IGNORED

Signed video games?

jpayne

The sad truth is that autographs tend to bring very little added value to comic books, novels, etc. And even then the value tends to gravitate to those who want it for their collection. So all I can say is that the value is tied to how much a fan will pay. With reasons being that is the only time where something like this is worth more than what you have paid. 😅

• Like 1

That's the thing here.
Value from any signature is derived from a few obvious factors:

1. Person signing is someone really famous (Miyamoto, David Bowie, Elvis, Einstein, the pope)
2. Signature is hard or impossible to get ahold of (person is now dead, or notoriously reclusive)
3. Potential buyers are big enough fans to actually think the signature holds any kind of value
And I guess a less prominent 4: It really helps if the object signed holds some kind of significance (Super Mario Bros. cartridge, Doom floppies, Unknown Pleasures vinyl, Star Wars original movie reel, Uncharted 2)

I'm sure anyone could mail their copy of Uncharted 3 to the Naughty Dog offices, and the people working there would be happy to put their signature on it. It's a nice gesture, and I'm sure they enjoy the recognition. This also puts the value of those signatures as the cost of shipping the game back and forth, at best.

Conclusion: Get your stuff signed if you're a fan and think it's cool to own.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

That's the thing here.
Value from any signature is derived from a few obvious factors:

1. Person signing is someone really famous (Miyamoto, David Bowie, Elvis, Einstein, the pope)
2. Signature is hard or impossible to get ahold of (person is now dead, or notoriously reclusive)
3. Potential buyers are big enough fans to actually think the signature holds any kind of value
And I guess a less prominent 4: It really helps if the object signed holds some kind of significance (Super Mario Bros. cartridge, Doom floppies, Unknown Pleasures vinyl, Star Wars original movie reel, Uncharted 2)

I'm sure anyone could mail their copy of Uncharted 3 to the Naughty Dog offices, and the people working there would be happy to put their signature on it. It's a nice gesture, and I'm sure they enjoy the recognition. This also puts the value of those signatures as the cost of shipping the game back and forth, at best.

Conclusion: Get your stuff signed if you're a fan and think it's cool to own.

Hmm.  If you’ve got an SMB3 signed by the pope I would be curious to see what that goes for.  I suppose it would depend on which pope.  Kind of want a copy of Wolfenstein signed by Ratzinger now.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know what it's worth, I've seen a few modern games with lots of signatures like this. Who on the dev team signed it though? Uncharted 3's credits are 14 minutes long. It's like a Pixar movie. This stuff is novel and cool, but I'd personally take one signature from a name I recognize than 30 from people I don't.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I don't know what it's worth, I've seen a few modern games with lots of signatures like this. Who on the dev team signed it though? Uncharted 3's credits are 14 minutes long. It's like a Pixar movie. This stuff is novel and cool, but I'd personally take one signature from a name I recognize than 30 from people I don't.

^^^That.   Although toss it on ebay around the holidays and somebody shopping for an Uncharted fan may buy it?

But personally I'd rather have something with a few recognizable autos on it.  With the Mortal Kombat stuff I have signed, they put their characters below their signatures so you'd know who they are in the game.

Yep, I'm with @DefaultGen - I'd rather have a single recognizable/notable signature than a group of folks I don't know.  Especially on modern games with massive dev teams.

I've collected signed games for quite a while now, but I don't expect them to be the next Babe Ruth signed baseball of collectibles.  I've been an autograph collector outside of my gaming interest too (baseballs, footballs, scripts, etc), so my video game autograph collecting is just sort of a marriage of interests for me.

Right now my pet project on that front is putting together a collection of each year's Madden signed by that year's respective cover player(s).  I have a good chunk of them knocked out so far.  Frankly, that's been more fun than actually playing Madden has been in about a decade.

• Like 1

I think it'll be a thing for recognized creators. Your Kojimas and Miyamotos. Even for well known indie devs, like Toby Fox. But it'll take a little time.

There is another grim thing it'll take: major known developers snuffing it. It's sad but undeniably true that autographs get more valuable as soon as the person passes away (or otherwise stops signing stuff). Compare the prices of signed Terry Pratchett books now vs. before he passed, for instance.

At some sad point Miyamoto will no longer be with us, and people being people, I rather suspect at that point a game signed by him will suddenly start to look like a much bigger deal.

29 minutes ago, AdamW said:

I think it'll be a thing for recognized creators. Your Kojimas and Miyamotos. Even for well known indie devs, like Toby Fox. But it'll take a little time.

There is another grim thing it'll take: major known developers snuffing it. It's sad but undeniably true that autographs get more valuable as soon as the person passes away (or otherwise stops signing stuff). Compare the prices of signed Terry Pratchett books now vs. before he passed, for instance.

At some sad point Miyamoto will no longer be with us, and people being people, I rather suspect at that point a game signed by him will suddenly start to look like a much bigger deal.

I thought I heard at some point that he’s also pretty stingy about giving out his autograph

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I thought I heard at some point that he’s also pretty stingy about giving out his autograph

Miyamoto definitely is stingy with autographs.  His is a tough one for sure - a lot of the Miyamoto autographs out there are fakes.  I wouldn't buy a Miyamoro without reasonable provenance.

6 hours ago, VGCollectaholic said:

Miyamoto definitely is stingy with autographs.  His is a tough one for sure - a lot of the Miyamoto autographs out there are fakes.  I wouldn't buy a Miyamoro without reasonable provenance.

Yeah, I'm glad I was able to shake the man's hand myself while getting it signed! No way I would ever consider selling it tho, this is just for me! 🤩

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Isn't it easy to fake a signature? Especially since people may write differently with time, or with a different pen, or add a drawing, or people like me where every signature looks like someone trying to copy the previous one...

I've always had a hard time, I mean unless you have a video of the signing where we can see the guy and the cart/cover.

I guess this is also one of the many reasons why very few people are even interested in a signed game, and even fewer would pay more.

The only signed game I have is a copy of GT Concept Tokyo-Geneva since I know it's one of those copies he signed when he came to Hong Kong for the Asian release of the game, and I really love that game, it's one of the very few PS2 games I played when it was still fresh.

49 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Remember when atwood was signing games? Lol

Yeah, that was weird.

So was the guy who showed up on NA with Masayuki Uemura's signature on a couple of things that were at best tangentially related. One was an NES mini. I mean, yeah, Uemura designed the original NES, but he'd retired from Nintendo a decade before the mini was a thing. The other was a random game, Adventure Island, I think. And the dude wanted like a thousand dollars for them, at a time when minis were at most going for $300 sealed.

• Like 1