IGNORED

Turbografx-16. Is it worth collecting/playing?

m308gunner

The TurboGrafx-16 is certainly worth playing but as others have said, may not be the best for collecting these days.  The US library is fairly small, and it includes some unfortunate turds, but overall the TG-16 has a charm all it's own and is probably one of my favorite consoles of all time.  The timing of its release put it right in that sweet spot between NES and SNES/Genesis, with simple but colorful sprites and solid gameplay.  It represents one of the pinnacles of retro gaming, especially if you have a soft spot for underdog consoles like me.  Enjoy!

The games are fun, but it isn't worth collecting for.  I've got the super sd system 3 from Terraonion and love it, but it's a little pricy so It might not be for everybody.

If you want to get a taste for the system and it's games, then get a TG16 mini when they come out.

Edited by CMR

Turbo Grafx 16 seems to be out of the realm of the regular consumer at this point (at least for me). If I were to collect it, there would be no possibility of me being able to afford a complete set unless I went HuCard only. To me that's not worth it. I would love to have the outer cardboard boxes and jewel cases with manuals...but I do have a few turbo Grafx Games I picked up when they were dirt cheap, some I would recommend:

Bonks Adventure & Revenge

Bloody Wolf

Neutopia I & II

Splatterhouse

Dragons Curse

Keith Courage

Ninja Spirit

Legendary Axe I & II

These should satiate your crave to play turbo games and if you only collect the popular titles, you may be happy 🙂  they are all in the realm of possibility to at least get the jewel case and manuals ($50 - $150) and are really fun games to play. (keep in mind I live in Canada and everything is 30% more expensive with conversion and shipping.)

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, DefaultGen said:

TG16 is cool but overhyped a bit. Bonk isn't better than Mario, Legendary Axe isn't better than Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden, Neutopia isn't better than Zelda. Good games, but not 'worth' 10x what NES/SNES counterparts are. Other 8-bit systems can't rival its shooters though. It's a B+ console with A+ pricing.

If price doesn't matter, go crazy. Spend $100+ on Rondo of Blood, Gate of Thunder, Air Zonk, Ys, Nexzr, etc. There are sick PCE games, they just tend to be very pricey. There are not many $9 SMB3s or TLOZs on TG16/PCE. I would not buy random cheap games, save your money for the good stuff.

I totally agree with this.  For me, it's my second favourite console because it came out in the NES era with basically a NES-style controller and NES-type games and gameplay.  It's like a "turbo"-charged NES, if you will.  It's strong on shooters but weaker than the NES on everything else.  For gaming I love it, for collecting, I can't really say because I got the US set completed (minus Magical Chase, Aaarrgh!) years ago when prices were cheap.  So worth playing: yes.  Worth collecting: no.  Get an everdrive or whatever the TG equivelant is and just enjoy the games.

• Like 1

HuCard only is not a bad idea, and storing them I find can be a really easy job if you don't mind buying just those basic 100ct sports cards clear plastic holder as they fit the games magnificently.  I've got a few loose ones and they all sit in there very well and easy to get to. 🙂

Face it though, the PCE is the way to go if you want affordability in playing the TG16 library and then far more that we got hosed out of.  It amazes me just how dumb NECs US branch was when bringing the thing out.  Making it a huge ugly space wasting beast with no A/V capability (rf only) and then bringing over almost a 1/3 of the card library and in a lot of the cases not the best stuff too which was mystifying.  I swear had they actually tried as hard as they did in Japan I think we would have had a pretty different map of the industry in the 90s.  The PCE really did spank the crap out of Sega and kept Nintendo at bay pretty nicely sharing the market because the system despite being an 8/16bit hybrid looked and sounded nicer than the Genesis/MD and it has a notably better game library (Japan) too.  I just can't hardly suggest deeply enough if someone really did care to just buy the Core Grafx 1 or 2, and an everdrive.  Explore a bit, then buy what you like most, then if you burn out or want more, then look into optical, or by then there will be some HDMI level optical simulator that isn't shoddily built.

On 11/5/2019 at 10:54 AM, DefaultGen said:

I agree but pour one out for our fallen brethren of 2019, PCEFX was also shut down early this year before NintendoAge.

