Open Club  ·  41 members

Arcade Club
IGNORED

Junk Neo Geo MVS systems lot, let's see how many I can get to work

Abelardo

Today I unpacked a lot of junk MVS systems that I bought for scrap price, in total I believe it's 18 systems, 3 MVS games, an unknown bootleg game & a NES connector somehow got thrown in, along with a wrench, everything is super dirty:

Spoiler

ACtC-3fvyXTCjthZkHugiepKapPWmRyMNGgIumv13N-MDUQgoGq2QIAZl6SiVZzMRAXuuD15OGH5OTNGw13Nu-ry2ftzLc-AUJJMQOpgRZaPvYqB16L2LB-LdICXG0AmtIJHQsdCTL0IBxlQJ_D5lHZpfkXH=w1258-h943-no?authuser=0

I'll try to clean them up the following days and report any progress as I go through them, for now I might hook the bootleg game as it isn't that dirty on the first place just to satisfy my curiosity. Wish me luck!

Edited by Abelardo
Fixed picture
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Couldn't clean any yesterday so today I began with these MV-1A/1ACHX/1FZS that seemed the dirtiest of them all:
QtDN0Z1.jpg

Removed batteries from boards to get them ready:

Zu9ljF2.jpg

Power washer:

3V47i6d.jpg

Here they are cleaned up and getting dry under the sun (it's scorching outside), they already look pretty good to me, a few have some corrosion but doesn't look that bad, I didn't separate the boards from the cartridge slot but I'll do before re-assembly to make sure everything is dry and looks good, also I have to clean the JAMMA connectors:

I0DLA2d.jpg

That's it for now, I'll test them tonight and report back how it went.

EDIT: Decided to separate the boards from the cartridge slot, should've done it before cleaning but no worries, I'll manually clean these connectors:
cmfeazA.jpg

Edited by Abelardo
Added picture
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

So boards pretty much got cooked under the sun so they're ready to be tested.

Board 1, MV-1ACHX - This one has heavy corrosion and some traces seem gone already, don't expect to get anything out of it.

2674KB2.jpg

Result: Green screen

Board 2, MV-1FZS - Looks decent, might get lucky with this one

Ht2Nqhr.jpg
Result: No audio but works

Board 3, MV-1A - Very light corrosion in some spots 

t55LhZL.jpg
Result: Wouldn't boot, click of death or solid color

Board 4, MV-1FZ - Some ICs legs don't look good

O2GhpC2.jpg
Result: Weird audio issue, as if it were too high, but it works.

Board 5, MV-1A - Some corrosion spots in the board, there's a weird bloated spot in the BIOS chip

zq34E5N.jpg
Result: Click of death, even after swapping the BIOS chip, seems that the corrosion did get some traces.

Overall a little underwhelming, only a couple of them are working with audio issues, these were the ugliest ones of the lot so not surprised with the result. Next I'll do the MV-1C's, those tend to do well so let's see how it goes.

Edited by Abelardo

Next up are the MV1C's, the lot had 4 of them but I added a 5th one that was sold to me recently as non-working, so here they are:
kp5tw6i.jpg

Boards ready to be cleaned:
IM7CnbB.jpg

Boards cleaned up really good:
nT0fs91.jpg

I'll probably test them later tonight if I'm sure they've fully dried, these are looking good so I'm hopeful!

MV-1Cs are ready to be tested.

Board 1 - Looks good, it had a blown fuse so I replaced it
CypZMWd.jpgResult: No image, CPU did get a bit hot, found a cap that is shorted near the CPU so most likely shorted CPU

Board 2 - Looks good
eVhbpcZ.jpgResult: Fully working

Board 3 - Looks alright, a little bit of corrosion near the NEO-YSA2
VawM30u.jpgResult: It booted, wouldn't take carts or display sprites with garbage, so I gave the cart slot a good clean and finally it worked correctly, another fully working system

Board 4 - Looks good apart from some small amount of corrosion in the underside of the cart slot
DW3bGgA.jpgResult: Fully working

Board 5 - A little corrosion near the NEO-YSA2, blown fuse so I replaced it.
75QPgTf.jpgResult: Fully working

These were much better, tomorrow I'll try to clean at least the MV-1B's but I'll try to get them all.

Edited by Abelardo

Sorry for not updating earlier, I did went though all of them last Thursday and Friday, I'm going to go quicker this time with less pictures overall.

These were the five MV-1B's in the lot:
0IEZb5q.jpg

Forgot to take picture of the boards before cleaning but they were extremely dirty, here they are after a good clean up with the power washer:
EdoamDy.jpg

(cont.)
The MV-1B's cleaned up really well, first system spots a small repair and resoldered IC (labeled MASK1), some systems present small corrosion spots, nothing too bad.

Testing goes as follows (from left to right, top to bottom):
-Fully working
-Fully working
-Black screen
-Black Screen
-Working, some buttons don't work but JAMMA connector is really dirty, I expect it to be fully working after cleaning the connector

3 out of 5, not bad so far!

Finally the big systems, one MV-1T, two MV-1FS, and one MV-1F, honestly these don't look good but we got to clean them up and see if we get anything out of them.

nyxvbHQ.jpg

This is how the boards look after removing the batteries, pretty disgusting:
ykUqhyd.jpg

Boards cleaned up, much better:
bFcXHx4.jpg
There's some moderate amount of corrosion on these, some IC legs look a bit corroded, 3rd system I can see it's missing a capacitor near the center (labelled 10 µF), the 4th one spots a repair.

Testing goes as follows:
-Stuck in green screen
-Fully working
-Stuck in click of death
-Fully working

Overall not bad! 2 out of 4 worked, I'll reassemble them and try to fix obvious problems like the missing capacitor and see how it goes.