IGNORED

Your Thoughts on PS3 and 360 collecting and playability

Lago

First off, I like collecting games.  I’ve shyed away from most things from PS3 onwards because I’m not sure they’ll be playable in a few years.  Either because they were online only, primarily online, or will be missing patches.

Am I missing the boat here?  Do you think PS3 and 360 games will be just as playable as SNES games in 10 - 15 years?  For that matter  will PS4 and Xbox 1 and Switch games?

Honestly I think you should be fine with most PS3 and 360 titles. While PS3 titles required installs that's merely data off the disc, and while patching might be down one day, most PS3 titles worked fine enough out of the gate. It wasn't until PS4/Xbox One where the games are just gutted, unplayable, etc often from the word go 😞

Not being a pro on this stuff, I do assume some day dedicated fans will have methods to preserve various patches and such and create a way for us to access the stuff again too. Where there's a will there's a way.

Edited by goldenpp72

I had your concerns some years ago leading into the PS4 arrival and I actually made the point of dumping around 15+ games I had but keeping the system in the main room because it excelled in blu-ray/dvd and streaming play and still does today.  Weeks ago goodwill locally made a boo-boo and I found a super slim all the hookups and controller with a spare sixaxis for $20 and it blew my mind having that again.  I've already used it for some streaming but really just movies, yet I did scoop up a few games since then I used to own (mostly) and it reminded me how quite a few of them just work, and more than acceptably well without patching, so golden there is right.

The PS4 I did have nearly as it came out, got a ridiculous deal on it, but man was it ever the anti-PS3 for me.  Huge patches compared on anything and everything, and the game quality for Sony controller was toilet circling in quality so I move used it a bit, then dumped it with no regrets.  As it is now, the PS3 may have issues with some games being shoddy if the developer was lazy or had issues without the patching, but in general stuff worked acceptably to perfectly well without so it's safe.

In time I'm sure hackers and others will see the open door the PS3 had and find ways to ram fixes in there whenever Sony flips out the light, or as developers who have tools on there dump their support as well, that may get crack/patched as well though with such cheap fire sticks around not as likely.  The first concern I know of is no PS3 support for Disney Plus in like 10 days which sucks.

Switch games, anything I've had, and while I half like half the titles I've actually used on the system total if that, I never bought game on there that needed a patch for it work.  Switch because I think again of the small internal storage developers are less jerky about it, not all, some are rotten no doubt, so they try and make it right first.  Mostly what Switch has received have been quality of life updates and/or fixes, paid or free DLC, but nothing that like is game breaking rotten, or 1/2 game 1/2 download non-sense like Capcom, 2K, and Rockstar(LA Noire) did.  And in those cases, it's just best not to buy their games at all so hopefully they get the message.

I think the 360/PS3/Wii U generation is pretty safe in terms of both playability and availability. Many games required patches, but generally a playable version of the game existed on the disc. LRG didn't exist and collector's editions were just getting popular so there aren't quite as many variations on titles as there are nowadays. This makes collecting for that generation of consoles somewhat boring, but also very doable.

The current generation and everything beyond will be a nightmare. I'm finally making the jump to all digital with the next set of consoles because of constant day 1 patches/downloads, the lack of actual content on the disc, and the joy it will bring me to never have to add to my physical collection if I don't want to.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Switch games, anything I've had, and while I half like half the titles I've actually used on the system total if that, I never bought game on there that needed a patch for it work.  Switch because I think again of the small internal storage developers are less jerky about it, not all, some are rotten no doubt, so they try and make it right first.  Mostly what Switch has received have been quality of life updates and/or fixes, paid or free DLC, but nothing that like is game breaking rotten, or 1/2 game 1/2 download non-sense like Capcom, 2K, and Rockstar(LA Noire) did.  And in those cases, it's just best not to buy their games at all so hopefully they get the message.

I’m kind of scared for switch. You are correct that many Switch games work right out of the box.   But a few months ago, I popped in Breath of the wild and the switch would not boot the game up. It said I need to upgrade my firmware before it would play the game. I tried to not download the update, just to keep from having to wait for the update, but it would not allow me to start the game.