I always think of this guy when I think of the Turbo community. A guy standing in front of a shelf full of games complaining about other people want to collect the same thing as him but aren't "true fans". And people that buy games to put them on a shelf, literally what he does, is unacceptable, lol.

LOL, virtually everything about that video had me cracking up.  

• Like 1

I'm probably not the best person to ask since it's my favorite system and I'm an unapologetic honk for the platform.  I'll try to keep my thoughts objective though.....

It's an AMAZING system to play and collect for!  As @Dr. Morbis said it's basically a souped up NES.  I honestly don't understand why people would enjoy the NES but not the turbografx if we're talking about gameplay.  But just because it wasn't as successful as the NES (here 😉) doesn't mean it should be ignored.  

The closest comp I can think of is the Sega Saturn.  Flopped here, a ton more games came out in Japan, and you'd be hard pressed to argue it was 'better' than the PlayStation.  But there's no reason you couldn't enjoy playing/collecting it.

I think the library is excellent as far as the ratio of solid titles to duds is concerned.  But imports really are where this console shines.  If you get into the turbo but ignore the pc Engine you'd be doing yourself a disservice.  Most of them are completely playable without any knowledge of Japanese.

There's a ton of excellent ports/sequels/prequels of games you already know on the turbo/pce.  Street Fighter, Solomon's Key, Twin Cobra, Twisted Tales of Spike McFang, Shinobi, Out Run, Ninja Gaiden, Bubble Bobble, Gradius, R-Type, Double Dragon II, Dragon Spirit, Raiden, Image Fight, Wonder Boy, Chiki Chiki Boys, Truxton, Bomberman, Adventure Island, Splatter house, Adventure Island, Pocky and Rocky,....I could honestly keep going.  And all this before even getting to platform exclusives unrelated to other franchises

Grab a jp duo with a recap and region switch and start grabbing things slowly.  Or get an everdrive as others have suggested and start exploring.  You won't regret it.

• Like 1

TurboGrafx is my favorite system and a blast to collect for IMO.  I would highly recommend the CD attachment and the TurboExpress as well.  Cheapest way to enter this would be to get a recapped and region modded PC Engine DUO.  That would cost you around $300 shipped.  Then you could play 99% of the library (remember it has the CD system 3.0 card built in and it allows you to save your game data on the system).  The other few games you couldn't play would be the Arcade Card games and the SuperGrafx games.  Getting an Everdrive would be ideal for the cart games and you can just burn any CD game you wish.

On 11/5/2019 at 9:54 AM, DefaultGen said:

I agree but pour one out for our fallen brethren of 2019, PCEFX was also shut down early this year before NintendoAge.

I always think of this guy when I think of the Turbo community. A guy standing in front of a shelf full of games complaining about other people want to collect the same thing as him but aren't "true fans". And people that buy games to put them on a shelf, literally what he does, is unacceptable, lol.

Haha, oh please dear lord don't think of me when you think of the pcefx community. We have a pretty diverse collection of personalities around. lol- I did actually put together a little write up of the new locations of the pce community forums over at our HuPack blog, if you wanna check it out it's here:
https://hupack.blogspot.com/2019/10/where-have-forums-gone.html

Lol I saw this posted on Discord as well and came here to plug the new website, https://www.pcenginefans.com/

It's basically all the content of the original PCEFX but none of the drama.  Since the original site died it's mainly just a small group of people that still love the PCE and TG16 that frequent it, which is kind of nice but it is much slower than many other forums.  The one caveat is if you registered at the original PCEFX your account is still there, you just need to contact and admin to get your email reattached and account usable, but a minor hurdle.

I love the system. Loved it so much I got a complete set, and am only 6 games or so from a complete TGCD-16 set. Then there is my PCE games........

I agree with Tanooki on this. Get a DUO-RX and and Everdrive. To me its not worth it at the current market prices. To me its a cross of a SNES and NES. I also love the controller with those built in turbo switches.... So awesome!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MasonSushi said:

I agree with Tanooki on this. Get a DUO-RX and and Everdrive. To me its not worth it at the current market prices. To me its a cross of a SNES and NES. I also love the controller with those built in turbo switches.... So awesome!!

