Jump to content
IGNORED

Certified Link Video Games Auction


Recommended Posts

MemberPosted
8 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Man, pandemic avalanche in full effect. 11 pages! Isn't that gonna finish up around the same time as HA's signature auction too?

No, you are mistaken. Old video games are VERY rare, INCREDIBLY scarce! In ten to twenty years you would gut your own MOTHER to pay聽30,000 dollars for a 4.5 WATA graded CIB Little Samson!聽

Every video game ever made is worth tens of thousands of dollars. FACT. 馃槈

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MemberPosted

Man, half that auction is a bunch of stuff still on the shelves at bloody GameStop! All those Switch, PS4, 3DS games? Just a glut of terribly uninteresting games, at least from the point of view of a genuine retro game collector and enthusiast... It's million seller after million seller! Not to mention, TONS of聽DS games, PS3, WiiU stuff... A lot of real easy stuff to find still sealed, if you want it as well. Unimpressive.

Even the older gen stuff, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, GBA, N64, GameCube... When you put it all up there all at once, all there just sitting there like that all together, hundreds of sealed games with high grades, nothing really stands out you know, all those games are so familiar already sitting on my shelf, other collectors shelves, sealed or otherwise, it's just kinda... YAWN... The more you see, lined up side by side, the聽less each one means, you know?

The NES showing is particularly poor here IMO as well. CIB 4.5 Samson, a LOOSE Zelda? What the shit? CIB Punchout, not even the first print... Bunch of third party nothing and late-release Nintendo games... I mean I LOVE Dr. Mario, but it's not hard to find.聽Sealed Stack Up is probably the most interesting thing there. Game Boy players choice games... TWO copies of Donkey Kong Land 3? Eh...

It's amazing how unexciting seeing such a huge range of the best games ever made, in sealed condition, can be. I find it amazing I really do, how they can take something I love so dearly, and obsess over daily, and turn me so completely OFF!聽Then again, I suppose this really isn't a market for games enthusiasts really now is it... We're not looking at GAMES here are we, we're looking at grades and dollar signs... Maybe I'm the one looking at it the wrong way?

Big Brother Shrug GIF by Big Brother After Dark

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MemberPosted
6 hours ago, OptOut said:

Man, half that auction is a bunch of stuff still on the shelves at bloody GameStop! All those Switch, PS4, 3DS games? Just a glut of terribly uninteresting games, at least from the point of view of a genuine retro game collector and enthusiast... It's million seller after million seller! Not to mention, TONS of聽DS games, PS3, WiiU stuff... A lot of real easy stuff to find still sealed, if you want it as well. Unimpressive.

Even the older gen stuff, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, GBA, N64, GameCube... When you put it all up there all at once, all there just sitting there like that all together, hundreds of sealed games with high grades, nothing really stands out you know, all those games are so familiar already sitting on my shelf, other collectors shelves, sealed or otherwise, it's just kinda... YAWN... The more you see, lined up side by side, the聽less each one means, you know?

The NES showing is particularly poor here IMO as well. CIB 4.5 Samson, a LOOSE Zelda? What the shit? CIB Punchout, not even the first print... Bunch of third party nothing and late-release Nintendo games... I mean I LOVE Dr. Mario, but it's not hard to find.聽Sealed Stack Up is probably the most interesting thing there. Game Boy players choice games... TWO copies of Donkey Kong Land 3? Eh...

It's amazing how unexciting seeing such a huge range of the best games ever made, in sealed condition, can be. I find it amazing I really do, how they can take something I love so dearly, and obsess over daily, and turn me so completely OFF!聽Then again, I suppose this really isn't a market for games enthusiasts really now is it... We're not looking at GAMES here are we, we're looking at grades and dollar signs... Maybe I'm the one looking at it the wrong way?

Big Brother Shrug GIF by Big Brother After Dark

Yea a Megaman X, the Japanese Mega drive games , the sealed consoles聽聽a Silent Hill 90+ you see that everyday聽

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MemberPosted

The Japanese mega drive games listed there opened a new world for me. I didn't knew they existed. I don't like famicon or super famicon becuase of the design but the Japanese mega drive is another story. Now i am buying some CIB titles at Ebay they are not expensive and most of them are in excellent condition.聽

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MemberPosted
Just now, Mijael said:

The Japanese mega drive games listed there opened a new world for me. I didn't knew they existed. I don't like famicon or super famicon becuase of the design but the Japanese mega drive is another story. Now i am buying some CIB titles at Ebay they are not expensive and most of them are in excellent condition.聽

Oh well in that case you and I have something in common!

