Jump to content
IGNORED

Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 14/94


Recommended Posts

NEC Turbo Grafx-16 - Main Menu Wheel - Media - HyperSpin Forum

Here is a thread in which we can express our passion for the magnificent TurboGrafx-16 console by completing its library. This thread is based on Splain's wonderful work on his numerous threads in the Site-run Events & Contests forums. Huge thanks to him for his templates and already written rules, which I edited for the TurboGrafx-16 library.

Why the TurboGrafx-16?

The TG-16 library is full of amazing games that need to be (re)discovered/played. Also, it is a small library (total of 94 NTSC-U/C games), so it's not an impossible feat. Right?

Each game will be worth one point, so the points will be added up as "games completed" in the leaderboard. Feel free to comment as much as you'd like about the games you've completed (or not).

Here are the rules:

  • We're beating these games, starting now. All games must be started no earlier than the posting of this thread. (August 15th, 2021)
  • There will be no "resets" at the end of the year; this is a focus on completing the entire library.
  • Photos are not required but highly encouraged.
  • Emulation is OK, but no cheat devices, cheat codes, looking up passwords, etc. Legitimate runs only.
  • If you have questions about what constitutes "beating" a game, bring it up and we'll figure it out. (Typical requirements are to get an ending screen or credit roll, on the middle or default difficulty. Or beat the high score. Or win the tournament.) Some games are more obvious than others.

Please respect these rules, but more importantly, have fun!

Title Beaten By Notes/Requirements
Aero Blasters    
Air Zonk RetroMichel  
Alien Crush   Get 1 billion points.
Andre Panza Kick Boxing    
Ballistix    
Battle Royale    
Blazing Lazers RetroMichel  
Bloody Wolf    
Bomberman    
Bomberman '93    
Bonk's Adventure Red  
Bonk's Revenge Red  
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure    
Boxyboy    
Bravoman    
Cadash    
Champions Forever Boxing    
Chase H.Q.    
Chew Man Fu    
China Warrior Red  
Cratermaze    
Cyber Core    
Darkwing Duck Red  
Davis Cup Tennis    
Dead Moon    
Deep Blue    
Devil's Crush   Get 1 billion points.
Double Dungeons    
Dragon Spirit    
Dragon's Curse    
Drop Off    
Dungeon Explorer    
Dungeons & Dragons: Order of the Griffon    
Falcon    
Fantasy Zone    
Final Lap Twin    
Galaga '90 Red  
Ghost Manor    
Gunboat    
Hit the Ice    
Impossamole    
Jack Nicklaus' Turbo Golf    
Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu    
J.J. & Jeff    
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones    
King of Casino    
Klax    
Legend of Hero Tonma    
Legendary Axe, The    
Legendary Axe II, The    
Magical Chase    
Military Madness Red  
Moto Roader    
Neutopia    
Neutopia II    
New Adventure Island Dr. Morbis  
Night Creatures    
Ninja Spirit    
Ordyne    
Pac-Land    
Parasol Stars Red  
Power Golf    
Psychosis    
Raiden    
R-Type    
Samurai Ghost    
Shockman    
Side Arms Hyper Dyne    
Silent Debuggers    
Sinistron Red  
Soldier Blade    
Somer Assault Red  
Sonic Spike Volleyball    
Space Harrier    
Splatterhouse RetroMichel  
Super Star Soldier    
Super Volleyball    
Takin' it to the Hoop    
Talespin    
Tiger Road    
Time Cruise Red  
Timeball    
Tricky Kick    
Turrican    
TV Sports Basketball    
TV Sports Football    
TV Sports Hockey    
Veigues Tactical Gladiator    
Victory Run    
Vigilante    
World Class Baseball    
World Court Tennis    
World Sports Competition    
Yo, Bro    

 

Leaderboard

User # of games completed
Red 10
RetroMichel 3
Dr. Morbis 1
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
Edited by RetroMichel
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This kind of makes me want to play through Order of the Griffon again, but this time with my new TurboBooster-Plus! I am in the middle of playing through the Master System and Genesis Phantasy Star games and Morrowind right now, so adding another rpg would be a lot.

