IGNORED

Silverspoon Fridays #1: Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario 64?

SilverspoonGaming

Silverspoon Fridays #1  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which game would you choose?

• Super Mario Bros 3 - NES
    • Super Mario 64 - N64

2 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Whoa whoa whoa @SilverspoonGaming - you're throwing a wrench in the customary, semi-annual  Super Mario Bros. 3 vs Super Mario World debate where everyone argues the same tired points over and over and over until everyone gets mad and overly-defensive!

-CasualCart

This was a conversation I was going to start later down the road.  I guess if its been beat to death, Ill have to come up with something else.

• Haha 1

i feel like this is a great question, given the timeframe.

overall, i would pick SMB3 in most cases. i feel like it's a better game. but given the specific limitations, i gotta go with SM64. i feel like if it was your only form of entertainment, you'd burn through 3 quickly and be bored. On the other hand, if it was a lifetime stay on an island, SMB3  would be comfortable and an easy escape.

But a weekend stay with only one game? this is what SM64 was made for. 

• Like 2

Well I'm a 2D guy, through and through, and SMB3 is a way better game overall, however, as per the question posed by the op, I would pick SM64 just because it takes me far longer to beat that one and get all 120 stars than the few hours it takes me to beat SMB3 without warping.  So in terms of killing time over a weekend, I've gotta go with SM64...

• Like 2

I love both games, I also have nostalgia for both.

Given the criteria, I'd choose Mario 64. Mario 3 I can completely clear in about 2.5 hours, all stages, so it would be finished before that lonely weekend on the island properly got started.

• Wow! 1

31 minutes ago, OptOut said:

This has turned out to be surprisingly close! Maybe there is hope for this forum of malcontents and misanthropes after all!

Speaking of which, where's @peg? I am DYING to know what he is gonna pick, I can barely handle the suspense! 😛

"Both of these games are crap. I'll stare at sand all weekend if that's all I got"

- Peg... Probably.

Edited by RH
  • Haha 2

@a3quit4s: lol, only good ones. Platformers utterly bore me. There's just nothing interesting in them, all you get is more points. Moving a platformer to 3d helps nothing, why would you adventure around when all you can find is points or new abilities with which to get points? At least in RPGs adventuring around gives you interesting things.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:01 PM, DefaultGen said:

Sad, you have to play SMB3 40 times before you've extracted the fun out of it, meanwhile 5 minutes at Walmart with SM64 is enough to set you for life because it's that good.

Mario was a much better man when he was silent.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:11 PM, Hammerfestus said:

You kept count?

I was 11/12, of course I counted the # of times I beat my favorite game.

• Like 1

Definitely prefer SMB3 over 64. Super Mario 64 is a great game, a masterpiece at the time it was released that was a revolution of 3D design. But to be honest, I've never been a fan of 3D platforming games. I've always had some difficulty judging depth in 3D games, so when it comes to platforming I've never been great at them. I can get by, but I have a preference for 2D platforming games. In addition, the camera controls in 64 just doesn't hold up like it did back in the day. They are serviceable, but don't allow for the amount of control you really need. I also love the variety of power-ups available in SMB 3 compared to just the three you get in 64. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Are people capable of picking their favorite and sharing why without throwing shade at others for their choices?  Jeebz. (Yes, I realize some/most is playful, but still! ha)

I chose Mario 64.  I love both games, a lot.  I can't fault anyone for choosing either, as they both excel in different ways and there are solid reasons for liking either.

I LOVE SMB3, don't get me wrong - but I've also played it to death over the years and been through every nook and cranny.  I don't think I can say the same for Mario 64.  I've played it a lot, but I can't say I've fully conquered the game yet.  There is a LOT of content in 64. 

Also, SMB3 is more about going from left to right and moving through the level.  Mario 64 has a ton more opportunities for fun, random exploration.  And that's what I love.  Sometimes, I'll just run around the game trying to master the triple jump and get up to areas I didn't think possible, or just goof around.  I like doing that - it's fun every now and then just to ditch the goal and just have fun roaming around being goofy.  Many more opportunities for that in Mario 64.

I also really like some of the little, I"ll call "side games" like racing the penguin down the slope, which is actually pretty challenging.

If you chose SMB3, great.  It's an awesome game and I can't fault that.  But the shade at Mario 64 surprises me a bit - I think it's a fantastic game and super super fun.

I’ll let you guys in on a little secret...I’ve never played Super Mario 3 before. 😲

I started with the Master system as console of choice and then jumped into the 16-bit consoles and so forth. Have finished Super Mario World and Mario 64 though, and likely to be my favourite 2 platformers of all time. 

Mario 3 is on my hit list before I get deformed joints due to ageing. So my answer is: Mario 3.

• Wow! 3

SMB3 for me.

While I do have lots of nostalgia for Mario 64, I tried playing through it again this past year (after not having really played anything more than the first two courses since the 90's) and...it has not aged as well as I hoped it would.

SMB3, on the other hand, is pretty close to Nintendo's perfection of the side-scrolling platformer.