IGNORED

Silverspoon Fridays #1: Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario 64?

SilverspoonGaming

Silverspoon Fridays #1  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which game would you choose?

• Super Mario Bros 3 - NES
    • Super Mario 64 - N64

On 6/2/2021 at 9:00 AM, spacepup said:

But the shade at Mario 64 surprises me a bit - I think it's a fantastic game and super super fun.

If anyone likes Mario 64, that's cool. Like what you like. This is a forum/discussion to present and share different points of view.

That said, I can only speak for myself when it comes to Mario 64 "shade".

Playing the game never made me feel like I was playing a Mario game. Maybe I'm a traditionalist. Maybe its because we only had a single true Mario game on the SNES before the move to 3D. But running around butt-stomping enemies just didn't vibe with me.

I also didn't like Sonic Adventure that much, but I did enjoy Crash Bandicoot/Spyro/Ty the Tasmanian Tiger though. Maybe it's a 2D to 3D transition thing.

Administrator · Posted

I remember my brothers and I used to call it the Butt-Pound.  Didn't think anything of it at the time!

@Robot_Ninjutsu That's cool - I get it.  It's certainly not for everyone.  I know plenty of people who don't really care for Mario 64 / the 3d Mario games much, and that's fine.

I'll never forget playing it for the first time, and just being blown away at the experience -- there's definitely a sort of nostalgia factor and/or experiencing it as 3d platforming was still new, that plays into my love for the game.  But I did recently pick up the compilation on switch, and have been having a great time with it even now!  It's even better being able to play on switch with the pro controller --- I'm definitely not a fan of the n64 controller.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 8:00 AM, spacepup said:

Are people capable of picking their favorite and sharing why without throwing shade at others for their choices?  Jeebz. (Yes, I realize some/most is playful, but still! ha)

I chose Mario 64.  I love both games, a lot.  I can't fault anyone for choosing either, as they both excel in different ways and there are solid reasons for liking either.

I LOVE SMB3, don't get me wrong - but I've also played it to death over the years and been through every nook and cranny.  I don't think I can say the same for Mario 64.  I've played it a lot, but I can't say I've fully conquered the game yet.  There is a LOT of content in 64. 

Also, SMB3 is more about going from left to right and moving through the level.  Mario 64 has a ton more opportunities for fun, random exploration.  And that's what I love.  Sometimes, I'll just run around the game trying to master the triple jump and get up to areas I didn't think possible, or just goof around.  I like doing that - it's fun every now and then just to ditch the goal and just have fun roaming around being goofy.  Many more opportunities for that in Mario 64.

I also really like some of the little, I"ll call "side games" like racing the penguin down the slope, which is actually pretty challenging.

If you chose SMB3, great.  It's an awesome game and I can't fault that.  But the shade at Mario 64 surprises me a bit - I think it's a fantastic game and super super fun.

SHUT UP UR WRONG!!!!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

That's how I read it when this popped up awhile back.  SMB3 all day for a Mario game on the whole, but if I want something to keep engaged with for a weekend, SM64 no questions.

SMB3 will burn a couple hours or so, no warps, just jamming through all the stages.  There's little hidden in the game to find of value, just little nuggets that don't deviate so really when it's done, it's DONE.

Mario 64 though, all those stars, about 20% of them moderate to f'ing nightmares to get.  While it has far fewer stages, they're not levels, they're mini lands, mini worlds really and as such an experience.  Each has the overlapping goal of the red coin grab and the 100+ coins for a 1up (and a star.)  That removed, each has varying and somewhat at times cryptic things to do to get that star.  You can easily blow 2 days, and far more than 2 days on that one so it's a weekend winner.

Last time I took an honest crack at it, the early vanilla fully working source port to the Win10/64bit OS.  I grabbed that, double archived it on storage, installed it and went to down on that game for hours on my PC and it was (is) still stunning.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

This is an extremely close poll!  Lets get some others to weigh in and see if Mario 64 catches up or falls back.

Excuse me, the market has spoken and this poll is moot. No one on the planet loves Mario 3 a million dollars worth but someone does Mario 64 😍

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1