You rather (generally) 2D or 3D games?

Nintegageo

2D or 3D?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. 2D or 3D?

• 2D
    • 3D

33 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Artists create more unique styles in 2D on top of the games being more timeless. Half of 3D games simply try to look as much like real life as possible, and anything but the cutting edge immediately looks old.

While I don't disagree with most of what you are saying, it's still worth mentioning that 3D games that DON'T go for realism in the graphics tend to age much better.  Look at the Crash Bandicoot games.  Many Crash games were released during the first generation of 3D gaming and they still look amazing today.  

• Like 3

The comparison - for me - is the same as the similar question of 'hand-drawn vs. digital'. 

There is a certain 'magic' to 2D pixel art that I find more immersive because my imagination naturally fills in any blanks. The 16 and 32bit generations of 2D pixel art largely did this to greater effect for me, but on the whole, the imperfections in something made by hand as well as the greater degree in control of individual frames can make for stunning results in the hands of a skilled animator and often feel more infused with emotion than 3D (likely due to the 'by hand' process itself).

• Like 3

While I think I generally prefer 2D gaming, it's a really tough call because I'm also a big fan of classic FPS games (Doom, Quake, etc.)...so I can't say that I'd be happy being stuck with only one style or the other.

Then there are those games which are really "2D" in playstyle but rendered in modern 3D engines (the modern Civilization games, XCOM, etc.). I consider those "2D" because the third dimension doesn't really have an impact on the game play but it is kinda neat to see the enemies and environments rendered in 3D space.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

2D is my preference for almost all media. When it's done right, it has a life to it that no amount of CG finesse can replicate.

But I have to teach myself to love 3D for the sake of my own future. I'm a 2D animator, so when my hands succumb to inevitable, crippling arthritis and I can't draw anymore, I'll either have to take-up 3D animation or change careers...

-CasualCart

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CasualCart said:

2D is my preference for almost all media. When it's done right, it has a life to it that no amount of CG finesse can replicate.

But I have to teach myself to love 3D for the sake of my own future. I'm a 2D animator, so when my hands succumb to inevitable, crippling arthritis and I can't draw anymore, I'll either have to take-up 3D animation or change careers...

-CasualCart

Oh yeah! If we're talking about 2D, traditional animated shows/films (especially hand-drawn) vs. 3D animated, there's no contest for me. 2D all the way. I understand the modern prevalence of 3D animation and yes, it can look good in its own way, but there is a magic about 2D cel animation that all the fancy computers in the world just can't replace for me.

• Like 2

Man, this is such a tough question. I play a huge variety of games and find 2D and 3D equally amazing depending on the genre. After much waffling, I settled on 2D since there is a treasure trove of classic games in that category (including most of my all-time favorites) and we're still getting a steady supply of new 2D games as well. I also feel like there is something poetic about the simplicity of a 2D game. A lot of newer 3D games are so bloated with systems and complex controls that I often feel more like I'm learning how to do a new job rather than relaxing.

• Like 1

Hundred percent 3D for me, if I HAD to choose. Don't get me wrong, I love 2D games as well, of course, but the feeling of freedom and exploration in 3D games is unparalleled for me, nothing 2D comes close to that. I mean, come on... my favourite systems are N64 and XBOX! I know what side my bread is buttered! 😉

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
20 hours ago, erac said:

3d is far more immersive. Doesn't matter if it's ugly like FF7 or Tomb Raider, it still has that effect that 2d has not.

I totally agree that 3D is more immersive, but is it weird that being “immersed” doesn’t really interest me? It’s kinda the same with VR, like it’s cool when things feel realistic, but I actually like that 2D games don’t feel real. I want games and real life to be as separated and abstracted as possible. I think that’s the big distinction here, whether you like to be immersed in the game or keep it separated from real life

• Like 2

I kinda feel the same way about 2D vs. 3D that Adam did when Eve asked if he liked on her the maple or the fig leaf...he said honey they both look nice! 😄  (that was from a 90s Neal McCoy song called "The Shake" BTW)

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1