IGNORED

2021 NFL/NCAA Football Thread

Bearcat-Doug

I wasn't able to watch the Dolphins preseason game so I skimmed the highlights. Tua looked to be more comfortable than he did last year. Also, I appreciate the enthusiasm and effort players put in the preseason, but why is Tua trying to tackle? It's not like he's going to lose the QB "battle" due to a lack of effort on that interception, but should he really be tackling? Come on Tua...

A few years ago the Kentucky Wildcat (the mascot) came to our store and I happened to run into him while I was shopping and I was all like, are you THE, for real Wildcat???  So he led me to where our 2018 Citrus Bowl trophy was displayed -- the most prestigious bowl (just under the Big Four) we've been in since our 1949/1950/1951 seasons when we were in the Orange(L), Sugar(W), and Cotton(W) bowls respectively.  Keep in mind in our 106 year franchise history, we've only managed 11 eight win seasons and 5 nine win seasons.

So while our basketball team may be the Evil Empire of the SEC (especially during the Rupp era), our football team is very much the Chicago Cubs (pre-2016) of the conference.

10 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

I wasn't able to watch the Dolphins preseason game so I skimmed the highlights. Tua looked to be more comfortable than he did last year. Also, I appreciate the enthusiasm and effort players put in the preseason, but why is Tua trying to tackle? It's not like he's going to lose the QB "battle" due to a lack of effort on that interception, but should he really be tackling? Come on Tua...

The Bengals/Buccaneers game last night wasn't anything special. It looks like they might not even play Joe Burrow in the preseason. I doubt the Bengals will be playoff contenders this year, but they might be a solid team if they can stay healthy. It looks like the Bearcats will start the season out ranked in the top 10 of the polls, so hopefully this will be an exciting season.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:39 AM, a3quit4s said:

Preseason is a waste. 

No sir, you can't just jump right into the regular season cold, you have be prepared and ready for the season, hence the pre-season/spring training/etc.  Even when writing a story it's super important to be prepared and ready first!  Observe... 😄 

PS: I guess in the 21st century you write your story on a computer and word processor?  It even has a handy dandy spellchecker (you just right click on the word with the red sqiggly line under it) and you can just backspace if you need to erase/correct any mistakes, and you can cut/copy/paste sentences/paragraphs so you don't have to waste paper/erasers...maybe SS should do an updated version of this sketch! 😄 

Edited by Estil

Administrator · Posted
22 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I could see one or two games just to see the backups in action, but 4 games is definitely too many.

They already do scrimmages with other teams during the week; they could really just do more of those to get "game action" for the guys on the bubble.

But then they couldn't force season ticket holders to buy seats for a few throwaway games.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Mega Tank phins win 8 games this year?

ill give them 6

I got them at 7 wins.

Oh yea, Allen Hurns is also out with an injury now. I believe I said it before, but I worry about our receivers being able to make it through a season with all the injuries they have all had.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 4:29 PM, Estil said:

No sir, you can't just jump right into the regular season cold, you have be prepared and ready for the season, hence the pre-season/spring training/etc.  Even when writing a story it's super important to be prepared and ready first!

You'd be right for most other sports, but for football, you don't even see the important regulars for fear of losing them to injury before the season even starts.  Same reason why it's the only sport where the all-star game has to be *after* the season is over.  For football, pre-season's only purpose is to try out the new guys...

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

You'd be right for most other sports, but for football, you don't even see the important regulars for fear of losing them to injury before the season even starts.  Same reason why it's the only sport where the all-star game has to be *after* the season is over.  For football, pre-season's only purpose is to try out the new guys...

Well sure moving up from college and/or minors to the big leagues is a major adjustment so they certainly can't just be dropped in cold they must be properly prepared and ready!  And this right here is a perfect example of what can go wrong if you don't...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Clyde

1 minute ago, Estil said:

Well sure moving up from college and/or minors to the big leagues is a major adjustment so they certainly can't just be dropped in cold they must be properly prepared and ready!  And this right here is a perfect example of what can go wrong if you don't...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Clyde

I won't dispute that, I just think any more than 2 pre-season games in the NFL is just waisting everyone's time.  Instead of adding a game to the end of the season and playing even further into the dead of winter, why didn't they just scrub two of the preseason games, and do an 18 game season that starts two weeks earlier in late August?  Oh yeah: tradition...

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I won't dispute that, I just think any more than 2 pre-season games in the NFL is just waisting everyone's time.  Instead of adding a game to the end of the season and playing even further into the dead of winter, why didn't they just scrub two of the preseason games, and do an 18 game season that starts two weeks earlier in late August?  Oh yeah: tradition...

Honestly I'm just as if not more surprised as you are by that odd 17 game season thing.  Not to mention about ten years ago when MLB made their max bat diameter shrink from 2.75" (since 1895) to 2.61".  Why such a weird number and why now after over 100 years of the max 2.75"?

And I dunno, a month of pre-season makes sense to me...how do colleges and HS usually do it?

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Today I learned that Joe Flacco has more career passing yards than Joe Montana. I would've never guessed that. I also learned that Joe Flacco is still actively playing.

I thought he was going to be knocked out of the league from the cheap hit from Kiko Alonso with the Dolphins at the time. Things obviously changed for him after the hit, but I am surprised he is still playing.