IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon!

BeaIank

Just now, NESfiend said:

Even though its a beat em up, its such a classic/staple in the NES library, I figured Bert would be a monster at it. Was def surprised there. More surprised @PIIdidnt do a sunday score update to kick me off the podium. He was at 222k wed or Thurs. I figured he was grinding trying to get to you and mbd territory. 

True. I expected the same, especially since Bert didn't even play through all of his lives. The 50k score seemed like he was just messing with us.

Member · Posted
3 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Even though its a beat em up, its such a classic/staple in the NES library, I figured Bert would be a monster at it. Was def surprised there. More surprised @PIIdidnt do a sunday score update to kick me off the podium. He was at 222k wed or Thurs. I figured he was grinding trying to get to you and mbd territory. 

I didn't have much time over the weekend or I would have been grinding away.  I had a really great run late on Sunday that involved finishing off machine gun willy with headbutts for the first time, but I had changed my strategy somewhat for an unexpected drop in points...

Just now, PII said:

I didn't have much time over the weekend or I would have been grinding away.  I had a really great run late on Sunday that involved finishing off machine gun willy with headbutts for the first time, but I had changed my strategy somewhat for an unexpected drop in points...

I tried to headbutt Willy once and it got me shot, so I gave up on that approach and worried about just getting to Jimmy with as much energy as possible.

Member · Posted
1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I tried to headbutt Willy once and it got me shot, so I gave up on that approach and worried about just getting to Jimmy with as much energy as possible.

There's a safe spot where he can't shoot you. Then you can bait him into shooting by kicking or punching and then get free headbutts on him. I didn't do it in my 345k run because it's kind of cheap. I'd have had over 350k had I done it.

Member · Posted

N

9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

There's a safe spot where he can't shoot you. Then you can bait him into shooting by kicking or punching and then get free headbutts on him. I didn't do it in my 345k run because it's kind of cheap. I'd have had over 350k had I done it.

I actually thought about having seen you post how to cheese the final boss section on NA by finding a safe spot. Was wishing I knew how to access old threads to check it out. Thought it would be pretty lame to ask during competition. I want to beat it legit anyhow. Did a casual run after close of competition last night and made some progress on him. Pretty brutal when he kills you, it resets that whole line of enemies, so the one life I had on reserve wasnt that helpful. 

Member · Posted
1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

N

I actually thought about having seen you post how to cheese the final boss section on NA by finding a safe spot. Was wishing I knew how to access old threads to check it out. Thought it would be pretty lame to ask during competition. I want to beat it legit anyhow. Did a casual run after close of competition last night and made some progress on him. Pretty brutal when he kills you, it resets that whole line of enemies, so the one life I had on reserve wasnt that helpful. 

There are at least a couple different safe spots for the Machine Gun Willy fight.

I don't have a consistent strat for the final boss. I just use elbows and kicks, and hope for the best.

21 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I tried to do it like the video and somehow got shot. I gave up on it since I didn't want to risk an hour long attempt for a few thousand extra points.

Member · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I tried to do it like the video and somehow got shot. I gave up on it since I didn't want to risk an hour long attempt for a few thousand extra points.

Another safe spot is at the very bottom of the platform with your foot right above the bricks.

Member · Posted
1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Lol yeah, you definitely should have beat me. Laying headbutts on machine gun willy is straight up crazy.  

Ha ha, yeah; I'll getcha next time.  It's also easy to walk him off screen to either side and get him with the elbow.  I'll have to try that with headbutts as well sometime and see if it works..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PII said:

Ha ha, yeah; I'll getcha next time.  It's also easy to walk him off screen to either side and get him with the elbow.  I'll have to try that with headbutts as well sometime and see if it works..

I guess you could headbutt him using that trick standing at the bottom of the screen. I'll have to try that.

42 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Congrats on the win, @Bearcat-Doug. Busting out of retirement in style with a monster win. Glad your back in the mix and hope it continues!

Thanks! @mbd39 really pushed me to the limit on this one. As quickly as you were improving, you probably would have been right there with a few more days to practice. 

• Like 2

• BeaIank unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to VGS!

Play, Make, Collect.

Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

Join the conversation!

