IGNORED

Can I Kick It?

DarkTone

Would anyone here use kickstarter to make a game? Have you ever backed a game through it? 

I've backed a few projects. First was MN9 and despite what happened, I still wanted to back other projects. Games like Undertale and Shovel Knight showed that there is positivity in KS. I'm sure some people never looked back after getting screwed during the event. Hell, I always wanted to be in a game, and thanks to KS I am (NPC and weapon designer). 

What's you're thoughts? Ever wanted to back a game? 

I've backed many NES games on it and would probably use it if I was trying to make my own. I may try to get in touch with 6502 collective as well to see what differences there would be using someone else as opposed to me doing it all. The pandemic didn't help of course but I've never been burned and some games just took forever to get. I backed Wittenhagens second release of black box challenge and got the wood box, I think it took over a year to get. Dungeons and Doomknights looks awesome but the creator just keeps adding and adding to it so that'll be another one that takes a year. 

I'm only backing games that are done from now on and just trying to raise money to make cart releases ala Slow Mole. 

Excellent title for the thread. 

Edit: Eyra the Crow Maiden took forever too. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

Would I?  No, because I wouldn't back one either so it would be hypocritical.  I've seen too many of them from KS and others(who unlike KS will NOT refund the money) where things didn't work out and backers got hosed to trust it.

I could see a better route than those crazy claims doing what some others have and just setup patreon accounts and let people donate as they choose, a dollar here, a 100 there, whatever one time to weekly, monthly, whatever.  It's more motivational to keep updates going, progress reports steady, open input etc, because if you slack, you're cut off.

• Like 1

I backed R Type Final 2 and Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. Both games did not ship to me until several weeks after the games hit store shelves..

While I personally didn’t mind as I have a huge backlog, I found that to be very inconsiderate on the publishers part. The backers should get their game before the general public since the game would not have been possible without the backers.

I did not back Eiyuden Chronicles

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I usually approach Kickstarter as a collector. Specifically I will only back a video game or board game if there's a limited edition thing I can only get as a Kickstarter backer. In the case of homebrew, I'm typically tempted by a limited print run physical copy. But I did back a few digitally instead, such as Nebs N Debs. I back for the cheaper digital copy tier when I'm just voting to say "yes please, great project idea, here's a vote and a tiny sliver of money". 

I think many folks have been burned by Kickstarter projects. I know it's been best for me when I just back it then forget it. 

The Kingdoms of the Dump campaign has been my favorite so far. There's a steady stream of sneak peeks on their Instagram and Kickstarter, where they post ongoing project updates. This makes it fun to wait vs. a nuisance. It feels more like I'm part of their process. 

TLDR yes you can

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of it, most of my online money comes from selling other things, so having to suddenly scrape together the cash to back, then wait forever to get the item, well it seems like a shitty system to me.

I'd rather by at leisure, from a regular online shop.

Edit: I only backed on ks game so far, project Blue (FC), I'm still waiting for it. I honestly forgot I ordered it, and after having played and completed the rom, when the game does show up, it'll be shelved directly, also not a particularly nice feeling.

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I have no problem with Kickstarter - it is all about diligence and expectations.

I've talked to many people in our community who are very unhappy with Kickstarter.  But personally, I've backed well over a dozen projects, and am overall very happy with what Kickstarter has enabled these projects to do.  It's not just about raising funds - Kickstarter is a great platform that keeps things organized and all in one place, and is good for advertising and highlighting certain projects.

A significant majority of the projects I've backed, have been been completed at some point, so I haven't been burnt badly.  The majority of them have had delays, but that was built into my expectation.  I go into it just assuming they won't meet their deadline, and thus I'm not too disappointed.

Most of the projects I've backed are video games, but I've also backed some art projects, books, and other things as well.  All in all, it has been a super fun system and I'm really happy it exists.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
16 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Would I?  No, because I wouldn't back one either so it would be hypocritical.  I've seen too many of them from KS and others(who unlike KS will NOT refund the money) where things didn't work out and backers got hosed to trust it.

