IGNORED

Are Star Wars games any good?

phart010

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I've tried the PS1 version, it sucks.

I have the PC version originally when it popped up on GoG some years ago, it works perfect.  THen about a year ago I came across a complete in box copy, it works perfect too using standard settings (which I run through the D-Fend Reloaded GUI.)  So there's no issue running the game correctly as intended.

I thought the PS1 version was pretty good for a port. It does have slow down issues...

• Like 2

It's crazy how few people mention Jedi Knight (the sequel to Dark Forces, and first of its own series, but ignore the sequels) and its full retail expansion, Mysteries of the Sith.

It's IMO still one of the best FPS games ever made. You don't have to be a Star Wars fan to appreciate it, but the campy FMV cutscenes are good fun for everyone. 😄

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've tried the PS1 version, it sucks.

I have the PC version originally when it popped up on GoG some years ago, it works perfect.  THen about a year ago I came across a complete in box copy, it works perfect too using standard settings (which I run through the D-Fend Reloaded GUI.)  So there's no issue running the game correctly as intended.

For playing Dark Forces on modern PCs, I think the DarkXL source port might be the best way to go. It can be found here:

https://darkxl.wordpress.com/

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

For playing Dark Forces on modern PCs, I think the DarkXL source port might be the best way to go. It can be found here:

https://darkxl.wordpress.com/

It's dead, been for years as I just tracked back your link.  Downloads are toast.  But the maker, he's back and working on The Force Engine.  Claimed it would be out early-mid this year, so it's hopefully due soon.  Seems it should be a far superior package so I'm bookmarking it hoping ti shows up.  It'll give me good reason to pull my DF box off the shelf and play it again.  https://theforceengine.github.io/

• Like 1

Revenge of the Sith on GBA is remarkably very very well done for a knights of the round-ish style side scrolling combat brawler, plus has multiple paths and stages for either Obiwan or Anakin too.  Has this big skill tree to unlock as well to increase unique powers both have.

• Like 2

My answer to the question would be shit yes. Im a casual star wars fan as far as movies go. Love the games. Both NES games are awesome if you take the time to learn them. Some of the first ones I went after CIB and go back and play through quite a bit. 

Super star wars series were 3 of my favorite rentals for years. Nothing complex to learn. Tough on default setting, but easy modes are fun and human for the most part. NES games take some dedication, but I dont know how everyone doesnt love these and consider them classic. 

N64 episode 1 racer is an incredible racer. 

@RH, I didnt play a lot of computer games at any point in life, but I was crazy for rebel assault 2. That game was incredible. Havent played it in years, but Im sure it would hold up. Have you played it recently? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

@RH, I didnt play a lot of computer games at any point in life, but I was crazy for rebel assault 2. That game was incredible. Havent played it in years, but Im sure it would hold up. Have you played it recently? 

No but my Dad bought for me for Christmas the same year he bought me a PS1. It was the game he picked to go with the system.

I loved it and I still might but I recall it was a quick play and after a couple playthroughs, it kind of lost it's replay value.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of good ones! I think everyone else has covered them but my favorite by far is Kotor because I got it maybe the second week it was released and had low expectations. I was talked into it after much praise by the Xbox nerds at the time and was fully blown away by the story and depth of universe without feeling like fan fiction. 

If you like RPGs/adventure games as well as star wars you owe it to yerself to play knights of the old republic 1.

spacer.png

• Like 2