IMG20210611224046.thumb.jpg.d4f4649a6fee79e0bc66c9e869f43c60.jpg

I got a bunch of Japanese Mega Drive stuff, I love it! 馃槃

  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MemberPosted
5 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Wasnt Gocollect connected to certified link somehow?聽

Unsure on that, although Certified Link was one of the banner ad sponsors plastered all over NA before the end...

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there were a few hands in each others pockets over there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MemberPosted

Japanese Mega Drive games don't come sealed, the ones graded by VGA are not sealed, yet they are not called "qualified". What gives? How do they determine that a JP MD game hasn't been opened? Also just look at that Fantasia inlay edgewear, how is that a 85+?:

RAD421892021525_105113.jpg

If the answer is it comes from a shipping box and it combines the external and internal elements into the score聽then who cares if it's technically new when it's worse than a mint CIB on the only parts that you can visually see inside a grading case.

EDIT:

from VGA's site:

"Do you grade packaged video games that are not sealed?
If your item came sealed originally, then it must be sealed to be graded. The only exception to this rule applies to certain systems and accessories which never came with tape sealing the box shut. In instances where no tape was ever present, VGA will inspect the contents and will issue a grade only if the contents appear to be complete, original, and new."

On Certified Link the games are called NS as in No Seal.

For Fantasia it would mean that the 85+ counts the inner contents as new but the inlay is not even nearly mint, so it's confusing. By their rules "qualified" wouldn't apply, since originally there was no seal.

Edited by sp1nz
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MemberPosted
7 hours ago, sp1nz said:

Japanese Mega Drive games don't come sealed, the ones graded by VGA are not sealed, yet they are not called "qualified". What gives? How do they determine that a JP MD game hasn't been opened? Also just look at that Fantasia inlay edgewear, how is that a 85+?:

RAD421892021525_105113.jpg

If the answer is it comes from a shipping box and it combines the external and internal elements into the score聽then who cares if it's technically new when it's worse than a mint CIB on the only parts that you can visually see inside a grading case.

EDIT:

from VGA's site:

"Do you grade packaged video games that are not sealed?
If your item came sealed originally, then it must be sealed to be graded. The only exception to this rule applies to certain systems and accessories which never came with tape sealing the box shut. In instances where no tape was ever present, VGA will inspect the contents and will issue a grade only if the contents appear to be complete, original, and new."

On Certified Link the games are called NS as in No Seal.

For Fantasia it would mean that the 85+ counts the inner contents as new but the inlay is not even nearly mint, so it's confusing. By their rules "qualified" wouldn't apply, since originally there was no seal.

Plus, Fantasia SUCKS! There are some AWESOME Mickey Mouse games on Gen/MD and that is NOT one of them, lol!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MemberPosted
On 6/12/2021 at 3:32 AM, sp1nz said:

Japanese Mega Drive games don't come sealed, the ones graded by VGA are not sealed, yet they are not called "qualified". What gives? How do they determine that a JP MD game hasn't been opened? Also just look at that Fantasia inlay edgewear, how is that a 85+?:

RAD421892021525_105113.jpg

If the answer is it comes from a shipping box and it combines the external and internal elements into the score聽then who cares if it's technically new when it's worse than a mint CIB on the only parts that you can visually see inside a grading case.

EDIT:

from VGA's site:

"Do you grade packaged video games that are not sealed?
If your item came sealed originally, then it must be sealed to be graded. The only exception to this rule applies to certain systems and accessories which never came with tape sealing the box shut. In instances where no tape was ever present, VGA will inspect the contents and will issue a grade only if the contents appear to be complete, original, and new."

On Certified Link the games are called NS as in No Seal.

For Fantasia it would mean that the 85+ counts the inner contents as new but the inlay is not even nearly mint, so it's confusing. By their rules "qualified" wouldn't apply, since originally there was no seal.

I鈥檓 not into Japanese games collecting but I can help explain a few things:

- if it was never originally factory sealed, for it to be a standard grade, it would likely need聽to be sent in a factory sealed box聽(often several games in one box). Otherwise, if no evidence of being unopened, then it should grade 鈥淨ualified鈥 if inside contents look unused.

- Regarding the edgewear, VGA grades the surfaces differently and in line with 鈥渄isplay appeal鈥. So the front surface is graded more harshly than the back surface. If say the edgewear was at the front, I鈥檇 imagine it might get a VGA85 instead from past experiences.聽

- VGA-graded collecting聽is about collecting for brand new/unused game. 鈥淢intness鈥 is a secondary part of the equation and not an absolute must (much like CIB/WATA collecting - mintness is not an absolute must).聽

- @OptOut, yes I agree Fantasia sucks. You must remember though this is purely a collectible once graded.聽It鈥檚 not meant to be purchased to then play..聽馃お

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Create New...