IGNORED

NES - Star Code Boxes, Circle-T Manuals, and Star Code Manuals

Star Code Boxes

The prevailing theory used to be that the star indicated the game was given away as a promotional item. However, as per previous discussions on NA and from my personal experience, the preponderance of evidence indicates the addition of a star probably represents an update to the sales and warranty info on side of the box to read "FOR SALE IN USA AND CANADA ONLY (+/- MEXICO)." As far as I can tell, the star code is  usually found on first-party Nintendo releases that had an initial circle SOQ release, then continued production as an oval SOQ release. There is one known exception to this rule (Dragon Warrior), which only has an oval SOQ version. It seems that around the time of the switch to the oval SOQ, Nintendo updated their warranty and sales statement on the side of the box. It is likely that many of the first-party games that had their SOQ switched were shipped without the updated statement, hence the requirement for an update and the star revision. This would generally be the last revision for most games that had the star, with the exception of major changes and re-releases (LoZ, LoZ II, and MTPO/Punch-out!!!).

I've  attached a picture of my MTPO with star code and two copies of Dragon Warrior (-1 without start and-1 with star) for reference. These are NOT the Nintendo Power promotional copies of DW because they are the -1 revision. I don't have a non-star MTPO but I'm pretty sure it does not have the statement. I will thumb through my collection and eventually update this post to be more definitive based on your feedback and my own anecdotal evidence.

Please let me know if you have any info to support or refute this theory. 

Star Code Box Games List (in progress)

Spoiler

1. Donkey Kong Classics (suspected, but never proven)
  2. Dragon Warrior
  3. Golf
  4. Legend of Zelda
  5. Legend of Zelda 2
  6. Metroid
  7. Mike Tyson's Punchout
  8. Pinball
  9. Rad Racer
  10. Super Mario Bros
  11. Super Mario Bros 2

Star Code Box Pictures

Spoiler

IMG_20191101_234141.jpg

IMG_20191101_232952.jpg

IMG_20191101_232924.jpg

Circle-T Manuals

Late-gen releases and revisions have a Circle-T symbol on the front cover of the manual. This seems to indicate that the "Projection TV Warning" that was previously included as a separate pack-in sheet, has now been included within the manual. Evidence for this conclusion is two-fold:

1. All manuals with the Circle-T that I have examined have the projection warning
  2. Several major re-releases/revisions that added a Circle-T to their manual have been examined and the only notable difference in the manuals is the projection warning. See pics below for examples.

Interestingly, very late gen releases (July 1993 and on) drop the Circle-T and the projection warning. Big thanks to @0xDEAFC0DE for reviewing dozens of manuals to contribute to the list below.

Circle-T Manuals List (in progress)