 

If it still has not been beat in a few months I will probably reconsider.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reed Rothchild changed the title to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 0/94
Member · Posted

Ha ha, I was considering starting a thread for this in the fall, except with a 3 month time limit like the Sega Master System one.  I'm not sure how popular having the shorter time limit was, so maybe it's for the best that I'm not running it.  It's been a long time since I've actually played any TG-16 and I've been meaning to set it back up for a while, so expect some contributions from me soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

Okay, let's start things off right.  I was going to get going on Elevator Action tonight, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to play through the best game on the Turbo (undisputable; can't be argued 😛 ) and make it the first game completed out of the gate.  So here it is, New Adventure Island is done:

 

NAI Fin.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RetroMichel changed the title to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 1/94

I'm kinda Turbografx'd out at the moment, but I looked back at every game I've marked myself as 'beaten' over the past few years to see if I could find anything that could have a questionable victory condition. Thankfully, it wasn't much:

Alien Crush - Technically has an ending that triggers when you would roll the score over at 1 billion points. It consists of two lines of text on a black screen. Supposedly it would require keeping a game of pinball going for about 40 hours to see legitimately. I'd personally consider this ending an easter egg rather than a realistic goal meant for the player. The default high score is only 1 million points, which is pretty puny. If one would like to set their aim higher, Speedrun.com uses categories for reaching 5 mil, 10 mil, and 25 million points that could serve as goals, though those seem to be chosen simply because they're big round numbers... /shrug

Devil's Crush - Once again has an ending that triggers when the score would roll over at 1 billion points. It's slightly more elaborate this time. I think it's significantly less hours of pinball than Alien Crush, but I still wouldn't consider it a goal for the purposes of this thread. Default high score is once again only 1 million points, but Speedrun.com has categories for 5, 10, and 25 mil.

Bloody Wolf - This game also contains 'Bloody Wolf 2' and 'Bloody Wolf 3.' Okay, not really. Upon finishing the game, you are given a code to use for your next playthrough. Entering it adds a '2' to the title screen, but it's really just another loop but everything is faster. Finishing that will provide a code for '3,' which another speed-boosted loop with the ability to hover (hold a jump as long as you'd like). In short, the first loop is the whole game.

Ninja Spirit - The Arcade mode and PC-Engine mode the player has to choose at the title screen have a big gap in difficulty (basically one-hit deaths vs a few-hit deaths), but I'd call them equally valid routes to complete the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John198X said:

I'm kinda Turbografx'd out at the moment, but I looked back at every game I've marked myself as 'beaten' over the past few years to see if I could find anything that could have a questionable victory condition. Thankfully, it wasn't much:

Alien Crush - Technically has an ending that triggers when you would roll the score over at 1 billion points. It consists of two lines of text on a black screen. Supposedly it would require keeping a game of pinball going for about 40 hours to see legitimately. I'd personally consider this ending an easter egg rather than a realistic goal meant for the player. The default high score is only 1 million points, which is pretty puny. If one would like to set their aim higher, Speedrun.com uses categories for reaching 5 mil, 10 mil, and 25 million points that could serve as goals, though those seem to be chosen simply because they're big round numbers... /shrug

Devil's Crush - Once again has an ending that triggers when the score would roll over at 1 billion points. It's slightly more elaborate this time. I think it's significantly less hours of pinball than Alien Crush, but I still wouldn't consider it a goal for the purposes of this thread. Default high score is once again only 1 million points, but Speedrun.com has categories for 5, 10, and 25 mil.

Bloody Wolf - This game also contains 'Bloody Wolf 2' and 'Bloody Wolf 3.' Okay, not really. Upon finishing the game, you are given a code to use for your next playthrough. Entering it adds a '2' to the title screen, but it's really just another loop but everything is faster. Finishing that will provide a code for '3,' which another speed-boosted loop with the ability to hover (hold a jump as long as you'd like). In short, the first loop is the whole game.

Ninja Spirit - The Arcade mode and PC-Engine mode the player has to choose at the title screen have a big gap in difficulty (basically one-hit deaths vs a few-hit deaths), but I'd call them equally valid routes to complete the game.