It’s not getting hosed. Backers know what they’re getting themselves into, if things don’t work out that’s unfortunate but there was never a guarantee that there would be a final product. If that’s not a risk you’re willing to take, that’s understandable but I don’t agree with backers playing the victim when things don’t work out. 

I agree that patreon feels better as a solution but it really isn’t all that different apart from how it’s framed

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Would anyone here use kickstarter to make a game? Have you ever backed a game through it? 

I've backed a few projects. First was MN9 and despite what happened, I still wanted to back other projects. Games like Undertale and Shovel Knight showed that there is positivity in KS. I'm sure some people never looked back after getting screwed during the event. Hell, I always wanted to be in a game, and thanks to KS I am (NPC and weapon designer). 

What's you're thoughts? Ever wanted to back a game? 

I backed The New 8-Bit Heroes/Mystic Searches. Still waiting for the game, but it was nice of them to go and create NES Maker as a required tool for making Mystic Searches. And then never really making Mystic Searches. And basically telling backers to f*ck off when they ask about Mystic Searches.

Edit: I just checked the Kickstarter page and it seems there was a good update on April 14. 

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
  • Like 1

I'd use Kickstarter to help finance a game myself, but on a personal level I'm pretty much done backing any kickstarters that don't need my backing. It's kind of a rough thing to say (I'd love my own KS to go as high as possible), but a lot of kickstarted games really don't benefit from going way above their original goals, instead trapping the developers in an endless cycle of adding unnecessary stuff.

And as a backer, I've yet to receive any actual "benefit" from being there from the start. On the other hand, I've more often than not (as often as in pretty much every thing I've backed) experienced getting a worse copy of the game, paying much more than "slacker backers", or waiting literally months to receive the game after everyone else had been able to just go to a store/storefront to get theirs. Even otherwise great games like Bloodstained and Shovel Knight have been guilty of this, and I don't really have any reason to subject myself to it anymore.

But if someone is enthusiastic about a game that needs KS to be made, I'll be there to help them get there.
If they are just strategically using the kickstarter platform as a tool in their marketing campaign? I'll pick the game up when it's done thankyou.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

I've backed a lot of stuff on Kickstarter, and every thing I've backed I've eventually received, including games.  However, I don't believe I will ever back another game, unless it's something I truly believe in and might not happen if I don't back it.  I've backed a few games that, in hindsight, could/would have been done without crowdfunding and I'm not a fan of that.  If a group has the means to develop a game without crowdfunding (by their own admission), then they shouldn't be using it in the first place.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I backed The New 8-Bit Heroes/Mystic Searches. Still waiting for the game, but it was nice of them to go and create NES Maker as a required tool for making Mystic Searches. And then never really making Mystic Searches. And basically telling backers to f*ck off when they ask about Mystic Searches.

I'm really not sure why there's do much animosity there. I didn't back the Kickstarter, but I just looked at the campaign now and the Kickstarter was for the following:

"The creation of a new 8-bit game for the NES, a documentary about its creation, and tutorials to help others make their own NES games."

A documentary was created, a program with tutorials to help people make NES games was developed, and holy shit, a brand new NES game was also created!

IIRC, backers had the opportunity to receive Mystic Origins, a brand new NES game, and a full game at that. Or if they didn't mind waiting, they could wait for the development of the original concept, Mystic Searches, to be finished at some future date and then have it.

So what exactly is the problem here? The guy delivered on two of the three items, and for the third item, I'd personally say he delivered on it too, as he provided a full game for backers. So what exactly is the problem?

@WhyNotZoidberg: Gonna call you out here, since you ignored my initial reply and have replied in other threads since then.

You wanted to call out Joe Granato for his Kickstarter? Then at least respond to what I posted. I don't see that Mr Granato did something wrong, obviously you feel differently, let's discuss it man to man. Or...

15 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

@WhyNotZoidberg: Gonna call you out here, since you ignored my initial reply and have replied in other threads since then.

