IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Wrecking Crew!

BeaIank

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Krunch said:

Nothin else from me but added another pic I had with more of the screen of my previous score to my post.  I’m always surprised the golden hammer isn’t more known early on in these contests

found it my first day by accident

Still dont know if there is an actual way to get it, but i replicated what i did everytime just in case!

54 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Still dont know if there is an actual way to get it, but i replicated what i did everytime just in case!

There is. Essentially you have to hit a certain bomb as the third bomb after a certain number of hits (or a multiple of 8 above it). See here for more detail and which bomb is the third bomb on each level (https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Wrecking_Crew/Walkthrough).

11 hours ago, Jeevan said:

Friggin' deafcode 😒 lol

I spent way more time on this, i was going to try to beat bert, but obviously @NESfiend doesn't think that is the highest score, so idk......But here is my best, i think it was like phase 42 or 43.......can't remember

I practiced up to 50 and had them mostly down, but apparently not well enough 😒

l6DaSP5.jpg

Wow! Great job on 500k!!

• Thanks 1

To expand on the main point of how to get the hammer:

Precisely it’s that to get the hammer from the prize bomb, you need to make it so that when you blow up the third bomb, the prize bomb, your total number of hammer swings plus the stage number is 1 number above any multiple of 8.  (9, 17…)

example: on stage 4, blow up the prize bomb as your third bomb to blow on your 5th swing (4 + 5) = 9

there are other rewards for different remainders after 8 such as a cow and Santa.  Meaning even just blowing up the prize bombs third once you have the gold hammer, or while you’re looking to get it but might miss the number of swings and get a lesser item, its a strong point source either way.

deafcode I’m doubly impressed by your score if you were routing anything based on hitting the basic wrench enemies with the gold hammer, or even just doing it, cause that’s not an easy hit to reliably pull off - you really have to get close to them.  On my run and some others I had the hammer on and off, but was able to reclaim it along the way without having a totally set way to have to do it

7 hours ago, Krunch said:

Deafcode I’m doubly impressed by your score if you were routing anything based on hitting the basic wrench enemies with the gold hammer, or even just doing it, cause that’s not an easy hit to reliably pull off - you really have to get close to them.  On my run and some others I had the hammer on and off, but was able to reclaim it along the way without having a totally set way to have to do it

There's a couple tricks to it. You can hit them fairly easily if they are walking up or down the ladder as their hitbox won't hit you until they are off the ladder. On flat ground, your hammer's hitbox is aligned with the grid tile you are on. So, if you are on the far side of the tile you'll always hit them before they hit you. 

Now where I get into trouble is when I'm trying to only swing once to hit them as it's hard to keep track when spamming swings when going for a prize bomb. But eventually I got decent at it. 

14 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

There's a couple tricks to it. You can hit them fairly easily if they are walking up or down the ladder as their hitbox won't hit you until they are off the ladder. On flat ground, your hammer's hitbox is aligned with the grid tile you are on. So, if you are on the far side of the tile you'll always hit them before they hit you. 

Now where I get into trouble is when I'm trying to only swing once to hit them as it's hard to keep track when spamming swings when going for a prize bomb. But eventually I got decent at it. 

Yeah no kidding there’s that extra thing because it’s already hard to keep track of swings and keep it all together.  It comes down to the fact that one second it could be a great run with all the numbers plugged in and then slip it’s all gone that quick.  On a level with a prize bomb, maybe not so bad if you can reclaim it.  On a filler level, that’s bad and worse is a filler level that’s difficult without the hammer cause that’s a good way to burn lives

• The topic was unpinned