For the two Crush games, I'd consider getting 1 billion points the true ending. I know, I know, these games are very time-consuming. In fact, I'm currently playing Devil's Crush. I save my game once in a while when I'm at the top of my game (when I have many lives and I have many points). So far, I'm at 100 million points, so it's doable, only very long. Very good game, however, I just hate how luck plays a huge role in pinball.

I'd be completely fine with Bloody Wolf beaten only one time. No need for a second and third playthroughs.

Thanks for the useful information. I will update the main thread right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, RetroMichel said:

For the two Crush games, I'd consider getting 1 billion points the true ending. I know, I know, these games are very time-consuming. In fact, I'm currently playing Devil's Crush. I save my game once in a while when I'm at the top of my game (when I have many lives and I have many points). So far, I'm at 100 million points, so it's doable, only very long. Very good game, however, I just hate how luck plays a huge role in pinball.

I'd be completely fine with Bloody Wolf beaten only one time. No need for a second and third playthroughs.

Thanks for the useful information. I will update the main thread right now.

I think it'd be an awesome personal accomplishment to reach one one of the Crush endings, and it'd be really cool to have someone here do that. I personally don't have the will to do so 😆, which is probably a factor in why I'm equivocating it more to reaching a kill screen than completing a loop (if comparing it to a stage based score-chase game, like Donkey Kong or Pac-Man). Either way, more power to you!

Of American card releases, I can personally confirm Bomberman, Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Bonk 3, Cadash, China Warrior, Dragon's Curse, Dungeon Explorer, Magical Chase, Neutopia, Splatterhouse, Tiger Road, and Vigilante all have endings that can be reached even with my limited skills. I'd give at least a weak recommendations to all of those, even China Warrior, but not Tiger Road...

I would never want to attempt Tiger Road without the save feature enabled by having a CD unit or TurboBooster (or playing in an emulator that provides the functionality) that basically makes for infinite continues. I'm not sure I can think of any other action games on TGX let you save like this. With just a base system, you can continue a few times before being sent back to the title screen... which is not unordinary, but this game is brutal. It barely resembles the arcade game (though I kind of like the cute style), and I found it to be super cheap and obnoxiously difficult.

Edited by John198X
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

I thought I'd start off with some of the less popular titles and I beat Darkwing Duck today.  It has a well deserved bad reputation.  The stages are very bland and seem like they shouldn't be difficult, but the slippery controls make simple platforming a chore.  Luckily, extra life and continue items respawn when you lose, so it doesn't take too long to get through.

Also tried China Warrior and Moto Roader.  Not crazy about either of them, but I may go back to them tomorrow.

Next day edit: If one loop is good enough for China Warrior, consider it done.  Not crazy about this one either.  There's not much variety in the stages and the stiff controls make a few of the bosses a pain.  Luckily you can stockpile health and just exchange blows with those bosses until they run out of health.

Edited by Red
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RetroMichel changed the title to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 2/94
  • RetroMichel changed the title to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 3/94

Air Zonk is now beaten. I highly recommend this game. Very dynamic gameplay with, honestly, an unforgettable soundtrack. I kept humming and whistling the themes of this game since I played it a few weeks ago. I decided to do a full playthrough yesterday and I got it. I played it on "sweet mode", the easiest mode, which gives you 5 lives at the start instead of 3 ("spicy mode") or 1 ("bitter mode"). The game has very colorful graphics with a lot of animation going on. However, one thing I was not particularly a fan of is some enemies and bosses themselves. I know, it's purely a Japanese thing to put weird things/objects as enemies in games, but sometimes it felt so random. I get that it is meant to be original/funny, but I would have liked the game to be more thematic sometimes. Still, this is not a huge complaint. I can say I loved Air Zonk and I will definitely play it on harder modes. Great exclusive and honestly a must-have for every TurboGrafx-16 owner.