You wanted to call out Joe Granato for his Kickstarter? Then at least respond to what I posted. I don't see that Mr Granato did something wrong, obviously you feel differently, let's discuss it man to man. Or...

Not all negative, hell I even edited my post to comment about a more recent update, but the cold facts are that the promised game has yet to be delivered and anyone following it since then can tell you that Mr Granato and/or his organization have offered flippant wall-of-text responses to very legitimate questions and rants about the development of the game. 

They did a movie, yes, they built a game-making tool (the proposed tutorial from the original project?),yes, and they made a game called Mystic Origins to offer backers an out, yes. Were I them I would have called that game Mystic Searches, shipped and called it a day but that's just not what they did. They made it clear that this was because they couldn't deliver on Mystic Searches.

I didn't take the out and so I watched the project turn from Movie/Game to Movie/NES Maker (NES Maker is an awesome project in its own right btw) and as they did live streams of working with NES Maker, held NES Maker contests and what not, us backers were left scratching our heads as to why this wasn't being put to use in making the game. They're probably working on it still. This whole thing is probably more of a communication issue than anything else, but it still rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. There were entire threads dedicated to this on NA.

edit: Or... what? wtf dude.

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Not all negative, hell I even edited my post to comment about a more recent update, but the cold facts are that the promised game has yet to be delivered and anyone following it since then can tell you that Mr Granato and/or his organization have offered flippant wall-of-text responses to very legitimate questions and rants about the development of the game. 

They did a movie, yes, they built a game-making tool (the proposed tutorial from the original project?),yes, and they made a game called Mystic Origins to offer backers an out, yes. Were I them I would have called that game Mystic Searches, shipped and called it a day but that's just not what they did. They made it clear that this was because they couldn't deliver on Mystic Searches.

I didn't take the out and so I watched the project turn from Movie/Game to Movie/NES Maker (NES Maker is an awesome project in its own right btw) and as they did live streams of working with NES Maker, held NES Maker contests and what not, us backers were left scratching our heads as to why this wasn't being put to use in making the game. They're probably working on it still. This whole thing is probably more of a communication issue than anything else, but it still rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. There were entire threads dedicated to this on NA.

edit: Or... what? wtf dude.

Yeah, you suck dude...that's what I get from it all.

They made a movie, a program, and a game. The initial game increased in scope, and people got butt hurt over it, despite the author offering an out to resolve this potential situation. That's what I see, anyways.

You even mention yourself what you'd do if you were in that situation. You'd change names, they didn't, why the eff are you so bothered by it then, they offered a full game, or if you prefered waiting, they offered another game. During development often times games change names, what's honestly the big Deal? It's just folks wanting to bitch, that's how I see it anyways, if you feel differently, please explain.

Administrator · Posted

You two disagree on something, and that is fine.  Sometimes people just don't want to argue.  No one is obligated to keep on discussing something, because sometimes they know it is just a back and forth that ends up going nowhere.  

I wouldn't want to continue a discussion with someone who told me "you suck dude" because they didn't like my response.  You are being unusually aggressive here and there is no need for it.

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

Not to mention that no one is obligated to reply or respond to you...

If stalking someone's online/browsing status and getting so upset with a lack of reply you publicly them out over their opinion (especially when it's in no way a personal attack to you) doesn't seem at least a little inappropriate, I don't know what to say...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spacepup said:

You two disagree on something, and that is fine.  Sometimes people just don't want to argue.  No one is obligated to keep on discussing something, because sometimes they know it is just a back and forth that ends up going nowhere.  

I wouldn't want to continue a discussion with someone who told me "you suck dude" because they didn't like my response.  You are being unusually aggressive here and there is no need for it.

