IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Cobra Triangle

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

This is brutal and making me angry all the time, but I'm loving it. Thanks Bea.

49 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It was fun giving this a try, but it's definitely frustrating.

Ah, making people salty over a game. I have succeeded in my objective here. Excellent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

One life rule is going to be horrendous for anyone new to the game.

Insane score. Ive started to play more lives to try to get a feel for the levels. Got to the River jump earlier tonight. Are you freaking kidding me

Edited by NESfiend

Member · Posted
1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I just played all the way through it with continues. I never want to do that again.

Wow congrats. I never beat this. Furthest I got was the third mine disposal stage which is pretty close to the end.

EDIT: Although order of stages depends on the path you take.

Edited by mbd39

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Wow congrats. I never beat this. Furthest I got was the third mine disposal stage which is pretty close to the end.

EDIT: Although order of stages depends on the path you take.

That was probably the toughest stage in the game. I finally cleared it by doing a bunch of tight circles over and over again to keep the computer boats off of me. The final shark boss is really tough too since you have to hit him right in the mouth and you don't get much time. 

Member · Posted
19 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

How far through the game is this? Im thinking we can chalk this up to a game no one will be you at, like tetris and MM. May be off as I haven't played through that much of it. But that seems monstrous on 1 life. 

It's about halfway through the game.

Doug will probably put up a good score.

When we played this in 2018 we could even use continues. This rule set is nuts. But I'm enjoying the challenge.

29 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

When we played this in 2018 we could even use continues. 

I think play til game over would have been fun cause collecting free lives would be super rewarding and there's a bunch, early in game at least. This is cool though. I would never have figured out the whole game in a week anyway. 1 life makes it riveting each extra little bit of progress you can make

Member · Posted
3 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I think play til game over would have been fun cause collecting free lives would be super rewarding and there's a bunch, early in game at least. This is cool though. I would never have figured out the whole game in a week anyway. 1 life makes it riveting each extra little bit of progress you can make

With one life rules you're forced to learn consistent strats because you can't tank your way through anything by burning lives.

Member · Posted

Initial Crap-tastic Participation-Worthy Score Posted.

I seem to get missiles or speed-boost for an upgrade.  Is it completely random ??

That Glissando w/Decrescendo sound effect when you miss a waterfall jump is the same one from Snake Rattle N Roll when you fall off a ledge.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PII said:

Initial Crap-tastic Participation-Worthy Score Posted.

I seem to get missiles or speed-boost for an upgrade.  Is it completely random ??

That Glissando w/Decrescendo sound effect when you miss a waterfall jump is the same one from Snake Rattle N Roll when you fall off a ledge.

One of few things I figured out is you choose your upgrade by pressing select when the option you want is flashing. When an option that you dont want is flashing, get a pod and it moves to the next one. Gradius style. What I dont know is if upgrading missles, for example, 5 times over makes your missles five times better. I suck hard enough it wouldnt matter much, but maybe @mbd39will let us know

• Thanks 1

Member · Posted

After learning the game, I'm really glad it's not play till Game Over, because they put a 1up in the first level, meaning you could just spend a ton of time upgrading yourself on the first level before you even move on.  And even worse, any level with at least one 1up could be looped indefinitely to accumulate points until time runs out and kills you.  It would have been Spartan X-2 all over again.  Making 1ups re-spawn is poor programming, me thinks.

1 life contest for this game was definitely the right decision...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

When we played this in 2018 we could even use continues. This rule set is nuts. But I'm enjoying the challenge.

I should be able to get something decent, but I don't know about good. It will come down to a combination of how much time I get and how much patience I have left with it.

Member · Posted
7 hours ago, NESfiend said:

One of few things I figured out is you choose your upgrade by pressing select when the option you want is flashing. When an option that you dont want is flashing, get a pod and it moves to the next one. Gradius style. What I dont know is if upgrading missles, for example, 5 times over makes your missles five times better. I suck hard enough it wouldnt matter much, but maybe @mbd39will let us know

You can upgrade your missiles three times. Third time gives homing missiles which are quite useful. You can upgrade speed three times. I always do one speed upgrade, but I think that at least two is required for the jumps in a later level.

I upgrade fire until I have the spread shot. It's the easiest to fry the boss monsters with.

Force gives a few seconds of invincibility. It's very useful for the ice stage that I died on, but you need to collect five pods.

• Thanks 1

Member · Posted
7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

After learning the game, I'm really glad it's not play till Game Over, because they put a 1up in the first level, meaning you could just spend a ton of time upgrading yourself on the first level before you even move on.  And even worse, any level with at least one 1up could be looped indefinitely to accumulate points until time runs out and kills you.  It would have been Spartan X-2 all over again.  Making 1ups re-spawn is poor programming, me thinks.

1 life contest for this game was definitely the right decision...

There was a rule against 1up leeching when we played this last time. One life rule also works. Unfortunately respawning 1ups and broken scoring systems are typical in NES games.

12 hours ago, NESfiend said:

How far through the game is this? Im thinking we can chalk this up to a game no one will be you at, like tetris and MM. May be off as I haven't played through that much of it. But that seems monstrous on 1 life. 

12 hours ago, mbd39 said:

i might have a run at it this weekend

• Like 2

• BeaIank unpinned this topic