IGNORED

The SNES Rankings - Finished!

Editorials Team · Posted
Moderator · Posted

A lot to digest here, getting to some legitimately great games. I would flip the whole list around of these, the first half are better than the second half.

Other thoughts, Spike McFang could’ve been better but the spin jump??? Made it too easy. You are so right that the genny Aladdin is superior. Cool spot and micro machines are vastly underrated. The Firemen is one of the best games on any system. Really easy initially, but the last 2 levels are brutal if you don’t memorize them. 

Still going solid and more exciting with lots of good games coming into the picture. No real shockers yet which I am a bit surprised by. Starting to see a deviation in our preference in genre, or games we're bias to from growing up with, but generally the list is well explained and puts that into context. 

I'd have Pitfall a little higher, and although Aladdin is generic and easy, I'd push it slightly higher as well. Simple but a classic. Most of the games I'd knock down just play too slow for me like super double Dragon and a few of the strategy games (again likely more about preference in play style more than quality of game).  

Couldn't agree more about NHL 94. We played that one endlessly even though we had the others around. Always played against the Kings and tried to injure Gretzky. Still play it from time to time. 

A few games I don't even think I've played either like F1. Have to check the few of these I haven't really looked into. 

Good list.. looking forward to the next set. Thanks. 

Editorials Team · Posted
48 minutes ago, Red said:

#164 - Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure has The Peace Keepers screenshots.

I'm surprised you (and doner24) consider Spike McFang easy.  I had to do some tedious grinding to get through it.  Maybe I was missing something?

Thanks.

Perhaps someday we’ll get the vampire Zelda game we deserve.

not a Legacy of Kain fan huh

(I've only played Blood Omen and wasn't too impressed overall)

You play as two dudes (it’s Bimmy and Jimmy, but it may as well be anyone)

I see what you did there.

Edited by MagusSmurf

• The title was changed to The SNES Rankings - 564/714 finished
On 3/5/2021 at 8:42 AM, Andy_Bogomil said:

Still going solid and more exciting with lots of good games coming into the picture. No real shockers yet which I am a bit surprised by. Starting to see a deviation in our preference in genre, or games we're bias to from growing up with, but generally the list is well explained and puts that into context. 

I'd have Pitfall a little higher, and although Aladdin is generic and easy, I'd push it slightly higher as well. Simple but a classic. Most of the games I'd knock down just play too slow for me like super double Dragon and a few of the strategy games (again likely more about preference in play style more than quality of game).  

Couldn't agree more about NHL 94. We played that one endlessly even though we had the others around. Always played against the Kings and tried to injure Gretzky. Still play it from time to time. 

A few games I don't even think I've played either like F1. Have to check the few of these I haven't really looked into. 

Good list.. looking forward to the next set. Thanks. 

No shockers?  What about Wolf 3D being this high? For some reason I thought that had already been reviewed like 400 games ago lol.

It SUCKS, the graphics are worse and less comprehensible than any N64 game by a long shot, and you know how I feel about that trash.  You can barely even decipher what is happening in this version, I had to do a double take when looking up videos of it because I legit though they were like 240p, but no, it really is that awful.

Generally I'm not one to mince words about game rankings but this one just feels so far out of whack I can't let it stand.  Or maybe the SNES library is just that bad?  I can't admit to playing even a fraction of the games Reed has, but what the fuck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, peg said:

No shockers?  What about Wolf 3D being this high? For some reason I thought that had already been reviewed like 400 games ago lol.

It SUCKS, the graphics are worse and less comprehensible than any N64 game by a long shot, and you know how I feel about that trash.  You can barely even decipher what is happening in this version, I had to do a double take when looking up videos of it because I legit though they were like 240p, but no, it really is that awful.

Generally I'm not one to mince words about game rankings but this one just feels so far out of whack I can't let it stand.  Or maybe the SNES library is just that bad?  I can't admit to playing even a fraction of the games Reed has, but what the fuck.

I think you are comparing Wolfenstein to Wolfenstein and not to other games on the system or your standards are too high for this title due to its multiple releases. I agree that the graphics are god awful, but it is playable and gave the option of playing this on SNES from PC which is pretty solid for the time. Doom is not much different. Played it bunch back in the day, borderline unplayable at this point in time due to graphics, but still I think deserves a higher spot on the list for similar reasons. I agree Wolfenstein probably shouldn't be as high as it is but it definitely didn't shock me when I saw where it was.

I guess a shocker would be seeing a top 100 game somewhere below 150 or 200 as the library drops pretty significantly in quality after about 10-15% of the games. The WWF games being as low as they were is more of a shocker than this and I don't even like wrestling.

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I guess a shocker would be seeing a top 100 game somewhere below 150 or 200 as the library drops pretty significantly in quality after about 10-15% of the games. The WWF games being as low as they were is more of a shocker than this and I don't even like wrestling.

Those wrestling games (and NCW) have received by far the most gnashing of teeth.  Which is fine, because I expected it going in.  I'll never (personally) understand the appeal 😄

Saturday Night Slammasters on the other hand...

• Like 1

I spent probably about 10 hrs this past weekend, catching up on 300 entries (or so) and got a lot of enjoyment out of it. I really enjoy your writing style, humor and the references.

Thank you for taking the time to put it all together, I know its a significant amount of time invested 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, peg said:

I was thinking in the opposite direction for Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, though I wasn't going to bother saying anything about it, but after seeing your tirade, I'll mention it here.  What the hell is that game doing this far up the backwaters of the SNES rankings?!?  No way is ROTK II not in the top 50 SNES games; it's easily the best strategy-sim game on the console.  But, what it comes down to, is if the guy doing the ranking isn't into a particular genre of games, then that genre ain't gonna git no luvin'  ...sad but true... 😞

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Those wrestling games (and NCW) have received by far the most gnashing of teeth.  Which is fine, because I expected it going in.  I'll never (personally) understand the appeal 😄

Saturday Night Slammasters on the other hand...

Saturday night slammasters is awesome once you get in to it. Almost like a beat em more than a wrestling game. Played so much 2p in that game with my friend back when it was new. 

I think the WWF games are simple, easy to learn and emulate actual wrestling pretty well which was crazy popular when those games were released. The games lack depth but I believe they deserved a bit better just for how they play. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I was thinking in the opposite direction for Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, though I wasn't going to bother saying anything about it, but after seeing your tirade, I'll mention it here.  What the hell is that game doing this far up the backwaters of the SNES rankings?!?  No way is ROTK II not in the top 50 SNES games; it's easily the best strategy-sim game on the console.  But, what it comes down to, is if the guy doing the ranking isn't into a particular genre of games, then that genre ain't gonna git no luvin'  ...sad but true... 😞

Haha that game and a lot of those dessert storm/mech games would be way down my list because of my negative bias towards that genre. Anything that plays slow is typically not my thing.