Spoiler
  1. Blades of Steel (Konami Classic Series Version)
  2. Championship Pool (Red 4 Version)
  3. The Legend of Zelda (Classic Series Version)
  4. The Legend of Zelda 2 (Classic Series Version)
  5. NES Play Action Football (White 4 Version)
  6. Nobunaga's Ambition II
  7. Golf Grand Slam
  8. Galaxy 5000
  9. Formula One: Built To Win
  10. Flight Of The Intruder
  11. Family Feud
  12. Dragon's Lair
  13. Double Dragon III
  14. Disney's The Little Mermaid
  15. Disney's Tale Spin
  16. Disney's Darkwing Duck
  17. Caveman Games
  18. Castelian
  19. Captain America And The Avengers
  20. Break Time: The National Pool Tour
  21. Race America
  22. Adventure Island II
  23. Advanced Dungeons And Dragons: Heroes Of The Lance
  24. High Speed
  25. Home Alone
  26. Home Alone 2
  27. Hudson Hawk
  28. Ikari Warriors III
  29. Jackie Chan
  30. Joe & Mac
  31. Maniac Mansion
  32. Mega Man 3
  33. Mega Man 5
  34. Metal Mech
  35. Mission Impossible
  36. Monster Truck Rally
  37. NES Open Tournament Golf
  38. NES Play Action Football
  39. Ninja Crusaders
  40. Nintendo World Cup
  41. North And South
  42. Palamedes
  43. Paperboy 2
  44. Pirates!
  45. Power Punch II
  46. Prince Of Persia
  47. Puzznic
  48. Kabuki Quantum Fighter
  49. R.C. Pro Am II
  50. Rollergames
  51. Shatterhand
  52. Side Pocket
  53. Silver Surfer
  54. Space Shuttle
  55. Starship Hector
  56. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
  57. Startropics
  58. Super Mario Bros. 2
  59. Super Mario Bros. 3
  60. Superspike VBall / Nintendo World Cup
  61. Tecmo NBA Basketball
  62. Tecmo Super Bowl
  63. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
  64. Tetris
  65. The Addams Family
  66. The Adventures Of Rad Gravity
  67. The Adventures Of Rocky And Bullwinkle And Friends
  68. The Bard's Tale
  69. The Blue Marlin
  70. The Blues Brothers
  71. The Hunt For Red October
  72. The Immortal
  73. The Punisher
  74. The Simpsons: Bart Versus The Space Mutants
  75. The Untouchables

Circle-T Manuals Pictures

Spoiler

WCNpDAI.jpg

SbvPBxN.jpg

Ir2MeeN.jpg

mDzbxMU.jpg

Star Code Manuals

The prevailing theory is that this star was added to manuals that were revised to include a rear projection TV warning (RPTV). This is usually a brief statement saying "Nintendo recommends against using a rear projection television with your NES as image retention may occur."

Some games started with a star on the manual then lost it on a revision (NES Play Action Football), started with and maintained it (Little Nemo), and others added it as a revision (LoZ). There are also many games with both the Circle-T and star (Play Action Football), which further muddies the water. Big thanks to @0xDEAFC0DE for reviewing dozens of manuals to contribute to the list below. Any help here is much appreciated.

Star Code Manuals List (in progress)

Spoiler
  1. The Legend of Zelda
  2. Little Nemo
  3. NES Play Action Football (White 4 Version)
  4. Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt
  5. 1943
  6. A Nightmare On Elm Street
  7. Battle Chess
  8. Bigfoot
  9. Blades Of Steel
  10. Cabal
  11. California Games
  12. Championship Bowling
  13. Code Name Viper
  14. Crystalis
  15. Dick Tracy
  16. Disney's Chip And Dale Rescue Rangers
  17. Goal!
  18. Gremlins 2
  19. Heavy Barrel
  20. Hollywood Squares
  21. Hoops
  22. Ivan Ironman Stewart's Super Off-Road
  23. Jack Nicklaus' Greatest 18 Holes Of Major Championship Golf
  24. Jeopardy: Junior Edition
  25. Journey To Silius
  26. Kickle Cubicle
  27. Little Nemo :The Dream Master
  28. Loopz
  29. Low G Man
  30. N.A.R.C.
  31. NFL
  32. Ninja Gaiden
  33. Phantom Fighter
  34. Punch Out!!
  35. Rad Racer II
  36. MTV Remote Control
  37. Road Blasters
  38. Rocket Ranger
  39. Side Pocket
  40. Skate Or Die 2
  41. Snake Rattle N Roll
  42. Spot
  43. Startropics
  44. Super Gloveball
  45. Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt / World Class Track Meet
  46. Super Mario Bros. 3
  47. Swords And Serpents
  48. Tecmo World Wrestling
  49. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  50. The Adventures Of Gilligan's Island
  51. The Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout
  52. The Mafat Conspiracy

Reference Threads

Extra Space

Edited by DoctorEncore
Formatting, Info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Wow! 1

I think you're pretty much right with the start code on boxes denoting the addition of the "For sale and use in ...". However, Zelda 1 provides a small exception. The star code and the for sale label both were added at the same time to the Oval TM box. But, when the box was updated to the Oval R, the star was removed from the code (see pictures from two ebay listings below). Additionally, the Classic Series rerelease also did not have a star code (but the box code was changed to NES-ZL-USA-1).