Air Zonk.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RetroMichel changed the title to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 4/94
Member · Posted

Played some Galaga '90 today.  Beat the final boss in the top path, which I'm assuming gives the best ending.  Simple, but fun shooter.

galaga.JPG.8bdbec5ab8f304fcb8606fc9799817a1.JPG

Here are pictures of the other games I've beaten so far.  It's amusing how the ending of the first loop of China Warrior says CONGRATULATIONS, but the third loop says GIVE UP! and won't let you play a fourth loop.

china1.JPG.91668548e0ae38383c36fa3d90f35787.JPG

china2.JPG.b2046042d4c1338e6f9a3e6dbcecf383.JPG

And here's Darkwing Duck:

darkwing.JPG.613f1a27bb889e3252e3e51d16d92fb1.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RetroMichel changed the title to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 5/94

Splatterhouse is beaten. This is the game that made me buy a TurboGrafx-16 console at first. I was so curious to see how gruesome and shocking the game would be for its time, and honestly, while I understand it might be scary, even today, it is not THAT graphic. However, it is important to know that this game was released in 1990 on the TG-16. For its time, there is no denying how much this game had a major influence on mature games by introducing such horror and yes, violence, in a video game.

While the gameplay of the game is not perfect (jumps can be clunky sometimes), it plays very well generally and it is a very fun gaming experience. The soundtrack plays a huge role to set the horrifying tone of the game. It does it very well. No music becomes too much repetitive and the songs fit with each stage/area they accompany.

I will not spoil any information about the game's story, as some of you may not have played Splatterhouse, but this is the thing that kept the most my attention. There are some very unique and interesting twists in the game that keep you on the edge of your seat. I always wanted to progress in the game and see what will happen next.

Splatterhouse is great, and honestly, absolutely a must-have for the TG-16.

Splatterhouse.jpg

Splatterhouse (1).jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RetroMichel changed the title to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 6/94

I don't exactly know why I like Splatterhouse so much. Yeah, it's pretty simplistic, plays kinda stiff, and the fire guys in the last stage have no animation and look weird. 😆

But the aesthetics and presentation are just perfect, and the difficulty is relatively mild - just enough to keep you fully engaged. Once you learn it, it's an easy 20ish minute playthrough, but it's on a very short list of games that I can always revisit and enjoy every single moment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

What should the win condition for Military Madness be?  I beat the first 16 stages, which gives you an ending.  You can keep playing after the ending and you'll go back to the first map, but the starting armies are now different.  The manual refers to these as the "advanced stages".  Should beating all of these stages be required?

madness.JPG.6fc559bb92eecdc8bd0f0d41fa214301.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Red said:

What should the win condition for Military Madness be?  I beat the first 16 stages, which gives you an ending.  You can keep playing after the ending and you'll go back to the first map, but the starting armies are now different.  The manual refers to these as the "advanced stages".  Should beating all of these stages be required?

madness.JPG.6fc559bb92eecdc8bd0f0d41fa214301.JPG

If it gives a "true" ending, yes.  If the ending is the same, I would say no.  But it's not my call to make either, nor do I know enough about the game to comment one way or the other for this specific case.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

Wouldn't that be like requiring Second Quest in Zelda, or two loops of Castlevania? AFAIK the NES completions thread doesn't do that, even though both of those are great.

Those games have the same ending for both quests.  You could also bring up listings like Ghosts 'n Goblins, which requires the true ending after the second loop, or Arkista's Ring, which requires four loops to get a true ending.  The NES thread requires the true ending to be reached in those cases.  There are also grey area titles like the Taxan "three endings" titles, which are pretty much the same thing with a challenge blurb that changes between completions.  I believe those only require one loop to cross them off, as aside from challenging the player to another loop, those endings are otherwise identical between loops.  I would say any game with multiple loops should follow that same criteria - if the ending is the same (or has a minor difference that doesn't change the ending as a whole), then one loop should suffice, but in the case of games with a fakeout ending before a true ending, the true ending needs to be reached.  And in the case of multiple endings requiring different criteria to reach, I would consider any ending that requires playing a full game to reach a legitimate finish, and that getting all of them is not really necessary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
11 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

There are also grey area titles like the Taxan "three endings" titles, which are pretty much the same thing with a challenge blurb that changes between completions.

That's what Ghosts 'n Goblins does too, though, so I think that's a curious distinction. 🙂
Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts are a lot more up front about requiring two loops to even get to the final boss.

Either way I agree with most of what you're saying, and if Military Madness says "FIN" after the first loop that sounds like an ending to me 😄 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RetroMichel changed the title to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 14/94

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...