IGNORED

Turbografx-16. Is it worth collecting/playing?

m308gunner

I had a turbografx back when the system came out,was awesome but I let my older brother borrow it years later and now it's gone,still have the box but that's about it.

I thought about getting a pc engine as well,just sucks the system by its self is a bit up there in price,also my buddy lives in Japan and I asked him if he ever seen a pc engine in the junk section at Hard Off,his answer was never.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, NES CONNOISSEUR said:

All the games I ever wanted to play /own will be on the up coming  Turbo Graphix 16 Mini..

I do want to agree with that statement, but it is lacking some really good stuff.  I think we can all figure they're using an android setup with a TG/PCE front end over the top as pretty much everyone has for the most part.  So unless Konami went out of their way in hardware to really block up hacking the thing, fixing the few personal holes anyone would have shouldn't be a problem in the coming days/weeks beyond the March release date.  I have a PCE + Everdrive, but geez I'm tempted on this even more than the at games 2018 genesis, or even a post-hacked neo geo device just due to the possibilities on the optical side of things.

You know I have this TG-16 Everdrive card just sitting here collecting dust for a couple years (I got it on sale so as not to let my tickets go to waste or something) and I was just wondering if TG-16 consoles have come down in price any?  I mean sure I can play the best two out of three in the 3rd-8th gens but it might be nice to have the "Ross Perot console" of the 4th gen 🙂   But didn't the consoles go up to like at least $100 or something? 😞

32 minutes ago, Estil said:

You know I have this TG-16 Everdrive card just sitting here collecting dust for a couple years (I got it on sale so as not to let my tickets go to waste or something) and I was just wondering if TG-16 consoles have come down in price any?  I mean sure I can play the best two out of three in the 3rd-8th gens but it might be nice to have the "Ross Perot console" of the 4th gen 🙂   But didn't the consoles go up to like at least $100 or something? 😞

You could probably pick up a PC Engine for $50 - $75.  Your Everdrive should play all the games (Japan and US) on the PC Engine.

6 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

You could probably pick up a PC Engine for $50 - $75.  Your Everdrive should play all the games (Japan and US) on the PC Engine.

Good advice here.  Or you could bump that up a few bucks to a Core Grafx so you'd at least have composite video out. Orrrrrrrrr be extra cool and grab a PCE Duo.  Then you could play all the cd stuff as well.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Unless you get lucky and someone wasn't ebay browsing, yeah it's at least $100 for a base console with a controller, maybe the original hook ups if you're lucky which is RF only, to get the real pure feed off it you need an expensive turbo booster beast to latch on the back that'll cost you that much or more too.  The best best is the Japanese Core Grafx 1/2 (same really, color change externally on ink) system as it's non-RF and even on a modern set puts out an incredibly clean image and will cost you a fraction of the price of a TG+booster combo.  Since you have the ED already it has a teeny switch on it you slide to PCE and you're good and it will read and play any US/JP title either way you go.

The PCE alone isn't worth it, you'll be messing with those high japanese channel 99 messes on a TV which can be a problem or working some work around for it.

On 11/5/2019 at 9:50 AM, Tanooki said:

sounds like the thankfully dead PCFX forum that's for certain. Especlally the clown that caused it all who eventually got booted before the site got dropped.  T

I'm hoping you're talking about good ol Nightwolve?

Buy this from the member here:

zeppelin03

• Glass Joe
  • zeppelin03
  • Subscriber
  • coind.png.5a4d08b7bb3716cc7866716be07061
  • 131 posts

All prices are shipped in the US.  I am willing to ship internationally but the difference will need to be covered.  Clean conditions throughout.  Thanks for looking.

Consoles

RGB modded SNES JR(Includes hookups)- $75

Super NT - $150

RGB Modded Turbografx 16 (Includes hookups, controller) - $110

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 8:43 AM, tbone3969 said:

Buy this from the member here:

zeppelin03

• Glass Joe
  • zeppelin03
  • Subscriber
  • coind.png.5a4d08b7bb3716cc7866716be07061
  • 131 posts

All prices are shipped in the US.  I am willing to ship internationally but the difference will need to be covered.  Clean conditions throughout.  Thanks for looking.

Consoles

RGB modded SNES JR(Includes hookups)- $75

Super NT - $150

RGB Modded Turbografx 16 (Includes hookups, controller) - $110

I would only need S-video hookup.  That's the best my monitor can take.

On 12/2/2019 at 7:43 AM, Sumez said:

Why even consider TG-16 when you have the PC Engine? Exactly the same hardware, but a much bigger, more expansive game library.

