IGNORED

GBA Action Replay vs GameShark

Which one is more reliable?

I always thought these were made by the same company, but AR originated in Europe while the GS originated in North America. Whether or not this is true (the wiki confirms it [but no source]), I believe they are the same design, exchanging similar components most likely due to international supply chains (Actel for an Altera or surface mounted for through hole components).

I also recall that these things tend to gunk up their own pins even when not in use so you have to scrub them much more thoroughly to get them to boot properly. That being said, I've come across failed Game Sharks / AR for various consoles (N64 being the worse).

So those experienced with these exact cheat devices, which is more reliable? Are there any tips on how not to screw things up? I remember locking up my N64 using a GS once and I was pissed (reset did not work).

I'm really only interested in those who used GS / AR that look exactly like this--no carabiner, no, 'mine doesn't have the brand', no AR Max / Duo, etc..

actionReplay.jpg

20210809_221131.jpg.14e9a82e6a6812de7c0f2bf9c3deb490.jpg

Edited by monsterG

I haven't experienced it but it seems activating too many codes at once can brick the GameShark device somehow.

By the way, what's the difference between the carabiner and the GameShark SP? I got the carabiner recently but it doesn't have codes for Pokemon.

I have the PC application but I'm not able to figure out how to copy game codes from the internet into the PC app. The software uses a file called pccheats.fcd for game codes but it seems to be proprietary and I can't find an editor to quickly copy new codes into it. Any help would be appreciated 🙂 

11 minutes ago, bowser said:

By the way, what's the difference between the carabiner and the GameShark SP? I got the carabiner recently but it doesn't have codes for Pokemon.

Thanks for the tip about activating too many codes.

The form-factor and hardware used differ. The software is also similar, probably with different fixes and adjustments for different chips used.

Still, that can affect reliability. The last physically released revision of the N64 GS is like 3.4 or something close to that, so they update software more than once with these.

Pokemon codes not being there is probably due to the last owner deleting them. I remember getting a GS as a kid an arduously going through the memory, deleting any game I did not own.
  • Like 1

So I have the Game Shark that looks Identical to your Action Replay (Just a Gameshark Sticker), As Datel (Action Replay) is the original creator they licensed the patents to Interact (Gameshark). At some point in the GBA lifespan Interact was no longer licensed or out of business so they ceased production of the unit, Datel then Released an Update for the Unit that turned it effectively into an "Action Replay" allowing the users to continue to be able to get Code updates.

I haven't used it in a few years but the last time i did it worked fine and I never had any issues with it other than the cheap housing that would always come apart but was easily snapped back together. As for the Gameshark SP, I am not familiar with that product.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I figured the Gameshark SP was the earlier model due to the relationship between Datel and Interact. 

Even though it's possible that it is an earlier model, it still may be more reliable. I've come across way more dead AR for the DS than dead GS in general. That might read like comparing apples and oranges, but it also may be that companies handle QA differently.

2 hours ago, monsterG said:
Thanks. I figured the Gameshark SP was the earlier model due to the relationship between Datel and Interact. 

Even though it's possible that it is an earlier model, it still may be more reliable. I've come across way more dead AR for the DS than dead GS in general. That might read like comparing apples and oranges, but it also may be that companies handle QA differently.

That Might be true, I do remember now that you really had to ensure the cartridge was in that damn thing tight or it would not boot correctly. Would you like me to pull out my old GameShark (now Action Replay) and snap a photo of the internals for you? I used it like normal and never had any issues of it failing that I could remember, and I have had that thing prior to 2004 (that i know for sure) and If the thing boots up and works that's an testament to durability I'd Say. You seem to be very interested in these variants, so If I can help, I have no issue in doing so. :)

I'll just go ahead and upload for your reference, is there anything you would like me to test for you? Also keep in mind that photo was taken today, so the device still works after nearly 20 years. I did have to clean the contacts to get it to boot, and ensure it was snug.

gs1.jpg

gs2.jpg

gs3.jpg

On 8/10/2021 at 11:01 PM, Exodus said:

Would you like me to pull out my old GameShark (now Action Replay) and snap a photo of the internals for you? I

I was hoping for a more definitive answer like GS for GBA fail more than AR. 

Thank you for the pics. There really doesn't seem to be any consistency with the design. At first, I thought the NA / GameShark didn't use smd or only used certain chips, but it seems the boards were pretty much interchangeable with the AR / GS shells.

• 2 months later...

Confusion seems to stem from the GameShark brand having appeared on (at least) two entirely different GBA devices. According to this old but seemingly well researched/documented site, the translucent gray/black "GameShark SP" is actually a rebranded Code Breaker device. Whereas (as has been previously noted in this thread), the transparent/clear GameShark and Action Replay GBA devices are the same as each other, but entirely different from "GameShark SP" / Code Breaker devices.

Best answer to OP's question would compare a clear GameShark / Action Replay GBA device with a "GameShark SP" / Code Breaker GBA device. Personally I don't know which is more reliable, but I too would be interested in hearing from someone who has experience with both types of devices.