I know typically when a game has software updates, it will allow you to play without installing the updates. But in this case it would not allow me to play without the firmware update. So I think that breath of the wild is no longer future-proof going forward.

This is something that worries me too. Just picked up the Spyro Reignited Trilogy for the Switch and 2/3 of the game has to be downloaded. Having physical media that doesn't contain the entire game rubs me the wrong way.

Another issue I have is, I only buy disc-based games if they have the case and manual. But sometimes I'll encounter a 360 game with just the information sheet. Are there any lists out there that say which games of recent gens didn't come with instructions?

7 minutes ago, Alder said:

This is something that worries me too. Just picked up the Spyro Reignited Trilogy for the Switch and 2/3 of the game has to be downloaded. Having physical media that doesn't contain the entire game rubs me the wrong way.

Another issue I have is, I only buy disc-based games if they have the case and manual. But sometimes I'll encounter a 360 game with just the information sheet. Are there any lists out there that say which games of recent gens didn't come with instructions?

There are a lot of them. I don't know much about PS3/360, but many Wii U games came without a printed manual, including Nintendo's own games after the first couple of waves, as they deemed a digital manual sufficient.

I’ve got a complete Wii U set.  When I get situated I can give you a fairly definitive list of what came with a manual and what came with just a sheet.  I am  In the midst of relocating.

sniper v2 for the Wii U didn’t come with either.  I believe there is one other game that didn’t have either As well, but I cannot think of it right now.

I still collect for last gen. Not so much the Wii U, simply because I don't own a system/can't find games cheap locally. I have a handful of titles for it but nothing compared to my 360 or even PS3 library. The 360 I've really taken to...mostly because my PS3 is an overheating PoS and I can't play on it now unless I want to risk bricking it. I have to take it apart, clean it and put new thermal paste on. It's just...scary. I don't want to risk fucking it up since it's my original one my mom got me for Christmas when it first came out. Lot of good memories on it.

But neither my 360 or PS3 are hooked up to the internet and I can still play games just fine without patches/bug fixes.

On 11/4/2019 at 12:44 AM, Alder said:

I started making a list for PS4. Did all of the 2013 & 2014 releases. I should probably try to keep working on that at some point.

Basically, I just would watch Youtubers unbox the games which seems to be the easiest way to figure this stuff out.

• Thanks 1

They seem to work well from my limited experience.  You could through the disc in so any patches download when you buy it.  Hopefully they aren't huge and it could cover a good chunk of your library.

Personally I've started rebuying some of those titles on Steam/GOG. It's the generation where patches, etc have made me question owning physical.  Sold my PS3, 360, and the PS4 might see the same date after another year or two.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:48 PM, Astor Reinhardt said:

The 360 I've really taken to...mostly because my PS3 is an overheating PoS and I can't play on it now unless I want to risk bricking it. I have to take it apart, clean it and put new thermal paste on. It's just...scary. I don't want to risk fucking it up since it's my original one my mom got me ...

There's almost 0 risk opening your PS3. I doubt you even need new thermal paste since the only way to really know that is to open it up? Theres probably just a fuck load of dust and dander in it. I can't tell you how many times opening a newer console just to blow compressed air around there keeps them alive. If there is dust visually in the vents, it needs to be hoses out. If you have two hands and one eye, you should be fine.

I used to buy 360 and ps3 when I first started cause they were cheap but once I settled into only cart based stuff I don’t think I’ve bought one in over a year or two. I did manage to accumulate like 200 360 and maybe around 100 ps3 games though. 

edit: I actually had to move 360 games out of the main game room to make space for NES!

Edited by a3quit4s

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

I used to buy 360 and ps3 when I first started cause they were cheap but once I settled into only cart based stuff I don’t think I’ve bought one in over a year or two. I did manage to accumulate like 200 360 and maybe around 100 ps3 games though. 

edit: I actually had to move 360 games out of the main game room to make space for NES!

