IGNORED

Dragon Quest Thread

5 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

And what you just said to me is condescending, friend. Because the person who is willing to ignore the fact that Yuji Horii has given updates about Dragon Quest XII is you. With claims that any non-fan who is immediately claiming to be a fan because the series is a thing now. Stuff that I am strongly trying to avoid getting involved in. 😐

You're the person being condescending here, man. 😞 Acting like you're the only person in the world who's entitled to draw any conclusions.

I have no idea what you're even on about. I never said Horii hasn't given updates about DQXII. All I've said is, that based on how little footage we have right now (which is a fact, no one here has seen anything more than that logo teaser), it's unlikely to expect the game being any close to completion. What exactly is the problem with that statement?

We've been hearing things about XII since a few years ago, and not just from Yuji Horii, but from the people who actually work hands-on as directors on the game (Horii's role is more of a writer/producer but you know that), and I never claimed anything else.

And no, it's not that "the series is a thing now". Sure, we never got any games of the series here until 2004, but that's still given me plenty of time to dive into the games multiple times via imports, fan translations, remakes and so on. I'm sorry, but you don't have a monopoly on digging Dragon Quest, so stop being so patronizing.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

21 hours ago, Sumez said:

You're the person being condescending here, man. 😞 Acting like you're the only person in the world who's entitled to draw any conclusions.

Congrats on not only being a hypocrite, but also defaming me for whatever child-like reason you have. 🤬

If you bother to re-read everything, you will find that I chose not to respond to the things you have said. And why? Because as a fan, I have seen semi-fans and new fans alike have concerns like yours. So I ended up spending my time looking for any information, as opposed to grinding on Dragon Quest Heroes. Or even consider expanding my Dragon Quest collection, be it video game or something else.

Atop of that I did not denounce your worries, but rather addressed them because you are not the only one who might feel the same way. I mean Yuji Horii, the creator of the franchise and still the head of development for the series, has said a lot about the progress of the game. And myself have theories on why they are tight lip when it comes to actual game footage. But instead of respecting that, guess what? You dismissed the actual article I found that also gave you an idea on where development is... And where he hopes to have it end. Because it was nothing you were saying.

Plus you also ignored the fact that I posted the link twice. And also included the same game footage we both talked about. With you removing that before you said, "You're the person who's responding with stuff that's completely unrelated to what I was even talking about. You are not making any sense, my friend." Which had me address the other snub you did to me, which had me use two sources to prove you were wrong. Something you went silent on despite the fact you made an actual effort to make it sound like others reporting on the announcement were wrong.

So you know what? Screw it. I joined Video Game Sage because I really liked Nintendo Age, despite the reality I did not have the money to get the type of games others talked about. I even stayed here because even when my anxiety got bad everybody else, including you prior to this point, gave me a reason to stay. But seeing how your own self-entitled opinion is more important than a fandom we all share... Consider this my temporary resignation on the site as a whole.

Because seriously... I said I was walking away because the others here deserve to have fun talking about Dragon Quest. You took that away from me the moment you made it clear anything you say is more important than the truth. Which is why I might as well considering the idea of quitting this topic and join one that is strictly tied to Dragon Quest. And maybe even quit VGS because god knows when you will do this again to me. Or who else might do it to me.

So that said... @Hammerfestus, @Estil, @Tanooki, and @Gloves... I am sorry for my part on the fact this happened. I'll punish myself by trying to build a database tied to the Japanese portion of the Dragon Quest game franchise. If I need to do more, please PM me. Thanks.

And again, @Sumez, my only suggestion is that you look at the link I have supplied (twice). You will find that I never once gave you, or anybody else here, my opinion. But rather that I gave you, and others an official update. 😅

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I haven't read that huge wall-text argument going on, but I will say I'm a HUGE DQ fan and I'm currently collecting all the Sofubi monsters (47+).  I'm about halfway already and I also have all the heroes from the first six games.  Whenever I get close to completion, I'll post a picture of all those critters together at last...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

There there

TBH, I am by far more annoyed at myself for tossing away a number of rare collectibles I may never get back. Including a photo (of me) that I bought after I did Dragon Quest the Real in 2017. 😅

But even then, rule number 7811 says that I should do a cool-off period so others can have fun. 🍺

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I have no idea what is going on.

Also, Dragon Quest VIII is a sweet game.

From my side of things, I said something that apparently became an issue. Nothing new, but still something that annoys me. Just not as much as what I had been put through in the past (when it came to other things). 😅

Plus, I agree. Which is why I chose to keep my PS2 copy (along with DQ7 and DQ11) in my collection. 👍

Screw it. I quit trying to be part of this topic. And I might as well consider quitting being part of VGS since I seem to be both "condescending" and "not make any sense" when it comes to the one franchise that makes me want to be here. 🤬

So yeah... What was said about me is the final nail in the coffin. And up until I get anything good to post in any other topic, I am done trying to be part of this forum. I am officially both that pissed and offended. 🤬

• Sad 3

Administrator · Posted

Just a friendly reminder here - sometimes people can agree to disagree.  If you feel you cannot mesh well with someone else, we do have a block feature for that purpose.  Hopefully not used often, but sometimes that may help.

Let's move forward here and just continue any constructive discussion.

• Thanks 1

Geez sumez hush up already.  I've been reading all this, and as much as that was a long winded post up there some hours ago, he is right, even if he's getting a bit more upset than maybe necessary I can understand why too.  Just drop it, set ignore, and that's that.  No need to open a wound, throw some salt on it, and then not satisfied enough go ahead and toss a bucket of lemon juice and broken glass on it too.

I sense this thread is more or less dead or will be within hours to days if he has really bailed.  Good job.

22 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I really enjoyed IX for DS, and I haven't tried XI yet, but it looks pretty great and I have received several recommendations from friends to play it.  

I always thought IX looked really good, but XI is also calling to me. Maybe 2022 will be the year of the JRPG which is a category of games I haven't played in ages.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Dragon Quest seems cool, especially the later entries, but I've yet to play it. Anyone have a good suggested starting point? I can find a way to play any version of any of the games.

If you want to go all the way back, I still think the first game is a great place to start. It's short, simple, and available everywhere. If you want to start in the more modern 3D era, than start with VIII or XI.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Dragon Quest seems cool, especially the later entries, but I've yet to play it. Anyone have a good suggested starting point? I can find a way to play any version of any of the games.

I’d either start at 1 or start with 8.  1 is pretty simplistic but I think it’s excellent for what it is. Great atmosphere to it too.  It is one of my top 5 games.

8 is just awesome.  Very well done and the art style was really cool.

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted
46 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'd say VIII or IX are both great starting points.  Haven't played XI yet but that sounds like it might be an even better starting point.

I-VII are very, very old school.  For better or worse.  And I is very streamlined compared to the rest.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spacepup said:

sometimes people can agree to disagree

For sure, I don't see any need for any fuss (I wish I knew what we were even disagreeing about though 😄)
I have no intention to keep any grudges, and hope to see the thread kept civil going forward.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Depends on your approach. The DQ series is more than just a series of individual games, they all support eachother. It's a little hard to explain, but the more DQ games you have played, the more you'll be able to appreciate the next ones you play, there's a sweet sense of familiarity to all the elements and patterns that repeat between them. And there are really no bad games in the series.

DQ8 and DQ11 are by far the most approachable games for people not familiar with the series, so that's a good place to start. But if you're interested in really getting into the series, you can really start anywhere, and starting at the beginning wouldn't be a bad choice if the old games don't seem too archaic to you.

The only pointers I'd make is, maybe wait with DQ7 as that one can be pretty daunting. And 1, 2 and 3 should be played in order for reasons you'll see once you do. 🙂 

Edited by Sumez

3 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I actually think DQ IV on the DS is a great starting point. You get the traditional turn-based, random combat, that is part of the original DQ games but it never feels overbearing. If you've ever played a turn-based RPG you'll pick up everything you need to know. If a CIB copy is beyond your price point, you can purchase a loose copy and dig-in. Of the three DS games that is my favorite.

After that you're welcome to play through DQ V and VI, but honestly, I would then recommend playing DQ VII (3DS game) which is the most epic game in my opinion of the entire series! It just feels and is huge and awesome. After that, I would then say DQ VIII which is simply fun and wonderful.

My personal opinion, DQ IX is a bit underwhelming. It's a good game, and there is a lot to do, but to me, it feels a bit like a mish-mash of all the other DQ games that came before it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, avatar! said:

My personal opinion, DQ IX is a bit underwhelming. It's a good game, and there is a lot to do, but to me, it feels a bit like a mish-mash of all the other DQ games that came before it.

I agree. I played it after coming off DQ Joker, and I loved both DWM on Gameboy, but Joker was not great. It didn't translate well to 3d and I didn't appreciate the "updated" mechanics. And is saw a lot of the same things I didn't like about Joker in IX. I never finished it but I'd like to go back and give it another shot now that some time has passed.

DQ11 is far better than 9.  I couldn't finish nine, it got to a point where it just ran thin and didn't motivate me to care anymore about it.  I tried to go back to it some years later and try again, got much less far into it and it sat for years until I recently finally sold it with the guide.  If you really had to choose, go with 11.