Yeah if you have to get optical all in one the RX is the no brainer, it's the best built of the Duo line and that controller it has is badass.  I've got my stand alone as you can see in another thread on the system where I did a quick picture of what I have that includes the Avenue 6 controller.  It has all 6, turbo, slow motion, toggles for 2, 3, and 6 button mode too and it's just comfy to use.  I think that is a fair statement, it is much like a cross of the SNES and NES, their worse assets when it comes to price, but also as the system is so a bridge between the 8 and 16bit era that the games and their quality output put it in this really happy valley few will be able to afford to experience legitimately anymore which is just sad.  Some will when Konami in spring gets the PCE/CG/TG mini system out.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:41 PM, Deadeye said:

I played some Castlevania Rondo of Blood, Ninja Spirit, and Soldier Blade, which are great.  Now buying them and worth the cost is another topic, which I am interested in people's opinions as well.

Rondo of Blood is worth the cost for sure.  I think it is the best Castlevania ever made.  You can find one complete for $150 without the spine if your patient.

Edited by tbone3969

On 11/4/2019 at 11:45 AM, DefaultGen said:

TG16 is cool but overhyped a bit. Bonk isn't better than Mario, Legendary Axe isn't better than Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden, Neutopia isn't better than Zelda. Good games, but not 'worth' 10x what NES/SNES counterparts are. Other 8-bit systems can't rival its shooters though. It's a B+ console with A+ pricing.

If price doesn't matter, go crazy. Spend $100+ on Rondo of Blood, Gate of Thunder, Air Zonk, Ys, Nexzr, etc. There are sick PCE games, they just tend to be very pricey. There are not many $9 SMB3s or TLOZs on TG16/PCE. I would not buy random cheap games, save your money for the good stuff.

Neutopia is distinctly WORSE than Zelda.

Not even close, IMO, and definitely not worth buying a system for.

4 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Neutopia is distinctly WORSE than Zelda.

Not even close, IMO, and definitely not worth buying a system for.

Even as a huge turbo fan I have to admit Neutopia is completely shameless.  Calling it a 'zelda clone' doesn't even describe how much it's like the original LoZ, I remember being embarrassed by it as a kid.  Although I've never heard anyone suggest you should buy a turbo so you can play it.

Edited by hyrulevyse
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 9:25 AM, tbone3969 said:

Rondo of Blood is worth the cost for sure.  I think it is the best Castlevania ever made.  You can find one complete for $150 without the spine if your patient.

I agree.  Rhondo of Blood is definitely one of the best Castlevania games ever made.  Probably in my top 10 favorite games for any system.

PCE Duo-R as several have stated was how I got into turbo.  Can’t go wrong with this and a region mod.

Always amazes me that Lords of Thunder and Rhondo are both running on what is basically a super up 8-bit console.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonest3 said:

I agree.  Rhondo of Blood is definitely one of the best Castlevania games ever made.  Probably in my top 10 favorite games for any system.

PCE Duo-R as several have stated was how I got into turbo.  Can’t go wrong with this and a region mod.

Always amazes me that Lords of Thunder and Rhondo are both running on what is basically a super up 8-bit console.

We see eye to eye on this.  You think those games push the Turbo's limit check out Street Fighter 2.  When it was released some say it was the best version on any system until Hyper Fighting came to the SNES.  No 8 bit machine could ever run SF2 like the Turbo did and you can get the NEC official 6 button controller for it.

Mmm good call on SF2CE.  I've got that one and no regrets at all.  It gives the SNES one a run for it's money and just shames the Sega version hard, and not just because of the terrible audio job Capcom did for the sega release.  It's amusing seeing the fatness of that HuCard as it nearly uniquely stands out well over it.

And like he said in that last post, the 6 button is a must on it and I grabbed the Avenue 6 about the same time.  It's weird trying to play it on a standard pad having to tap select fast to pop between punches and kicks.  Oddly still playable just response time is hurt a bit if you're switch between.