IGNORED

2021 NFL/NCAA Football Thread

Bearcat-Doug

On 10/17/2021 at 6:33 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

This is awesome except the playoff committee will manage to find a way to screw them out of a playoff spot again.

FB7IPs_XIAE0q4m?format=jpg&name=large

Yep.   You need to become a Utah fan right about now, because their only way in is if Oregon gets bounced out (or if Bama loses again somehow).

With the whole OSU/Michigan State/Michigan glob, one of those three is going to be in.

33 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Yep.   You need to become a Utah fan right about now, because their only way in is if Oregon gets bounced out (or if Bama loses again somehow).

With the whole OSU/Michigan State/Michigan glob, one of those three is going to be in.

Utah is actually favored by 3. I don't think I'd take that bet, but I hope they're right.

18 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Utah is actually favored by 3. I don't think I'd take that bet, but I hope they're right.

That's a bit stunning.   Almost worth it to throw money at Oregon's money line (+140 when I last looked) for that.

I know it's at Utah, but I don't that stadium is so rowdy as to affect opponents.

2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

That's a bit stunning.   Almost worth it to throw money at Oregon's money line (+140 when I last looked) for that.

I know it's at Utah, but I don't that stadium is so rowdy as to affect opponents.

It makes Oregon's #3 ranking look a bit suspect when the oddsmakers are suggesting that they are basically even with the #23 team.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Oregon's schedule isn't any better and they have a loss to 3-7 Stanford that seems not to count against them for whatever reason. 

If they win out they add a ranked Oregon and a Pac10 title to the resume.  They're 12 spots higher on SOS and it would only go up.

Georgia

Bama

Big Ten

Oregon/Oklahoma/Big Ten

I just don't see it happening for Cincy unless a lot of teams fall apart.

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

If they win out they add a ranked Oregon and a Pac10 title to the resume.  They're 12 spots higher on SOS and it would only go up.

Georgia

Bama

Big Ten

Oregon/Oklahoma/Big Ten

They're already on the outside looking in, so they likely need Oregon or Alabama to lose or Michigan State to beat Ohio State than have Ohio State beat Michigan to keep the Big 10 out. It's been a crazy season, so there is a chance, even if it's an unlikely one.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

They're already on the outside looking in, so they likely need Oregon or Alabama to lose or Michigan State to beat Ohio State than have Ohio State beat Michigan to keep the Big 10 out. It's been a crazy season, so there is a chance, even if it's an unlikely one.

If that happens you still need Michigan State to pick up a second loss somewhere.

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Georgia

Bama

Big Ten

Oregon/Oklahoma/Big Ten

Oklahoma already shit down their leg, and even then the committee already had Cincy ahead of them.

No way Big Ten takes two spots.  You'd need some serious shit to happen for two of MSU/OSU/Michigan to only end up with one loss each aka OSU losing to both.

Just now, captmorgandrinker said:

If that happens you still need Michigan State to pick up a second loss somewhere.

Oklahoma already shit down their leg, and even then the committee already had Cincy ahead of them.

No way Big Ten takes two spots.  You'd need some serious shit to happen for two of MSU/OSU/Michigan to only end up with one loss each aka OSU losing to both.

The easiest path for Cincinnati is likely Oregon losing to Utah tomorrow or in the PAC 12 championship game. Alabama might drop out if Georgia beats them handily in the SEC title game since I don't think a 2 loss team has made the playoff before.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The easiest path for Cincinnati is likely Oregon losing to Utah tomorrow or in the PAC 12 championship game. Alabama might drop out if Georgia beats them handily in the SEC title game since I don't think a 2 loss team has made the playoff before.

It may have happened before, but with so many other good one loss teams (and if Cincy stays undefeated) no way you can put a 2 loss team in there.

Just now, captmorgandrinker said:

It may have happened before, but with so many other good one loss teams (and if Cincy stays undefeated) no way you can put a 2 loss team in there.

Even if Alabama loses a close game to Georgia, I can't see them staying in the top 4 where they would turn right around and play again in the playoff. Even if OSU and Oregon win out, Georgia beating Alabama should get Cincinnati in.

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The playoff committee is already hard at work trying to find a way to keep Cincinnati out of the top 4 on Tuesday.

Rooster Teeth Laughing GIF by Achievement Hunter

The only upside is that they already had Cincy ahead of Oklahoma even when OU was undefeated.   Can't see them suddenly sticking OU or Oklahoma State ahead of them.

And then if they try to put Michigan ahead of them, that'll only last a week anyway.

12 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

The only upside is that they already had Cincy ahead of Oklahoma even when OU was undefeated.   Can't see them suddenly sticking OU or Oklahoma State ahead of them.

And then if they try to put Michigan ahead of them, that'll only last a week anyway.

Oklahoma State isn't looking very good against Texas Tech only up 13-0 at halftime. I wouldn't be shocked if they moved Michigan up, but like you said, there's no way that Ohio State and Michigan stay there after next week unless there really is a conspiracy.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

19 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Oklahoma State isn't looking very good against Texas Tech only up 13-0 at halftime. I wouldn't be shocked if they moved Michigan up, but like you said, there's no way that Ohio State and Michigan stay there after next week unless there really is a conspiracy.

On another note, very glad I don't have a local bookie anymore.  I was all for taking a 3 teamer of Michigan State (and the points), Oregon (either outright or points) and the over on OSU-TT (56).  

2 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

On another note, very glad I don't have a local bookie anymore.  I was all for taking a 3 teamer of Michigan State (and the points), Oregon (either outright or points) and the over on OSU-TT (56).  

I haven't bet anything since I took Cincinnati +400 against Indiana after they started the game down 14-0. It's probably for the best since they haven't been too good at covering the spread this season. 

Editorials Team · Posted
39 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The playoff committee is already hard at work trying to find a way to keep Cincinnati out of the top 4 on Tuesday.

Rooster Teeth Laughing GIF by Achievement Hunter

SOS, SOS, SOS, SOS

Just the unfortunate reality for the also-ran conferences.

They really needed 3 quality OOC games, not an FCS squad.

5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

SOS, SOS, SOS, SOS

Just the unfortunate reality for the also-ran conferences.

They really needed 3 quality OOC games, not an FCS squad.

Yes.  Clearly they should have scheduled a juggernaut like Charleston Southern or New Mexico State.