Here we go again, you calling me out all because a year and a half ago I offered to buy you an Xbox game at cost and you declined, feeling it was beyond your budget. Then you got passively aggressive towards me after I decided to buy the same game, even at a slightly higher cost than the one I offered to help you get. Give it an f'ing rest mate!!! It's funny how quickly you forgot the sealed unlicensed PS game I sold you for cheap, oh wait, I remember a NA auction where I was asking some cheap amount (i.e. $20 on some rare unlicensed PS thing I paid $6 for), got literally no bids, but you were begging me on discord to somehow dump the thing...$20 , ...

It's the double standards, the asshattery that pisses folks off. Whether Mr Granato was in the right or not, he tried to make things right, to make amends, from what I've seen anyways, and people still bitch about it. 

Either we disclose it all and discuss and debate, or we admit we are being a bit unfair to a guy that rarely even comes to these forums. Come on, I thought we were Better than this.

Administrator · Posted

My comments have absolutely nothing to do with an xbox game or anything at all about any of our previous discussions.  You keep pointing to that, but it has nothing to do with this whatsoever.  You keep dragging that up but it is completely irrelevant and not impacting my response here in any way.

6 minutes ago, neodolphino said:

Not to mention that no one is obligated to reply or respond to you...

If stalking someone's online/browsing status and getting so upset with a lack of reply you publicly them out over their opinion (especially when it's in no way a personal attack to you) doesn't seem at least a little inappropriate, I don't know what to say...

Nope, I respect you mate, but you're calling this one wrong.

It's happened dozens of times over the years on NA, then VGS, by dozens of members not just me. If a person quotes another, and the other person refuses to respond, that's a shitty ass move. Period. 

Just now, spacepup said:

My comments have absolutely nothing to do with an xbox game or anything at all about any of our previous discussions.  You keep pointing to that, but it has nothing to do with this whatsoever.  You keep dragging that up but it is completely irrelevant and not impacting my response here in any way.

Sure, go on and tell yourself that.

Administrator · Posted

It would be extremely immature and inappropriate, for me to treat you differently because of any previous trade or potential discussions, which we have already addressed and moved on from.  I harbor no ill feelings at all from any of our previous trades.

My issue, is with your specific behavior here.  It was unnecessarily aggressive, and then you told someone bluntly "you suck" when he responded.  That is uncalled for, and needs to stop.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this further than it already is.  Back to the discussion at hand, I know many other people were unhappy with the deliveries and timelines from that particular Kickstarter.  I wasn't personally affected, and I don't know all the details about exactly what happened, but from what was explained to me, I think he probably did make some mistakes / questionable decisions that upset people, but I also think some people overreacted about it.

6 minutes ago, spacepup said:

It would be extremely immature and inappropriate, for me to treat you differently because of any previous trade or potential discussions, which we have already addressed and moved on from.  I harbor no ill feelings at all from any of our previous trades.

My issue, is with your specific behavior here.  It was unnecessarily aggressive, and then you told someone bluntly "you suck" when he responded.  That is uncalled for, and needs to stop.

Yup, that's biased behaviour. If you view other threads and people purposely don't answer, you will see similar attitudes with members calling other members out. One recent example would be in the incident thread, where Khan pings code monkey for making a inflammatory comment and then refusing to respond when asked about it.

I agree it's very immature how you've been acting, only trying to cause drama on my posts, just because you got pissed I bought an X Box hand for a price you didn't want to pay. 

Homebrew Team · Posted
20 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Nope, I respect you mate, but you're calling this one wrong.

It's happened dozens of times over the years on NA, then VGS, by dozens of members not just me. If a person quotes another, and the other person refuses to respond, that's a shitty ass move. Period. 

So wait. You're saying because -you- quoted -him-, he is then -obligated- to reply to you?? Come on man...

Had he quoted you and said something inflammatory toward you or argued your points, then didn't reply to your rebuttal, I could -maybe- see your point, but that's not the case.

Getting mad at someone for not responding to you when you are demanding that response (without that person having engaged you at all in the conversation) seems unreasonable. Sure, you may want to argue their point, but I don't think there is any rule, unwritten or otherwise, that obligates them to respond to you.