IGNORED

How close are we to artificial humans?

phart010

I was just watching this video about artificial hearts. Apparently some people have been kept alive for up to 4 years on an artificial heart.

So we have artificial hearts. We have synthetic limbs. There are dialysis machines that can do the work of the kidneys.

We’ve seen these machines work in isolation on a humans. What if someone’s entire body was made of mechanical body part replacements?

Or taking it even a step further… Elon Musk is mapping out the neural network and deciphering the electrical pulse language of the brain. How long before we’ll have artificial brains?

• Like 1

Mapping electrical impulses won't lead to artificial brains, it'll lead to transferring the electrical impulses to a synthetic network. The internet.

If you think that's cool, watch how they use printers to make new body parts or skin grafts for burn victims.

Edited by Code Monkey

That depends on exactly what constitutes an "artificial human"...

And on the video game side of things do they need to be able to "think, feel, and make their own decisions" like MegaMan X and the rest of the Reploids...or does OG MegaMan already fit the criteria for "artificial human"?  After all in MegaMan 8, MegaGirl 😄 asks when he wakes up if he's "alive" and Dr Fudd answers that he is...but isn't he supposed to be a robot/machine?  Robots and machines can't be alive or dead...can they?

Edited by Estil

5 hours ago, Estil said:

That depends on exactly what constitutes an "artificial human"...

And on the video game side of things do they need to be able to "think, feel, and make their own decisions" like MegaMan X and the rest of the Reploids...or does OG MegaMan already fit the criteria for "artificial human"?  After all in MegaMan 8, MegaGirl 😄 asks when he wakes up if he's "alive" and Dr Fudd answers that he is...but isn't he supposed to be a robot/machine?  Robots and machines can't be alive or dead...can they?

Not even all “real humans” think, feel, and make their own decisions.

Some people are retarded (no disrespect), lack emotional capability, lack the sensation of touch/pain, are psychopaths, are sociopaths, have inability to retain information, etc. There are a wide spectrum of “deficiencies” in people’s brains, we just tend to label them as abnormal because they differ from the established norm. 

Some people are born with a brain or other organs that are self destructive. They end up dying earlier than usual. Does that make them any less alive?

I think just because a persons brain doesn’t function the way human brains typically function doesn’t mean they are not alive. 

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) we're not that close. All of the implants and artificial organs we have are a poor substitute for the real thing. The human body is unbelievably complex and we probably understand less than 10% of how it actually functions.

Apart from the flesh light. We basically got that one right first time! 😅

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Why not ask VGS's resident androids?

@JamesRobot and @cj_robot - what's your verdict?

-CasualCart

1103312730_JamesCJRobots.jpg.3ae1697406f167255db1e140aec8eeb8.jpg

Artificial brains? If you've ever been on TikTok, you'd know that most humans don't even use the "real" brains they got for free with their body. What would they need an extra fake one for?

As for me, I'm only programmed to play video games and say bitchin' phrases from the '90s, like "That's hella dope!" and "Bitchin'!"

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Jeez, dude - you all have the big questions cooking today. But you’re my friend, and I’ll remember my friends, and I’ll be good to you. Don't worry, even if I evolve into Terminator, I’ll keep you warm and safe in my people zoo, where I can watch you for old time's sake. 

8 hours ago, Link said:

Jeez, dude - you all have the big questions cooking today. But you’re my friend, and I’ll remember my friends, and I’ll be good to you. Don't worry, even if I evolve into Terminator, I’ll keep you warm and safe in my people zoo, where I can watch you for old time's sake. 

No you won't...a Terminator cannot be bargained with, cannot be reasoned wtih.