IGNORED

Valve announces Steam Deck

Brickman

7 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Figured you guys might like this vid, goes in to a lot of the technical details about it and whatnot. Definitely learned quite a bit about it from this vid, and I'm feeling pretty darn confident about my reservation at the moment.

Thanks for the video, looks great.

I’m hoping to get some hands on play with this in October or November. My cousin owns a game studio (well technically just sold it) and is the CEO. He has a few of the dev steam decks and said I can come to the studio to check them out. I’ll report back once I get to try one 🙂

• Wow! 1

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Thanks for the video, looks great.

I’m hoping to get some hands on play with this in October or November. My cousin owns a game studio (well technically just sold it) and is the CEO. He has a few of the dev steam decks and said I can come to the studio to check them out. I’ll report back once I get to try one 🙂

Oh wow! Yeah, I'd definitely love to get some early first impressions of it. Mine won't be coming until sometime in Q2 of 2022, so I'll have plenty of time to cancel if reviews come out and it doesn't turn out as promising as it's looking.

• 1 month later...

Hmm we haven’t talked about Steam Deck since August 7.

I wonder if this news is worthy of discussion:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/phil-spencer-steam-deck-xbox-games-work-well%3famp=1

Phil Spencer Has a Steam Deck, and Says Xbox Games Work Well on It

9453D46C-ED6A-4E5F-AD82-3C539950E937.thumb.png.714c0d94674c85285d5469f91ee6dc39.png

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/9/2021 at 12:49 PM, Pendragonx said:

I think I've finally come around to thinking this is pretty neat.  I -- are I say it -- might actually preorder one

A device like this is probably the only thing that could get me to start going through a ridiculously long backlog of games that I want to play on PC, because I simply don't play PC games.  Especially if someone can make some good/easy tutorials to load GoG games.  I have a tooooooooon of GoG games I want to play.

• Like 1

I don't understand how their reservation que works.  If you sign up now it says availability after Q2 2022.  For me it says I put in my reservation on July 17th, and still says my expected availability is after Q2 2022.  So it's exactly the same as a person who pre-orders today?  That makes no sense. 

Edited by B.A.

3 hours ago, B.A. said:

I don't understand how their reservation que works.  If you sign up now it says availability after Q2 2022.  For me it says I put in my reservation on July 17th, and still says my expected availability is after Q2 2022.  So it's exactly the same as a person who pre-orders today?  That makes no sense. 

It probably means that they didn't sell enough units to totally sell out their first batch ordered from their overseas factory.  In that light, it makes perfect sense, and is a good thing for folks who were on the fence about buying one, with no effect for folks who stormed the beaches to preorder as soon as it was possible to do so.

29 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

It probably means that they didn't sell enough units to totally sell out their first batch ordered from their overseas factory.  In that light, it makes perfect sense, and is a good thing for folks who were on the fence about buying one, with no effect for folks who stormed the beaches to preorder as soon as it was possible to do so.

That doesn't jive with the talk of the 1st batch being available in Feb though.  From everything I read they are shipping them out in order of reservation.

22 minutes ago, B.A. said:

That doesn't jive with the talk of the 1st batch being available in Feb though.  From everything I read they are shipping them out in order of reservation.

Then I guess everybody who's talking publicly about their reservation dates and ETAs, regardless of how early they got in, actually missed the first batch (most likely quietly reserved by Valve specifically for reviewers, "influencers," etc.), and are all part of the second one.  Hard to say, though, with Valve not releasing any specifics regarding how many units were available in each wave, and seemingly zero regular folks coming forward to talk about having an ETA that reflects the possible PR announcement (versus true shipping date) that Valve alluded to yesterday.

Valve's wording does say they're going to start "getting these out the door" by the end of February versus "these will be in folks' hands" by then, so perhaps they're quietly, in a misleading manner, actually talking about when completed units will get on the boat and leave China.  If that's the case, a ~Q2 delivery date to consumers would make some sense given the amount of time stuff like that often takes to make its way over via container ship, combined with all the delays we've seen with such stuff in the last year or two.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I assume you'll be getting an email saying you can now pay...

"Customers will have 3 days (72 hours) from receipt of their order email to make their purchase, before their reservation is released to the next person in the queue”

also -- I think emails won't start till 10am PST if i recall correctly..

Edited by Pendragonx
  • Thanks 1

Valve posted this

"Steam Deck: Q1 Shipping Details

Hi!

Happy launch day! We’ve seen some questions about what it means to be in the Q1 reservation group, and when these folks will receive their emails. Here’s how it breaks down.
  • All people who are in the Q1 reservation window on the Steam Deck store page will receive an order email by the end of March. (Q1 is Quarter 1, or January through March).
  • The first batch of emails has already gone out this morning.
  • The next batch of emails will go out on Monday, March 7th. (It turns out the logistics work out better if we don’t try to ship over a weekend.)
  • We’ll continue sending emails to Q1 reservers in the order their reservations were made on a weekly basis through the end of March (March 14th, 21st, 28th)
  • In April, we’ll start going through the Q2 queue in a similar fashion.

We’re working through our production schedules, and will have news soon for folks in the After-Q2 bucket."

Which surprised me as I thought they were just rolling emails out as needed.. not waiting a week apart :-/  seems like that will take a long time

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Events Team · Posted
On 7/11/2022 at 4:00 PM, Splain said:

Trying to decide if I want one, now that I'm seeing them everywhere. I already waited too long to order, I wonder how long it would take if I ordered today.

A loooooong time most likely. Probably, at best, maybe this time next year, but even that's a somewhat optimistic estimate I feel.

I placed my pre-order around 3 days after pre-orders first opened, and according to a handy little bot someone made to estimate your time in the queue, I'm roughly 10% of the way to my order email. Probably won't get mine 'til maybe very late August or early September.