IGNORED

It's November 1st

DefaultGen

8 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

Isn't Thanksgiving next for you guys?

It is, but it's an in-joke among us Yanks that we start celebrating Christmas way too early.

Thanksgiving is basically a couple of days of making a ton of food and listening to relatives rant about politics. It's over pretty quick.

Edited by Tulpa

8 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

That's the joke.

Commercially, stores practically take down Halloween decorations on the night of the 31st and instantly shift gears hard to Christmas.

If Halloween wasn't on the calendar, I'm pretty sure Christmas shopping season would have already rolled forward to labor day 😛

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

The edges of Christmas start leaking into the back aisles of Walmart and home improvement stores by late September. By early November you'll start hearing Mariah Carey at the mall, as if anyone goes to the mall. Thanksgiving is just a speed bump on the way to Christmastown.

13 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

It is, but it's an in-joke among us Yanks that we start celebrating Christmas way too early.

Thanksgiving is basically a couple of days of making a ton of food and listening to relatives rant about politics. It's over pretty quick.

Remember when you didn't really see any Christmas stuff or hear the first Christmas carol/music until the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday)?  I really miss those days.  I don't have anything against Christmas or the season, but I imagine all the early celebrators would totally lose their minds if I started hanging up Halloween decorations and running around in costumes starting in June/July.  Let every holiday have its own space, quit trying to overrun everything and trying to shove Christmas down everyone's throats before it's time.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
2 minutes ago, jonebone said:

I enjoy a long Christmas season.  It's hard to buy for certain people anyway, I need the extra weeks of keeping an eye out to try and find something decent.

But hold off on the Xmas music until post Thanksgiving please. 

Early Christmas music is one thing, people that put their Christmas trees up now are psychopaths. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Early Christmas music is one thing, people that put their Christmas trees up now are psychopaths. 

I always found it laughable that the same folks who are trying to put up their Christmas trees before Halloween also had some big opinions on my mother's family traditions of putting up the Christmas tree as a family on Christmas Eve then leaving it up until New Year's, taking it down on the 1st.  Not sure where the tradition came from, but most folks I knew put their trees up a bit earlier (a week or two before Christmas, maybe when kids got out for Christmas break?) but took them down immediately after Christmas.

• Like 1

By tradition, you're supposed to put the tree up on Christmas Eve, and leave it up until Epiphany (January 6th.) And there's a shitload of other traditions associated with it.

But that fell by the wayside and it now feels like everyone's going through the motions and doing what's convenient.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, doner24 said:

My parents had enough space that the Christmas tree just stays up all year, since it was a pre-lit tree and my dad didn't want the wires to degrade in the heat of the attic.

They at least took the decorations down, though 😛

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I always found it laughable that the same folks who are trying to put up their Christmas trees before Halloween also had some big opinions on my mother's family traditions of putting up the Christmas tree as a family on Christmas Eve then leaving it up until New Year's, taking it down on the 1st.  Not sure where the tradition came from, but most folks I knew put their trees up a bit earlier (a week or two before Christmas, maybe when kids got out for Christmas break?) but took them down immediately after Christmas.

Yeah, our usual is EARLIEST it gets set up is the weekend after Thanksgiving, just to have an extra family activity.

But teardown is definitely over the New Year's holiday, since that also allows for post-Christmas giftgiving that is still adequately festive later in the week 😛

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

By tradition, you're supposed to put the tree up on Christmas Eve, and leave it up until Epiphany (January 6th.) And there's a shitload of other traditions associated with it.

But that fell by the wayside and it now feels like everyone's going through the motions and doing what's convenient.

That’s what my parents do. And I would, if I had a family of my own. My mom is ethnically Jewish and I was raised Unitarian. But we still did it right, damn it! 😄😄😄

Bring in the tree Christmas Eve. Decorate it after dinner (Chinese takeout). Keep it up for 12 days.

17 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Yeah, our usual is EARLIEST it gets set up is the weekend after Thanksgiving, just to have an extra family activity.

But teardown is definitely over the New Year's holiday, since that also allows for post-Christmas giftgiving that is still adequately festive later in the week 😛

That's what we used to do when I was a kid. Seeing the tree every morning when I got up for school for almost a month always got me even more excited for Christmas and what possible Nintendo related items might be under it Christmas morning!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

That's the joke.

Commercially, stores practically take down Halloween decorations on the night of the 31st and instantly shift gears hard to Christmas.

If Halloween wasn't on the calendar, I'm pretty sure Christmas shopping season would have already rolled forward to labor day 😛

I walked into a local Lowes mid October and they had a Christmas display assaulting the eyeballs right when you walked in. Made me grumpy.

I have a hard rule in my household. No Christmas decorations/music until Black Friday. After that, the frothy-mouthed holiday season shenanigans can take hold, but not one minute before.

"That's it, I'm canceling Christmas!" - favorite Christmas time threat.

• Like 1