing the game. In both cases, the game would be completed.

Great progress on the three games!

• The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 9/94
9 minutes ago, RetroMichel said:

For Military Madness, the first ending should be OK, so I will count it for the moment. However, I would be interested to see what would be the ending after the second loop if you can achieve it. If it is a "true ending", then, we'll count beating the second loop as completing the game. In both cases, the game would be completed.

Great progress on the three games!

Checked out a video of someone finishing the final mission of the advanced campaign (same maps but changing the number and placement of units to increase the difficulty), and the ending sequence looks identical to the one for the normal campaign. Kinda lame. 😆

Just finished one more.  Time Cruise is done.  Like the Crush games, you get an ending when you max out the score.  I'd say it's one of the easier Pinball video games out there.  The physics could be better, but I still like it.  The huge playfield is pretty neat and the minigames aren't bad.  Does drag on a bit too long though.

t1.JPG.994f6902f54602bf031c7e303b3e2e5a.JPG

t2.JPG.12c2eac5b9f54e6d464d335e7453bceb.JPG

t3.JPG.aa4c03ac6f1b633632e1da7b3f7c6a88.JPG

t4.JPG.d94fbe779eceebbb8b445f8827c82770.JPG

t5.JPG.de105f85ff6172e1b4fba917a04d507f.JPG

t6.JPG.26e41e9ffe032cbabe7d5dae8b78a6db.JPG

Edited by Red
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 10/94
  • The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 11/94
  • The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 12/94

Blazing Lazers is done. Wow, that was a difficult game that made me rage so many times towards the end. The difficulty increases level by level in a reasonable way, except for the final level, level 9. In order to beat level 9, you need to keep all your power-ups or else you’ll die. Again and again. In fact, when you die in Blazing Lazers, you restart with no power-ups and you are very vulnerable. It is nearly impossible to progress without the bonus attacks you can collect.
A difficult game, but a very rewarding experience. It sometimes makes you feel like you are a poor player, and can be frustrating, but really, its difficulty is very legitimate. There are no broken mechanics: in fact, playing the game was an incredible experience. For 1989, the graphics look absolutely stunning and it is so, so ahead of its time it is not even funny.

9DB77912-CD1A-4E17-BF57-56BF5B1C2A33.jpeg

4899FE74-3357-42CF-8ABC-8C7095BF06C2.jpeg

D3699DA4-F15E-4CA7-B1F5-86238AC17E21.jpeg

3BD56D55-585D-42B3-9526-E9603F5B7D73.jpeg

Edited by RetroMichel

• The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 14/94
On 9/4/2021 at 12:45 AM, RetroMichel said:

Blazing Lazers is done. Wow, that was a difficult game that made me rage so many times towards the end. The difficulty increases level by level in a reasonable way, except for the final level, level 9. In order to beat level 9, you need to keep all your power-ups or else you’ll die. Again and again. In fact, when you die in Blazing Lazers, you restart with no power-ups and you are very vulnerable. It is nearly impossible to progress without the bonus attacks you can collect.
A difficult game, but a very rewarding experience. It sometimes makes you feel like you are a poor player, and can be frustrating, but really, its difficulty is very legitimate. There are no broken mechanics: in fact, playing the game was an incredible experience. For 1989, the graphics look absolutely stunning and it is so, so ahead of its time it is not even funny.

I've only made one real attempt at this game... I was so upset when I reached the second half of the last stage and got completely murdered, losing everything I had built up over the course of the game, and then proceeded to try for around 3 hours starting fresh from that last level... as it slowly sunk it that there was no way I was going to do this without resetting and playing from the very beginning.

I haven't gone back to it yet... 

• 2 months later...

Update:

Oh god, how is University taking all my time lately. However, I'm still playing TurboGrafx-16 games when I get the time. I'm actually playing Boxyboy and I am now at level 89/100. It should be finished before the end of the month. That one's tough and very long.

I am also still playing Devil's Crush.

Are there still people here ?

Michel

Glad to be reminded of this thread. Davis Cup Tennis, Double Dungeons, Hit the Ice, Moto Roader, and Yo Bro are all on my list to do something about "at some point", as I've worked on all of them at various times.

I could also be persuaded to do World Court Tennis if no one else takes care of it, as it's got that excellent Namco tennis engine and is a pretty easy win.

7 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Glad to be reminded of this thread. Davis Cup Tennis, Double Dungeons, Hit the Ice, Moto Roader, and Yo Bro are all on my list to do something about "at some point", as I've worked on all of them at various times.

Good luck with Double Dungeons and Moto Roader.  I tried them both in August and I think they're some of the worst games on the system.  Double Dungeons is easily the worst dungeon crawler RPG I've ever played.  I tend to be able to find some enjoyment in old, primitive RPGs, but this one couldn't be more boring.

Edited by Red
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Red said:

Good luck with Double Dungeons and Moto Roader.  I tried them both in August and I think they're some of the worst games on the system.  Double Dungeons is easily the worst dungeon crawler RPG I've ever played.  I tend to be able to find some enjoyment in old, primitive RPGs, but this one couldn't be more boring.

I don't mind the mindlessness of Double Dungeons -- it's almost more of a cartography simulator than an RPG -- but the size of the late-game maps gets pretty ridiculous. I made it through the first 8 levels a while back, so since the game lets you choose them in any order (except the last one which requires a password), I might play the rest of the levels first, then replay the early levels with my existing maps to meet the VGS clear condition, and only then tackle the gargantuan final level.

Moto Roader is weak but I was able to clear a cup in 1st place for PC Engine FX when they did their own library completion effort a few years back. As I recall any given set of tracks is self-contained, and you get the same ending whichever one you beat.

Edited by bronzeshield

On 11/11/2021 at 1:36 PM, bronzeshield said:

I don't mind the mindlessness of Double Dungeons -- it's almost more of a cartography simulator than an RPG -- but the size of the late-game maps gets pretty ridiculous. I made it through the first 8 levels a while back, so since the game lets you choose them in any order (except the last one which requires a password), I might play the rest of the levels first, then replay the early levels with my existing maps to meet the VGS clear condition, and only then tackle the gargantuan final level.

Moto Roader is weak but I was able to clear a cup in 1st place for PC Engine FX when they did their own library completion effort a few years back. As I recall any given set of tracks is self-contained, and you get the same ending whichever one you beat.

I don't mind and, if I'm in the right mood, enjoy mapping things out in video games.  But there's barely anything else to Double Dungeons.  If I'm going to play a dungeon crawling RPG, I'd rather play one with a bit more substance to it, which is pretty much every other dungeon crawler RPG that I know of.

As for Moto Roader, if one doesn't have to beat every set of tracks for it to be considered complete, it might not be too much of a pain to get through.  After having trouble with the first set, I dreaded having to play through more than one.  I'm assuming the trick is figuring out the right order to purchase new parts, but the game is such a chore to play, I didn't want to take the time to figure it out.

• 2 months later...

I've been getting into TG16 emulation recently, and exploring the library. I can contribute three more games to the list:

• Ninja Spirit
  • Neutopia
  • Legendary Axe

Ninja Spirit was enjoyable, albeit annoying in parts. I'd already beaten the Game Boy version. Neutopia is a not so great Zelda 1 clone. It seems to be well regarded, but I also played Golden Axe Warrior recently on the Master System and I thought that game was much more fun. Neutopia did have better boss fights, at least. Legendary Axe was great, though. Some frustration with all the death pits, but the combat was a lot of fun. Disappointed that the second is a different game entirely.

I also beat Ys 1-2, but I guess Turbo CD games aren't on the list.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 18/94