One of my favourite console platforms for sure, but what they saw released in the US was an embarrassingly small subsection of what it had to offer.

Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about the TG-16.

What is the difference between the TG-16 and PC Engine. I keep seeing people say those two things, but can't get a clear idea of what they are/how they differ.

4 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

What is the difference between the TG-16 and PC Engine. I keep seeing people say those two things, but can't get a clear idea of what they are/how they differ.

They are not different internally.  TurboGrafx 16 is the US release and PC Engine is the Japanese release. Think of the difference between an NES and a Famicom.  Only differences are cosmetic.  Now with that said the Japanese library is much larger and has a ton of great games that never saw the US.  The US set is around 150 games while PC Engine is over 500.

Edited by tbone3969
  • Thanks 1

Turbografx/PCE is an amazing system both with Card and CD games. Problem is if you haven't started collecting early or have a six figure salary its too pricey to collect. The best way to experience with hardware without investing in games is the Duo System (recapped or have the later DUO R or RX) and everdrive and burned cds or get the basic console with the Super SD system. That Super SD system is pricey but it can play card and CD games including super and arcade card with RGB and Stereo output.

Also that TG/PCE mini going to be awesome and the better way to experience the system the practical way.

20 hours ago, m308gunner said:

Same as how the US has the Sega Genesis and other countries have the Mega Drive. They are same thing but had the system locatizated with different names and console design. Since the TG16 didn't sell as well in the West, most the titles are for the PC Engine.

14 hours ago, Sumez said:

Yeah, if you can mod your US console to play Japanese games, you're golden. But definitely don't miss out on the vastly superior import library. Playing only US/EU TG16 titles would be like buying a Saturn and... only playing US/EU titles.

Given the Saturn US library, I get what you mean, but you'd still be worse off with just TG hucards, ugh.

16 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Given the Saturn US library, I get what you mean, but you'd still be worse off with just TG hucards, ugh.

Saturn library is like the N64 to me, great stuff at the high end but overall is pretty rough.   I'd take u.s. turbo over u.s. saturn, sprites age better than polygons

• Like 1

21 hours ago, m308gunner said:

I have no idea why you got thumbed down asking that, ugh.

The TG16 is the US/EU version of the PC Engine.  They are regionally locked, but only due to a switch around in how the pins are read on it, sort of like how the Neo Geo MVS and AES games are the same boards but the pins are moved so no one can get away with a cheapie with arcade distributors of the time.

The PCE came out unlike the TG16 in many forms.  The original like the TG16 had only RF output, and it sucked for it.  In the US they put out an expensive huge latch on device in the rear called the turbo booster for simple RCA output.  In Japan they took the white little PCE (which is the size of like 4 CD jewels stacked up, seriously, turned it gray, and called it the Core Grafx and then Core Grafx2 when they did a minor internal revision, there was also this strange shell unit that was called the Shuttle.

Both systems went the first route of CD drive add-on and did it better than any others could have hoped to quality wise (consistency and quantity.)  At this level yet again you wanted to know about differences, there are.  The US got the short end of it again big time.  There was the CD addon device for the TG out the back which had RCA but if you bought a booster it's a doorstop now, or you got the Duo that came in just one model.  Japan though, choices, many, there was the CD lock on unit in a couple styles, a third option was a horizontal dock called the IFU that did ultimately the same, and then there was not only the Duo but a couple models and a later -RX model as well.

Then there was portable.  US got the Express and any handheld did card only.  Japan though it got the LT which is a very rare tabletop (or not) handheld unit that was formed a bit like the GBA SP opened up, and then the GT which was their Express.  In the cases of the true handheld, screen was better than Gamegear perhaps Nomad, but lacked the resolution so some games text got jacked up and unreadable which sucked, but the LT didn't suffer this.  I know I'm probably shorting some other differences, but that's most of it.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hyrulevyse said:

Saturn library is like the N64 to me, great stuff at the high end but overall is pretty rough.   I'd take u.s. turbo over u.s. saturn, sprites age better than polygons

Having owned both and imported optical on both, you will not a sliver of argument out of me on that.  Also the Saturns RCA ability was ghosty garbage too but for some realm of black magic within the NEC consoles RCA was sharp, even today is sharp on a LCD panel too without the ghosting or blur which I find strange as my Core Grafx is just crisp.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Having owned both and imported optical on both, you will not a sliver of argument out of me on that.  Also the Saturns RCA ability was ghosty garbage too but for some realm of black magic within the NEC consoles RCA was sharp, even today is sharp on a LCD panel too without the ghosting or blur which I find strange as my Core Grafx is just crisp.

I've been saying that for years!  NEC composite just looks better than everyone else's somehow