IGNORED

NES - Star Code Boxes, Circle-T Manuals, and Star Code Manuals

On 9/20/2021 at 3:06 PM, Columbus said:

Ok...so the going consensus is watagames Definitive list is NOT , in fact ,definitive or accurate. And in a field that specializes in grading and valuing said games ...that are currently selling for millions can't find the time or effort to submit such a variant that in fact could yeild and or generate serious revenue for the business would fail to even mention it's existence???? Can anyone post a photo of there variant USA star code Rev-A oval SOQ bearing (TM) ? so far I've yet to see it and if you do own said variant how do you value it? 

I think it is a great resource, and no one has a fully "Definitive/final" list of all variants- even those of us that collect them. Wata's list also even included "possible" variants in purple etc.

As far as value, I am not your best resource. Hope all goes well with your sale.

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

So what first got everyone into collecting star code games? 

I have to presume it's because the incorrect theory that it was meant to indicate the game was given away as a promotional item. With that story it sounds like a cool thing to collect. A lot cooler anyway then the real story they it just indicates updated "for sale in" text.

• Like 1

I honestly had never even heard of star codes until probably this year. I've actually learned a lot about different variants ever since coming here. I don't seek out manuals with star codes, but it is pretty cool to find them. It's also really cool to go back through your collection and notice that you actually have at least one of them. Or in the case of my BurgerTime manual, bought one without even knowing it was a star code version. It makes them feel just that extra bit special.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnimalHouse said:

No but I found one on ebay. Link here

I was under the impression all star code nes box variants were R only. Asking anyone here: Is SMB star code the TM exception or others like Metroid, Dragon Warrior, Mike Tyson, etc etc all have 'em too?

Zelda 1 and 2 both only came as Oval TM with the star code.

• 1 year later...

So i just stumbled on this and saw I was mentioned with regard to the star manuals.  It's been over a decade since I did the research into it, but I may have misspoke in the quote I made.  For some reason it's in my brain that the star was meant to denote the epilepsy warning being in the manual, not the protection TV one.  Both were on separate inserts before the switch.   Assuming the circled T is for the TV warning, this would make perfect sense, and would also be an easy thing for me to have confused 😛Though I have long since sold off my manuals, so I have no way to double check this.  And I'm not reading through 7 pages to see if this was previously mentioned, so forgive me if this is redundant.  But yeah, I'm sure someone here can confirm/refute this idea.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Apologies if I'm necro-ing the thread, but I'm in the middle of doing some research on Metroid NES variants, and while the original post in this thread mentions that Metroid has a ⭐ box, it's not on the list of ⭐ manuals. I've just come across an eBay auction, though, which shows a ⭐ manual:

Spoiler

Star-manual.jpg

Star-box.jpg

I hope it's okay to dig this thread up to report this. Just wanted to help make sure the list was as complete as possible.

7 hours ago, re4mat said:

Apologies if I'm necro-ing the thread, but I'm in the middle of doing some research on Metroid NES variants, and while the original post in this thread mentions that Metroid has a ⭐ box, it's not on the list of ⭐ manuals. I've just come across an eBay auction, though, which shows a ⭐ manual:

Reveal hidden contents

Star-manual.jpg

Star-box.jpg

I hope it's okay to dig this thread up to report this. Just wanted to help make sure the list was as complete as possible.

No need to apologize. We always love people coming in to show some NES love. I kind of let this project and thread go by the wayside because I just ran out of free time. I think @ThePhleo probably has a pretty thorough list at this point, so he may be tracking.

• Like 1