IGNORED

Mega Man X3

I just got my filthy mitts on a decent looking Mega Man X3 cart. Probably the best looking one I ever saw, but it still shows a light touch of wear where the label folds to the top of the cart.

It looks pretty good, but most times you see this:

Mega-Man-X3-SNES-Cartridge-only-2-2.jpg

Any reason as to why this specific game has a fragile label?

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
  • Like 2

From what I’ve seen there are two types of non-glossy labels. The paper ones and the plastic ones with ink that rubs off. Megaman X3 is the latter.

I think a few other late releases use this kind of label, if I’m not mistakes, some notables are Final Fight 3, Metal Warriors, Space Megaforce

• Like 2

My idea was that since so many Megaman X3s have messed up labels, and since collectors hate 1:1 replacement labels, we should make replacement cartridges larger so they’re obviously replacements. Then you could have a larger sized high quality label too. Neat in its own way, without pissing off collectors:

71E32931-0ED8-4A03-A6A8-91D0BBB181FE.jpeg.cfd75339ad403f49b751e0cb239600a6.jpeg

Credit due to Buyatari for the X3 complete artwork 

Edited by phart010
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, phart010 said:

My idea was that since so many Megaman X3s have messed up labels, and since collectors hate 1:1 replacement labels, we should make replacement cartridges larger so they’re obviously replacements. Then you could have a larger sized high quality label too. Neat in its own way, without pissing off collectors:

71E32931-0ED8-4A03-A6A8-91D0BBB181FE.jpeg.cfd75339ad403f49b751e0cb239600a6.jpeg

Credit due to Buyatari for the X3 complete artwork 

yeah but then your snes cart gets upgraded in to a neogeo cart.  it will still piss off collectors either way lol

• Like 1

I think replacement labels should just be labeled as such.  Just put it in fine print along the side or something.  I also like the idea of using custom artwork for replacement labels, but should still be labeled as "replacement label" in some way.  Other than that, let collectors get pissed off.

Replacement shells should also be easily identifiable as replacements. 

• Like 1

^Hah yeah.  And really if you're pissing collectors off, you're probably doing something right anyway.  Any collector who gets in some other buyers way with their my way or the highway attitude have it coming. 😄

It's a shame NOA went so cheap on labels for a good 10 year stretch.  You can kind of note the point when stuff went south, it wasn't long after Earthbound came out.  The Super Gameboy carts on GB were like the first point of incorrect cost cutting that caused sticker problems.  You can pretty much just figure whenever DK 94 and EB came out, that spread of time in that year is about where you need to be careful handling and more so cleaning games, as the usual good stuff like alcohol will on contact ruin them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CMR said:

I think replacement labels should just be labeled as such.  Just put it in fine print along the side or something.  I also like the idea of using custom artwork for replacement labels, but should still be labeled as "replacement label" in some way.  Other than that, let collectors get pissed off.

Replacement shells should also be easily identifiable as replacements. 

Back when I first got into collecting and  replaced a few crappy labels I made some custom ones. This copy of FF had the Japanese board with Poison in the game. 

IMG_20210611_210208631.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Not a fan of made up stickers, but that art is very nice.  I don't get Capcom, didn't in 1991, let alone when those wankers again in 2001 yet again put the stickboys in there and left out all the violent stuff on GBA too...dicks.  I went and paid $10 more to import the JP version that year.  Don't bother if you're not going to do it right. 🙂  I do like that idea of getting around it some, Japanese board, US shell.