Z1OvalR.png.544520094db8097ce64e9ad2e7ecad50.png

I'm curious to know what seals are on your MTPO and DW? If they are both Oval TM, I'm guessing the star code only came on boxes with that seal.

EDIT: I looked at the Wata thread you linked, and they have a picture of a Oval R Super Mario Bros with the star, so there goes that theory.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I think you're pretty much right with the start code on boxes denoting the addition of the "For sale and use in ...". However, Zelda 1 provides a small exception. 

I answered you in the other thread, but just to get everything in the right place, here was my answer.

Awesome. Thanks for posting all this stuff. I'll eventually update it to include the manual info too. Then we can have all star info in it's own thread.

MTPO and DW are both oval SOQ. I'm quite sure it only applies to oval SOQ games. And besides DW, only oval SOQ games that started as circle SOQ

Edited by DoctorEncore

1 minute ago, DoctorEncore said:

I answered you in the other thread, but just to get everything in the right place, here was my answer.

Awesomeh. Thanksfor posting all this stuff. I made a topic about it in the collector's corner. I'll eventually update it to include the manual info too. Then we can have all star info in it's own thread.

MTPO and DW are both oval SOQ. I'm quite sure it only applies to oval SOQ games. And besides DW, only oval SOQ games that started as circle SOQ

There are actually two variations of the oval seal. One has a TM in the lower right (see picture below), the other has a ®. Which one of these do you boxes have?

Also, Zelda 2 came with a star code. Picture from an ebay auction with Oval TM seal below (https://www.ebay.com/itm/264486988906).

Z2StarBox.thumb.jpg.2167855c35b029411d14e0f77b238f24.jpg

• Like 1

While, I'm posting I'll copy over my manual information from the other thread. I don't care if you copy it to the first post or just link here. 

That thread is where I heard about the projection TV warning in the manual. Here's the quote from the_wizard_666, "The asterisk on the manual designated a minor addition - when projection TVs were introduced, a warning leaflet on the use of the NES with projection TVs was inserted. The warning was later added to the manual instead. Older releases that were reprinted with the warning inside the manual have an asterisk beside the code - usually after, but sometimes before. Later games didn't need the asterisk, because they never had a printing without the warning. As with anything else involving reprints, there are some titles who's * variant manuals are rarer, and some who's non-* variants are tougher to come by. But as with screw variants, etc, they don't really command a premium."

Despite only owning 6 manuals (I'm a loose NES guy), I happen to have two super mario bros./duck hunt manuals one with the star and one without ( what a coincidence, I only own one cart. I got the other manual at an estate sale in a dust sleeve with a non mario game). I only found three major differences. Two are the Oval TM or R, and the © 1988 or © 1988,1989. But, below I have a picture of a Zelda manual that has the star, Oval TM, projection warning, and © 1987,1989 (credit for the picture goes to @rondy, I hope he doesn't mind me sharing). So, the only consistent change is the addition of the rear projection TV warning with the star.

smbStarManual.thumb.jpg.773ccad5ab3edad03857324dac0a7363.jpgz1StarManual.jpg.f55297ac635d448b9b20c553e980532d.jpg

For Zelda 1, there are at least two revisions of the manual with the NES-ZL-USA-1* code. One I posted above and below is the other with the Oval R seal (again credit to rondy). Also, the Classic Series manual was NES-ZL-USA-2 (no star).

z1StarManualR.jpg.e57b23e7640dcad4c3fe4c22b27fbc48.jpg

1 hour ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

There are actually two variations of the oval seal. One has a TM in the lower right (see picture below), the other has a ®. Which one of these do you boxes have?

Also, Zelda 2 came with a star code. Picture from an ebay auction with Oval TM seal below (https://www.ebay.com/itm/264486988906).

