IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Cobra Triangle

BeaIank

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

The target stages are the real make or break for high score. It hurts messing those up.

You're telling me.  I always play out my game for practice, and if you've got homing missiles for the target level right after the crab boss, man do you ever clean up!  I'm guessing that's where a good portion of your score comes from, since I can hit high 400's in a full game.  But I've usually died a few times before I get to the crab boss, and I cannot for the life of me beat that piece of shit on one man (or two, for that matter).  I only have to accomplish it once, though 😉

Anyway, at least I finally got past 100k on my first man...

• Like 1

Okay, you got me mbd; I finally beat the Crab in one life and hit every target in the bonus level (without homing missiles, no less!), but I just cannot get through the first iceberg level without burning through a bunch of men.  That level is way too frustrating, so I'll take the score I've got, and wait around for next week's game... 😛

On 8/12/2021 at 7:52 PM, Richardhead said:

I suggest you jump the fucking river. 

Holy shit I jumped the fucking river without dying. It was my second life, so no score update. But that was pretty riveting. Week has run short with vacation. Wish we got another week of this instead of elevator action. Sorry @Bearcat-Doug. Also, first to predict you win that in crazy beatdown fashion 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Holy shit I jumped the fucking river without dying. It was my second life, so no score update. But that was pretty riveting. Week has run short with vacation. Wish we got another week of this instead of elevator action. Sorry @Bearcat-Doug. Also, first to predict you win that in crazy beatdown fashion 

Did you play any further?

32 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Play again. I made sure to beat your score this morning before work. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Did you play any further?

I played to the crab and lost a life when he was limping. Had to jump on a shuttle to go to dinner pretty quick. Screwed for tonight but hoping I can get some games in tomorrow. 60% chance of rain...

@Richardheadyou son of a bitch! I thought I put up a crazy pre jump the river score. Nicely done 

Edited by NESfiend

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Holy shit I jumped the fucking river without dying.

What I do is wait for about half a second after the level starts and then just hold down B and do nothing else.  All the jumps are timed to be in the right spot when you get to them, making the level go by in about ten seconds... 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I don't know if I'll win, but I'm hoping to have a good showing.

Gee golly whiz gosh but this game is sadistic.  Sometimes it doesn't even seem to play by it's own rules.  On the mine levels regardless of how many speed upgrades I have sometimes the other boats just zip right up and grab the mine and sometimes they don't.

Also, I'm not sure why the mine sometimes blows up right when I get it in the square and my boat along with it.  Doesn't seem like a running out of time thing either...

At any rate this is still one of the most unforgiving, yet fun games I've encountered.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PII said:

Gee golly whiz gosh but this game is sadistic.  Sometimes it doesn't even seem to play by it's own rules.  On the mine levels regardless of how many speed upgrades I have sometimes the other boats just zip right up and grab the mine and sometimes they don't.

Also, I'm not sure why the mine sometimes blows up right when I get it in the square and my boat along with it.  Doesn't seem like a running out of time thing either...

At any rate this is still one of the most unforgiving, yet fun games I've encountered.

This is probably the best description of this game that I've heard yet.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Same here. I'm probably going to have to take a break for a while again. Just too much going on in the real world to spend enough time playing games to be as competitive as I'd like to be. 

😞 Man, I was looking forward to getting some really good competition out of you moving forward.  That kinda stuff is hard to find...