Space!  My mortal enemy!  That’s reason two on should I collect for PS3/360.  Now that we’ve established the games are playable, the next question is can I make space for the set.

I have not researched either set at all.  My guess is both are fairly large.

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

If you look up the Guinness world record for games there is a video where he shows the complete 360 and ps3 set. It’s goddamn enormous 

edit: this dude 

Man!  That’s a lot of games.  I’d also like to see the system and tv setup for that

I would suggest that you not play Bethesda games on the PS3. Fallout 3 bricked my fat, and Skyrim killed my first slim. Both of them had the same issue the eye would constantly search, it happened when trying to load a after a game freeze. The 360 handles the game freezes better. 

If you do collect, just buy the good games. Both systems have a lot of trash. Also, 360 usually had  the better version of a multi format game. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been collecting 360 games for a while passively and just started PS3 semi-passively.  I have no reservations about these games not being able to be played.  I have a completely professionally refurbished early PS3 fat that's backwards compatible with PSX and PS2 and a 360 Slim that is a tank.  The good news is the 360 will likely be the cheaper of the console to buy and collect now and in the future, plus a ton of the games look and play fantastically.  Oh, there's the backwards compatibility with an XBOX One for a good deal of popular 360 games too that helps.  

I haven't got in to the Wii U yet and most likely won't now that the prices are starting to get too high (simply because Nintendo branded products are always overpriced based on fan demand).  Glad I have a Switch so I can avoid having to buy that after the system gets discontinued and at 5 times the price.  Hah.  

Edited by JCE

I agree with most folks here that the PS3/360 generation will likely be the last truly long-term playable stuff.   If it is indeed the last, I wonder whether that will make it more collectible down the road.

I finished the Wii U set a couple years ago (and have just been topping it off with the trickle of Just Dance and Axiom Verge release here and there).  I was heavy in on Wii U collecting back before the Switch came out and all the decent stuff got ported.  I'm hesitant as to what the long-term viability of the console will be, given its reliance on the tablet - I think tablet longevity and future repairability will be the long pole in the tent for Wii U 15-20 years down the road.

My launch PS3 was reballed and re-thermal pasted back around the same time the PS4 came out and is still going strong.  My gaming cabinet has a 120mm vent fan right in front of the thing, so hopefully overheating shouldn't be a problem if I keep it dusted out.  I've been slowly adding PS3 games to my collection over the years, but not really doing any active intentional collecting on it.  I'm about 70% through the set I think (is the US set still thought to be around 1,090 games?).

5 hours ago, VGCollectaholic said:

I agree with most folks here that the PS3/360 generation will likely be the last truly long-term playable stuff.   If it is indeed the last, I wonder whether that will make it more collectible down the road.

I finished the Wii U set a couple years ago (and have just been topping it off with the trickle of Just Dance and Axiom Verge release here and there).  I was heavy in on Wii U collecting back before the Switch came out and all the decent stuff got ported.  I'm hesitant as to what the long-term viability of the console will be, given its reliance on the tablet - I think tablet longevity and future repairability will be the long pole in the tent for Wii U 15-20 years down the road.

My launch PS3 was reballed and re-thermal pasted back around the same time the PS4 came out and is still going strong.  My gaming cabinet has a 120mm vent fan right in front of the thing, so hopefully overheating shouldn't be a problem if I keep it dusted out.  I've been slowly adding PS3 games to my collection over the years, but not really doing any active intentional collecting on it.  I'm about 70% through the set I think (is the US set still thought to be around 1,090 games?).

That’s roughly what I saw when I looked into it.  Mind you it was a cursory look to get an idea of the library size.  Roughly 400 more than I expected.

• 3 weeks later...

Early this year i completed the european xbox 360 set. Almost 1200 games. And also started the classic and best sellers versions of games.

Xbox 360 was my first console i collected hardcore for. Love all those special games.

And yes... also all those Kinect games 🙂

Edited by Caranten
  • Wow! 1