IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Elevator Action!

BeaIank

On 8/18/2021 at 6:47 PM, NESfiend said:

Goddamn right we are jeeves. Been watching for your avator to come waltzing down the beach. Even with my wide strike zone, I couldnt get into elevator action. I think the problem is it isnt anesthetically pleasing with black and white. Im still playing last weeks game and its damn fun, and it looks nice 

20210818_193645.jpg

I reached the final boss the shark with four lives and two continues and he kicked my ass. I want to beat this game.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It took me at least a half dozen times to beat the shark. That's definitely something I'm in no hurry to try again.

It might be a top 5 hardest NES boss but isn't brought up much.

Look how angry The Mexican Runner gets fighting him, and he's a top speedrunner and beat every NES game. Skip to the 10:30 mark in this video. I fully understand where he's coming from.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

It might be a top 5 hardest NES boss but isn't brought up much.

Look how angry The Mexican Runner gets fighting him, and he's a top speedrunner and beat every NES game. Skip to the 10:30 mark in this video. I fully understand where he's coming from.

That was basically the same experience that I had.

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That was basically the same experience that I had.

I finally beat it!  I think I was on my last life as well. The strat for the shark is quickly move opposite of the shark and hope to get some good hits in when he rises.

I also learned from watching a speedrun that you can use force to get past the second waterfall.

There is no easy strat for most of the game though.  That third mine disposal stage still makes me nervous. Thankfully I never have to play this again.

MrSZUmD.jpg

• Wow! 1

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I finally beat it!  I think I was on my last life as well. The strat for the shark is quickly move opposite of the shark and hope to get some good hits in when he rises.

I also learned from watching a speedrun that you can use force to get past the second waterfall.

There is no easy strat for most of the game though.  That third mine disposal stage still makes me nervous. Thankfully I never have to play this again.

MrSZUmD.jpg

Great job! I'm definitely not in any hurry to play it again either.

8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Great job! I'm definitely not in any hurry to play it again either.

Did you take the path with the moving icebergs? That stage is almost impossible. Thankfully you can skip it if you take the right hand exit on stage 9 (the second race course stage), you'll just get another logs and whirlpools stage instead.

15 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Did you take the path with the moving icebergs? That stage is almost impossible. Thankfully you can skip it if you take the right hand exit on stage 9 (the second race course stage), you'll just get another logs and whirlpools stage instead.

Yeah. That stage is ridiculously hard. That last bomb disposal stage is really tough too. If Cobra Triangle was more well known, it would probably be on a lot more lists of the toughest NES games.

23 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Im still playing it too. Such a good game and it just keeps going. 

20210820_214552.jpg

You don't need more than two speed powerups to beat the game. I recommend only getting two. Getting three just makes the other boats faster as well as making it harder to control.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

By god. I had finally gotten pretty good at the icebergs. Key is not to try to split the two icebergs that move side to side in the short gap. Those three spots were destroying me until I started hugging the sides. 

33 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

By god. I had finally gotten pretty good at the icebergs. Key is not to try to split the two icebergs that move side to side in the short gap. Those three spots were destroying me until I started hugging the sides. 

The first iceberg stage isn't that hard. I hug the side as well. The second one with all the moving icebergs is ridiculous.

Edited by mbd39

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

The first iceberg stage isn't that hard. I hug the side as well. The second one with all the moving icebergs is ridiculous.

Yeah, I dont think Ive made it there.  Congrats on beating the game though. Damn hard. Not sure why you are done with it though. I think with all variety the levels offer, replayability on this is through the roof. Beat it or not, Ill come back to it on occasion 

Edit: are you going left on stage one? I tried going right on stage 9 and still hit icebergs

Edited by NESfiend

9 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Any luck on that score yet?

I put up a nominal score, no time to point press, really, but at the time of my posting, it was second only to your ridiculous score, so I guess I'll wait and see how far I get bumped down the totem pole by the later posters like Cap'n Krunch and Bertholemew J. Sampson...

Seriously though, after this week is over you'll have to show me how you got such an incredible score on a single life; those enemies get so fast at 10k points that it is craaaaaazy!!!!

Edited by Dr. Morbis

7 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Yeah, I dont think Ive made it there.  Congrats on beating the game though. Damn hard. Not sure why you are done with it though. I think with all variety the levels offer, replayability on this is through the roof. Beat it or not, Ill come back to it on occasion 

Edit: are you going left on stage one? I tried going right on stage 9 and still hit icebergs

You can't skip the first iceberg stage only the much harder second one. Always go right in stage 9 to skip the second one.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I put up a nominal score, no time to point press, really, but at the time of my posting, it was second only to your ridiculous score, so I guess I'll wait and see how far I get bumped down the totem pole by the later posters like Cap'n Krunch and Bertholemew J. Sampson...

Seriously though, after this week is over you'll have to show me how you got such an incredible score on a single life; those enemies get so fast at 10k points that it is craaaaaazy!!!!

I'm not doing anything special at all, it's just really tedious. I've got a game on pause right now just to see how high I can go with this. I'll probably get bored and stop here soon though.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm not doing anything special at all, it's just really tedious. I've got a game on pause right now just to see how high I can go with this. I'll probably get bored and stop here soon though.

I assume you're doing this method? 

PXL_20210821_050121092.jpg