IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Cobra Triangle

BeaIank

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

😞 Man, I was looking forward to getting some really good competition out of you moving forward.  That kinda stuff is hard to find...

Psh….. you will get plenty of mediocre competition from @NESfiend and myself. 
It’s guys like us that you’ve gotta worry aboot. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Richardhead said:

Actually, the only thing I'm really worried about is getting bad luck in the tournament with a selection of games I'm terrible at.  In the regular season, I just aim to be on the podium most weeks.  I've only won a single week so far...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

What I do is wait for about half a second after the level starts and then just hold down B and do nothing else.  All the jumps are timed to be in the right spot when you get to them, making the level go by in about ten seconds... 😉

Holy shit. I was able to execute that, but I had died at fry monster and was quickly summoned out. I need that 60% chance of rain to come through to get some runs in. So far no such luck. Got to 300 on 3 lives, so I could make a late run if weather breaks. 

20210815_135359.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

If my count is right this puts me in 8th place.  I still have time left but it’s a fairly big leap to do anything.  Congrats on all the monster scores. 

The whirlpool levels are the thing giving me trouble everything else is mostly fine. I might try to start the level with 5 pods and see if using force through them works?

This is such an amazing game though.   Some games are hard to gain utmost appreciation for outside of the contest structure but Cobra Triangle is just purely good.  I’d even call it the single most underrated NES game.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Krunch said:

If my count is right this puts me in 8th place.  I still have time left but it’s a fairly big leap to do anything.  Congrats on all the monster scores. 

The whirlpool levels are the thing giving me trouble everything else is mostly fine. I might try to start the level with 5 pods and see if using force through them works?

This is such an amazing game though.   Some games are hard to gain utmost appreciation for outside of the contest structure but Cobra Triangle is just purely good.  I’d even call it the single most underrated NES game.

It took me hours to come up with consistent strats for not dying in the logs and whirlpools level. It's extremely frustrating at first.

I agree this is a great game and very original.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

😞 Man, I was looking forward to getting some really good competition out of you moving forward.  That kinda stuff is hard to find...

I've just been overwhelmed with real world happenings lately and it doesn't help with my level of motivation to play video games at a competitive level. Hopefully I can work something out, but sometimes it's best just to take a break to recharge mentally.

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Holy shit. I was able to execute that, but I had died at fry monster and was quickly summoned out. I need that 60% chance of rain to come through to get some runs in. So far no such luck. Got to 300 on 3 lives, so I could make a late run if weather breaks. 

20210815_135359.jpg

20210815_172535.thumb.jpg.19c93c9f94b1ac6546f692664603b9b8.jpg

It's a bit choppy here, but nice weather, even if it is sprinkling, i ain't frying on the beach, it's comfy.....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Richardhead said:

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Actually, the only thing I'm really worried about is getting bad luck in the tournament with a selection of games I'm terrible at.  In the regular season, I just aim to be on the podium most weeks.  I've only won a single week so far...

richie is a former champion. 

its all about the games in the tourney. even if i was able to win every single week in the regular season, i would place last if tetris (or any puzzle game) is played in the tournament.

i need a beat um up, platformer and shooter, to have any chance at ever winning a tournament.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

It took me hours to come up with consistent strats for not dying in the logs and whirlpools level. It's extremely frustrating at first.

I agree this is a great game and very original.

Yeah that was the rub for me, all week I knew more time would end up being necessary to get it down but I never got down to it, I only played for like an hour, I’ve been playing switch and the Mario Party series a lot lately.  Oddly I think I enjoy this game so much that the contest isn’t as necessary for me to really get into it so maybe that stalled my motivation??  Other games especially the obscure stuff I guess I put more into it compared to the quality if I like the game since I know that the context of the contest is what’s elevating the experience.  

some things that helped me were going right not left on level 1, it flips and changes some of the levels but not too drastically, and also just tried to upgrade speed and missiles (speed first cause then you get more pods total).  Whirlpool level doesn’t come until level 7 on right path which was ultimately key to get 8th.

One thing I didn’t pull off was hitting the jump that goes way over a huge chunk of landform on the laterish river level.  Using force pods strategically could be a good way to boost lower level scores but I never really got up to that either.  Awesome game and totally original and that’s what makes it shine along with other Rare games.  Battletoads also has very original gameplay even if the IP is considered derivative.

To anyone struggling with burnout, I’ve been there too and I’m really only ever focusing on get a good regular season score.  I haven’t missed a contest yet this year… so I always get the +3 but sometimes it means not really putting in the full effort every time and picking your battles.  Sometimes it sadly means that a game you really like or wanted to try doesn’t line up with the right week and you’ll have to half-ass it for the minimum points.  (That was my story this week - I even suggested this game in the pre-season suggestions thread!)  It sucks to not feel like it’s your all but for a regular season total score it’s still better to half-ass it and just keep taking the +3’s.  sometimes you can sneak in top 8 while still not really trying and get a few more.  It’s all a balancing act.  The change over the years from top 5 to top 10 to top 8 with +3 minimum was a way to reduce the spread and boost steady participation as a counter approach to, basically, being able to put up deadly juggernaut scores.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Krunch said:

To anyone struggling with burnout, I’ve been there too and I’m really only ever focusing on get a good regular season score.  I haven’t missed a contest yet this year… so I always get the +3 but sometimes it means not really putting in the full effort every time and picking your battles.  Sometimes it sadly means that a game you really like or wanted to try doesn’t line up with the right week and you’ll have to half-ass it for the minimum points.  (That was my story this week - I even suggested this game in the pre-season suggestions thread!)  It sucks to not feel like it’s your all but for a regular season total score it’s still better to half-ass it and just keep taking the +3’s.  sometimes you can sneak in top 8 while still not really trying and get a few more.  It’s all a balancing act.  The change over the years from top 5 to top 10 to top 8 with +3 minimum was a way to reduce the spread and boost steady participation as a counter approach to, basically, being able to put up deadly juggernaut scores.

I've been trying to at least get participation every week, but only put much time into my favorites that I already know or unfamiliar games that especially grab me such as Quarth. I probably spent the most time on Cobra Triangle. I really wanted a much higher score but it wasn't going to happen on a single life.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I've been trying to at least get participation top 3 finishes every week, but only put much time into my favorites that I already know or unfamiliar games that especially grab me such as Quarth. I probably spent the most time on Cobra Triangle. I really wanted a much higher score but it wasn't going to happen on a single life.

FTFY

• The topic was unpinned