Nice detective work. So there are at least two exceptions to my circle to oval seal theory.

45 minutes ago, austin532 said:

So now we need to see if there are any oval seal * boxes with an ®. If so then the box code starts over when it switches to an ®.

There is. Look at the second link in the OP (the black box WATA guide) and go to the second post with the picture. There is a Super Mario Bros Oval R with a star

3 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The Dragon Warrior and MTPO that I have in my collection both have the oval SOQ TM.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, austin532 said:

So now we need to see if there are any oval seal * boxes with an ®. If so then the box code starts over when it switches to an ®.

The real question is whether SMB Oval SOQ TM has the star code and updated sales/warranty statement. Will have to do some investigating there.

Also I looked into the Play Action Football manual situation and I'm starting to think the red 4 version was actually the first print because it comes with a non-star manual (pics below). I always assumed the red 4 was the revision since it's so much clearer and seems like a better graphic, but I may have been wrong. I'll get a copy and look in the manual for any of the differences listed above. The box codes do not appear to indicate a revision (i.e. no -1 on either version).

Further complicating the matter is Championship Bowling, which apparently started with a blue 4-player symbol and transitioned to the red symbol. In this case, Nintendo did consider it a major revision and added a -1 to the box (tough to see on last pic but it's there; will update when I have a copy)

Screenshot_20191103-111011__01.jpg

Screenshot_20191103-115554.jpg

Screenshot_20191103-112551.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore

No, I'm pretty sure the white 4 player game is first. You'll notice on the side of that box of NES Play Action Football the sales and warranty statement is now in an easier to see red bar. Nintendo stuck with this until the end of the system's life. Also the manuals now had that red "Need Help With Assistance?" memo on them. The changed happened sometime in '91. If you need further proof, check the dates on the inside of both NES Play Action Football games. The red logo game "should" have a later date.

26 minutes ago, austin532 said:

No, I'm pretty sure the white 4 player game is first. You'll notice on the side of that box of NES Play Action Football the sales and warranty statement is now in an easier to see red bar. Nintendo stuck with this until the end of the system's life. Also the manuals now had that red "Need Help With Assistance?" memo on them. The changed happened sometime in '91. If you need further proof, check the dates on the inside of both NES Play Action Football games. The red logo game "should" have a later date.

Yeah that seems correct. I'll have to get my red 4 version to confirm everything. I did find a pic of the inside of the first page of the manual and it is different. It adds a disclaimer statement. The star manual has the rear projection warning at the back.

inCollage_20191103_172035641.jpg

Does the non star manual also have the rear projector warning? I seriously think they just goofed with this. At the time they probably felt the manual was complete and there was nothing else left to add. Then came along the reprint and they were like "oh crap, we already used the *...uhhh.....just print it without I guess? Who's going to notice except a bunch of nerds 30 years from now on something called the internet"

4 hours ago, austin532 said:

Does the non star manual also have the rear projector warning? I seriously think they just goofed with this. At the time they probably felt the manual was complete and there was nothing else left to add. Then came along the reprint and they were like "oh crap, we already used the *...uhhh.....just print it without I guess? Who's going to notice except a bunch of nerds 30 years from now on something called the internet"

I will have to check when I get a copy of the red 4 version. I put an offer on a new copy but haven't heard back yet. The picture of the No-Star Manual was from an auction on eBay. No idea why they put the first page of the manual in the pictures section, but people do some strange stuff.

Updated the original post with info about Circle-T symbol on the manual which seems to indicate the addition of the projection TV warning into the manual.

The star on the manual remains a mystery, so if anyone has any info, please let me know. I'll keep looking for games with versions that add the star with a revision.

The transition from Oval SOQ TM ---> Oval SOQ R, may involve an additional statement on the Nintendo assurance page of the manual, but that is somewhat unclear still.

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Updated the original post with info about Circle-T symbol on the manual which seems to indicate the addition of the projection TV warning into the manual.