• Similar Content

• By BeaIank
      Welcome, welcome!
      This week we will see who will be crowned the VERY FIRST VGS NES Weekly Contest Racing champion!
      Right now, the dispute has @NESfiend with 30 points and a very comfortable lead of 5 points over @PII, who has 25 points. With 22 points, @Dr. Morbis has no chance to take the crown from Nesfiend, so the dispute this week is between only him and Pii
      To decide this matter, the game of choice is R.C. Pro Am II. The rules are as follow:
      Player 1p only Play till game over You are not allowed to use continues. You ended 4th? TOUGH LUCK! You are done for. You can't name your character NES in order to start with $5000 before race 1. Take your picture at the highscore screen The player with the highest amount of points win Genre: Racing Pedal to the metal, ladies and gentlemen.

The contest ends Sunday, 10/24/21 at midnight Brasilia time. Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun
    • By BeaIank
      Welcome to the last round of the Action genre in the 2021 VGS NES Weekly Contest, which will define who will claim the title and bring it home!
      For the Action genre run, we have @Dr. Morbis leading with 28 points, with @PII and @bertsampson tied in 2nd with 23 points. Finally @NESfiend and @mbd39are tied in 4th with 21 points. All of them have the chance to claim the title, despite the big lead Dr. Morbis sports.
      The rules for this week are as follow:
      1 life only Once you die, take your picture death screen, which stays on for a very short time, or wait till you respawn, pause the game and take your picture If you beat the final boss without dying, be quick to take a picture of him dying then pause the game when you respawn at 1-1 It is not allowed to point press at the boss door if you have flying. Once you reach the boss door, you have to go in. Highest score wins Participation: 5,000 points Genre: Arcade
      Best of luck, gentlemen and gentlewomen.
      The contest ends Sunday, 10/17/21 at midnight Brasilia time. Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun
    • By BeaIank
      Hello and welcome, players!
      Be prepared, for this week you will have to rely on your fists, feet, knifes and machine guns to make through P.O.W.!
      This week will decide who will claim the crown to the Beat 'em up genre, proving they are the best bare hand fighter at VGS!
      @mbd39 currently leads the Beat 'em up scoreboard, with 23 points. Right behind him we have @NESfiend with 22 points, Krunch is creeping really close to both of them with 21 points.
      The three of them are the only ones with a chance to claim the title!
      So, without further ado, here's the rules
      Play until Game Over No point racking If you score less than 20,000 points, be ready to take your picture at the Game Over screen (it doesn’t stay up long) If you score more than 20,000 points, start a new game to get your score Each extra life remaining after beating the game adds 5000 points to your score. Highest score wins GENRE: Beat ‘Em Up
      The contest ends Sunday, 10/10/21 at midnight Brasilia time. Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun
    • By BeaIank
      LADIES AND GENTLEMAN! Welcome to another deciding round of our VGS NES Weekly Contest!
      This week will decide who will claim the title of best arcade player of 2021!

Right now @Dr. Morbisleads with 25 points, followed by @Jeevan with 23 points and @mbd39 with 21 points. @NESfiend with 18 points isn't completely out of the race!
      To decide the Arcade genre winner, we will be playing THUNDER AND LIGHTNING!
      The rules are simple:
      Pick 1 player mode Play till game over or till you beat the game Take your picture at the title screen. Your score will be showing at 1P and at Hi Highest score wins Participation: 10,000 points Genre: Arcade Have a good, fair fight lads.

The contest ends Sunday, 10/03/21 at midnight Brasilia time. Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun
    • By BeaIank
      Ladies and gentlemen, we are BACK with the last round of games of our beloved VGS NES Weekly Contest!
      To decide who will wear the laurels and claim the fame of being the 2021 VGS NES Weekly Contest Sports champion, we have one epic game of brutal action, where basketball meets street brawling!
      ARE YOU READY FOR Nekketsu Street Basketball?
      The rules are below:
      Pick battle mode (2nd option in the game) Pick 1P mode Pick Nekketsu as your team (first team in the screen) Pick US Navy as your opponent (second team in the screen) Pick the VEGAS stage to play on (second stage to the left, with the slot machines icon) Take your picture at the end of the match. Highest score difference for the Nekketsu team wins Participation: Beat the second team
      @0xDEAFC0DEhas a very comfortable 4 points lead over @NESfiend, who is the only who can challenge him for the Sports title this year.
      For Nesfiend to win, he needs to win this week and hope @0xDEAFC0DE doesn't score over 6th place, since he will be tied on most wins, but loses on the 2nd tie breaker, most 2nd places.
      Will he be able to pull such a miracle to claim the crown? Time will tell!
      The contest ends Sunday, 09/26/21 at midnight Brasilia time. Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun