IGNORED

Dragon Quest Thread

8 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

Dragon Quest III is currently the first chapter (...)

They aren't going to do a trilogy release starting with DQ3. They are just doing DQ3 because it's by far the most popular game out of the three (and still the most popular game in the entire series in Japan).

Spoiler

DQ3 being a prequel is, honestly, spoilers. It's definitely meant to be played last out of the three, for all the various twists and references towards the end of the game to have the intended effect.

• Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, Sumez said:

They aren't going to do a trilogy release starting with DQ3. They are just doing DQ3 because it's by far the most popular game out of the three (and still the most popular game in the entire series in Japan).

Reveal hidden contents

DQ3 being a prequel is, honestly, spoilers. It's definitely meant to be played last out of the three, for all the various twists and references towards the end of the game to have the intended effect.

Really?  I would've thought the 5th one was the best.

6 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

I'm more of an Otaku in this regard. 🤔

Minus the cosplay, and instead me doing stuff like this. 😁

That would be so cool if me and my wife could go as the DQ5 guy and Nera/Flora 🙂   Or maybe the DQ11 guy and Serena.  That way we can go as a couple but it wouldn't be something cliché like Mario/Peach or Link/Zelda.

17 hours ago, Sumez said:

Reveal hidden contents

My sources say you are wrong. 😅

LINK: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/dragon_quest_creator_teases_possible_hd-2d_remakes_of_the_first_two_games

And for the record...

Dragon Quest XI's true ending is the original opening sequence to Dragon Quest III. The GBC version shares the SFC's remade opening, which involves Ortega's final battle after his son (canon) or daughter (non-canon) was born.

Meaning that Dragon Quest III's remake might be tied to Dragon Quest XII, which makes it a perfect excuse to remake the first chapter of the original trilogy. 😅

Edited by FenrirZero

16 hours ago, Estil said:

Really?  I would've thought the 5th one was the best.

In regards to its tone and storyline, it is considered to be the best. But if a survey was done, the best may end up being Dragon Quest XI. Just like how Square Enix's 2010 survey found that fans say Dragon Quest IX was the best. 😅

Personally speaking, I have played both the SFC versions of III and V. So I can see why they would say that the latter is better. But overall? I am tossed between VIII (PS2 version) and IX as being the best.

16 hours ago, Estil said:

That would be so cool if me and my wife could go as the DQ5 guy and Nera/Flora 🙂   Or maybe the DQ11 guy and Serena.  That way we can go as a couple but it wouldn't be something cliché like Mario/Peach or Link/Zelda.

Well... They do have the costume for Abel (Dragon Quest V hero; no relation to the 1989-1991 anime series character). But if you want to go canon, have her go as Bianca. And do not forget the sabercat!!! 😁 Or take it a step further by being that nerdy guy who risked his life because he loved Nera that much. The game's canon says they do get married. 🙂

Also, I need to add that Shoko Nakagawa is the voice actress of Alena (Arena) in Dragon Quest Heroes I & II. My last trip to Nakano Broadway had her claw being displayed in Mamitas (MMTS), which is her shop. I'll post an update if I ever return and see if it is still there. 🙂

3 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

Well... They do have the costume for Abel (Dragon Quest V hero; no relation to the 1989-1991 anime series character). But if you want to go canon, have her go as Bianca. And do not forget the sabercat!!! 😁 Or take it a step further by being that nerdy guy who risked his life because he loved Nera that much. The game's canon says they do get married. 🙂

But I like Nera/Flora better...plus I had my wife pick my wife in the SNES version and she too picked Flora (I guess we both thought she was more attractive/feminine).  And her SNES version has just got to be the most adorable looking video game bride ever ^^

And yes me and my wife will be together to love and to cherish, in sickness and in health for as long as we both shall be resurrected from death in the church! 😄  

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Estil said:

But I like Nera/Flora better...plus I had my wife pick my wife in the SNES version and she too picked Flora (I guess we both thought she was more attractive/feminine).  And her SNES version has just got to be the most adorable looking video game bride ever ^^

And yes me and my wife will be together to love and to cherish, in sickness and in health for as long as we both shall be resurrected from death in the church! 😄  

Then can the canon while going meta, my man! 👍 But always remember that Dragon Quest: Your Story did it first. 🤓 ...Which has helped renew my interest in that film.

Either way, go that route if it makes you both happy. Just don't blame me if your wife looks cuter than Nera/Flora and you end up choosing Bianca from that point on. 😉

Edited by FenrirZero

8 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

Then can the canon while going meta, my man! 👍 But always remember that Dragon Quest: Your Story did it first. 🤓 ...Which has helped renew my interest in that film.

Either way, go that route if it makes you both happy. Just don't blame me if your wife looks cuter than Nera/Flora and you end up choosing Bianca from that point on. 😉

Nah Bianca is alright and all and may be the "canon" but honestly I'll take the kind gentle Disney princess type like Nera or Serena from DQ11 any day.  And yes I would want the kind gentle graceful elegance that Mint offers from Tales of Phantasia 🙂

• Like 1

My favorite of the series is a tie between

Dragon Quest VII & Dragon Quest VIII

Dragon Quest VII was the most epic game in the series. You really felt as if you were exploring this absolutely enormous world! Also, going back and forth between time made it feel even more epic! The characters were all unique and felt as if they had real personalities - and there were enough surprises that it kept you on your toes. Furthermore, things changed constantly in the world and it really felt like it was alive.

Dragon Quest VIII did most everything right. My only real complaint was how boring the final boss was. Your companions were all really cool, the Monster Arena was cool, the alchemy pot (first appearance) was great... the voice acting was superb! The DS version is definitely the superior version since it includes many bonuses (including in my opinion the best ending) which are not in the PS2 version.

I'm really looking forward to the DQIII remake, I suspect it will be epic and perhaps among the best game in the series.

• Like 1

So now we know that officially DQ12 is in the works...let me tell ya that is gonna be a very tall order to match up to DQ11!  Do we know yet what system it's gonna be on?  If it's gonna be on the PS5 (which I'm guessing is very likely as it's not coming until 2022 at the earliest) then I'm kinda screwed.  I mean $500 is a pretty big investment for just one game...

• Like 1

They publicly stated that DQ12 was in the works back in like 2018 or so.

The fact that they still don't have anything to show 3-4 years later gives the impression that the development has been slow or troubled, if not started over completely at some point. Covid-19 of course might have been another major factor, as was theorized regarding Elden Ring.

So yeah, 2022 the earliest for sure. Sounds like this is going to be very different from DQ11. I really hope they know what they are doing...

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 9:04 AM, Estil said:

Nah Bianca is alright and all and may be the "canon" but honestly I'll take the kind gentle Disney princess type like Nera or Serena from DQ11 any day.  And yes I would want the kind gentle graceful elegance that Mint offers from Tales of Phantasia 🙂

What I meant was that you should be the version of the Hero that says "I know Bianca is the one I was supposed to marry, but she is not wife material to me." As in a nod to your wife dressing up as your favorite of the two (three, if you go the DS route). 🙂

Plus I like Arche Klein a bit more in Tales of Phantasia. Which probably explains why Ashlynn is my favorite when it comes to the U.S. version of the Dragon Quest characters. 😅

And for the record... Their announcement for Dragon Quest XII was aimed towards the Japanese fans. And those who know that Yuji Horii does not reveal anything prior to the moment he has a release date set up for the game. 😅

In all cases, Dragon Quest XII's "big reveal" is no different than the one done for Dragon Quest XI. And I remember this because I spent more time waiting for updates than I spent playing the game. With me, like others, not knowing anything prior to the moment they sent out the release date posters in Japan.

As for the games before it... Here are commercials for Dragon Quest I-VIII and Dragon Quest Walk. I used to watch the original commercials when I was walking my route from Ikebukuro to Nakano Broadway. 🙂

So for those who are new to the franchise, I can only offer the following tidbits:

1. Yuji Horii is involved in everything tied to the franchise. Which includes the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC stuff.

2. This update. And by "recruitment" my guess is that Yuji Horii needs a second team to do a Switch version of the game. As well as a development team when it comes to the game's western releases.

3. If you need any information, always feel free to ask me. At this point it is the only reason why I am still visiting VGS😅

Edited by FenrirZero
Walk debuted in 2019. I have not been there since 2018.

18 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

In all cases, Dragon Quest XII's "big reveal" is no different than the one done for Dragon Quest XI.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Of course there's a point in every sequel's development where we don't have footage of it yet.
But we saw actual gameplay of Dragon Quest XI as far back as 2015, before they even made a trailer for the game. Two years before the game's eventual release. At that point it had supposedly been in development for two years as well.

If they still don't have anything to show from XII (after it's been reported to be in development for at least three years), I'd say that even a Japanese 2022 release is optimistic. I'd wager we'll see it in English in 2023 at the earliest.

Of course, it's possible that they have a trailer or gameplay footage lined up to deliver a whammy real soon, maybe even at E3. But like you said, DQ is marketed towards the Japanese audience first and foremost, so that seems unlikely. It smells more like they wanted to do a trailer but didn't have time to put one together for the deadline.

However, I think the relative success of DQXI followed by its appearance in Smash Bros. will probably affect the marketing of XII to some extent, with Square Enix definitely giving the international market a bigger focus, and I think it's probably unlikely we'll have to wait quite as long for a localization this time around.

Edited by Sumez
  • Confused 1

To be honest, @Sumez, what you said is why I literally ignored everything you said to others. And not because your first response to me had you snub my fandom. And for what? Something you thought was true. 😶

As for the footage we both brought up... How is this actual gameplay? What they showed is test footage that offers no combat, no hints on what the story is about, and nothing else that is not revealed until the end of the game.

Where as the trailer for the 2D-HD remake of Dragon Quest III begins where Dragon Quest XI ends.

And what about the things that can be looked up? Again, you did not make an effort to read that before you responded. With things you say make little sense because Yuji Horii himself is saying something completely different.

Oh... And for the record, I like @avatar!'s reason for liking Dragon Quest VII. And I would have preferred talking about what games others like, and not stuff that contradicts what Yuji Horii is saying. Which is why I am going to bow out and take a break from this topic.

That, and Dragon Quest VI is currently my favorite game in the franchise. Second place is Dragon Quest X, with Dragon Quest VIII being third because the final boss fight was a mixed bag for me.

6 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

To be honest, @Sumez, what you said is why I literally ignored everything you said to others. And not because your first response to me had you snub my fandom. And for what? Something you thought was true. 😶

Excuse me what

7 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

And what about the things that can be looked up? Again, you did not make an effort to read that before you responded. With things you say make little sense because Yuji Horii himself is saying something completely different.

You're the person who's responding with stuff that's completely unrelated to what I was even talking about. You are not making any sense, my friend.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

You're the person who's responding with stuff that's completely unrelated to what I was even talking about. You are not making any sense, my friend.

And what you just said to me is condescending, friend. Because the person who is willing to ignore the fact that Yuji Horii has given updates about Dragon Quest XII is you. With claims that any non-fan who is immediately claiming to be a fan because the series is a thing now. Stuff that I am strongly trying to avoid getting involved in. 😐

If you know your franchise, you would know that Dragon Quest III was intended to be the first chapter of that trilogy. Yuji Horii himself stated that he wanted the first game to be about the descendant of Roto (Erdrick), the second game was about the descendants of the hero in the first game, and the third game is where the story of this legend begins.

You would also know that he said that Dragon Quest XI was a reboot, but never went into details. This resulted in the fans finding out that it is a prologue, with the game explaining how the title of Roto/Erdrick came to be. With this resulting in the story leading to Dragon Quest III and the story leading to Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Hearts being what is left.

With Dragon Quest III we are only shown the final fight between Ortega and Baramos in the Famicom. In both the SFC and GBC version, they expand this by showing him leaving both his wife and newborn child behind. They explain he is the legendary hero and it was his destiny to fight Baramos one last time.

The game also expanded into a dream where the hero is a monster, with that being a stats developing quiz of sorts.

So lets go into that stuff I would have brought if you chose to respect it. The footage is what you have mentioned, and I would have said how tricky it can be if this game's main hero is Ortega. Especially since his last appearance was in Dragon Quest of the Stars. Which has me feel like he wants people to speculate (try it) before the big reveal.

Atop of that, the link you chose to snub twice addresses the technical and international ends of everything you brought up. The only issue now is that you refuse to hear what is saying. Which is that there are no setbacks, he needs a bigger team to tackle the game's story, and he is making this game for the international fanbase.

Stuff I was reading up on while you turned this topic into a "Sumez says this is happening to Dragon Quest XII" bit. I mean, seriously dude, the franchise to me is like 3 screw and 5 screw NES carts are to others. And you saying that because you refuse to listen is condescending enough to make me want to take a break from this topic. 😩

Which I am officially doing because you made it clear that your claims are more important. And I'd rather respect you by walking away than do something that ruins this franchise for me a second time.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

George Costanza Fighting GIF

Nah man... I only do that with @Estil. And only when I bring up that Ashlynn is better magic using waifu material than Nera! 🤓

But yeah... I'm going to vacate the topic while I aim to fix up my Dragon Quest collection. I can only guess that it is the "sane" thing to do.

Edited by FenrirZero

I may not know all the details, and compared to Final Fantasy I guess I'm more passive of a fan, but more as time went along more into it than the other because of the consistency of things.  I was there from the N-series of titles we did get in the day, dropped out when it jumped to Sony, and due to that missed a heap until the thing came home on DS.  By that point life got to where I can't easily(really at all) put 50-100+ hours into a game and seeing how DQ sadly does this as normal, it's a bit of a put off.  I find I'll buy but I play until I just wither from it, perhaps return, perhaps not, but as long as I enjoy what I've done to that point I don't mind it.  That movie Netflix dropped last year, now that was a piece of beauty and I do believe it was based on what DQ5?  I never got far in that one, never touched 6 or 8 either, 7 I did more than 1/2 on 3DS years later.

I really wish those fools would given the international base it has now would go back and do a mass translation package of the old manga, anime, other goodies and prep it for the english speaking world as i'd be all over it.