The star on the manual remains a mystery, so if anyone has any info, please let me know. I'll keep looking for games with versions that add the star with a revision.

The transition from Oval SOQ TM ---> Oval SOQ R, may involve an additional statement on the Nintendo assurance page of the manual, but that is somewhat unclear still.

I think the Star Code is synonymous with the Circle T. Only way to prove my theory is meeting two criteria:

1. No Star Code manual should exist with a Circle T (Or at least, very, very few should exist...maybe as a transitionary period)
  2. All star code manuals must have the RPTV warning in the book.

2 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

I think the Star Code is synonymous with the Circle T. Only way to prove my theory is meeting two criteria:

1. No Star Code manual should exist with a Circle T (Or at least, very, very few should exist...maybe as a transitionary period)
  2. All star code manuals must have the RPTV warning in the book.

Interestingly enough, NES Play Action Football (White 4 Version) has both. Based on @0xDEAFC0DE's post above, LoZ has a transition to a star code manual. Unfortunately I don't have a copy with the star code manual to compare... yet.

12 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Interestingly enough, NES Play Action Football (White 4 Version) has both. Based on @0xDEAFC0DE's post above, LoZ has a transition to a star code manual. Unfortunately I don't have a copy with the star code manual to compare... yet.

Interestingly, out of the 9 manual revisions I know of for LoZ, I was able to find 7 scans online. The only ones missing are the first print manual, and the first star manual. The first 6 have no star, circle T, or RPTV warning. The next two have the star code and the small RPTV warning at the bottom of page 1. The last one has the circle T and the full page RPTV and epilepsy warning on page 45.

Manual Scan Link
NES TM No scan found
NES R, No Precaution https://web.archive.org/web/20191112053204/http://74.86.217.179/index.cfm?FuseAction=Element.View&etID=3&egID=1304&eID=1306
No code, Precaution https://www.nesfiles.com/NES/Zelda/Zelda.pdf
Circle SOQ, Code https://zeldadungeon.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=52
Oval TM SOQ, 5-zip http://zs.ffshrine.org/legend-of-zelda/english-instruction-manual-scans.php
-1, 9-zip https://legendsoflocalization.com/media/the-legend-of-zelda/manuals/ZeldaNESManual.pdf
-1*, Oval TM No scan found, pictures of page 1 and 2 in my post above
-1*, Oval R https://archive.org/details/LegendOfZeldaTheNESHiResScans
Classic Series https://web.archive.org/web/20191112053152/http://74.86.217.179/index.cfm?FuseAction=Element.View&etID=3&egID=1304&eID=3214

I tried to see how many scans I could find for the 5 manuals for Zelda 2 I know of. But, along the way I discovered another I didn't know about (the fourth below). The first 4 have no star, circle T, or RPTV warning. The next one has I think has the star code and the small RPTV warning at the bottom of page 1. The last one has the circle T and the full page RPTV and epilepsy warning on page 48.

Manual Scan Link
Circle SOQ No scan found, ebay link https://www.ebay.com/...
Oval TM SOQ, 5-zip https://www.retrogames.cz/...
Oval TM SOQ, 9-zip, no star No scan found
Oval R SOQ, 9-zip, no star http://www.thegameisafootarcade.com/...
Oval R SOQ, 9-zip, star No scan found, ebay link https://www.ebay.com/...
Classic Series https://www.gamingalexandria.com/...

EDIT: I forgot to note that the transition to the star manual happened after the switch to the Oval R seal. Zelda 1 is the opposite with a Oval TM seal and star code manual.

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

7 hours ago, austin532 said:

For the NES TM I assume you mean on page 2? If so, I have one. It came with a label 1 Zelda.

Yes that's correct. I do have pictures of the cover and copyright page, I just haven't found a full scan of the manual. For the purposes of this thread it doesn't really matter because the 5 revisions that came after it also didn't have the RPTV warning.