IGNORED

The SNES Rankings - Finished!

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, MrWunderful said:

Ive been putting it off for a while. I have act raiser but only put 20 minutes in to it 8 years ago and need to revisit it first. 

I just mentioned it kuz i had one for sale, didn't know if u needed it lol.  

• The title was changed to The SNES Rankings - 614/714 finished
Editorials Team · Posted

I'm pushing it out the door.  I'll try to pretty it up later.

http://snesrankings.com/games/150_126.html

http://snesrankings.com/games/125_101.html

(I also flip-flopped on one game and retroactively placed it at #175)

http://snesrankings.com/games/175_151.html#175

@Tanooki @Andy_Bogomil @peg @Splain @spacepup @JamesRobot @bronzeshield @Space Jockey @Kguillemette @Daniel_Doyce @a3quit4s @ICrappedMyPants @scaryice @Matchbook @Shmup @KokiriChild @ALTQQ @jonebone @Ausden @AstralSoul @Gaia Gensouki @doner24 @Foochie776 @guillavoie @glazball @profholt82 @TheBiRD @LHCGreg @Dr. Morbis @RetroMichel @MrWunderful @ChickenTendas  @niner @MagusSmurf @Jeevan

Once again, the eternally patient @Splain and @JamesRobot were on hand to make this crap at least partially readable.  My debt to them grows.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted
55 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Oh sweet time to buy more SNES games!

Edit: got Earth Defense Force for less than $20 any other titles you really enjoyed @Reed Rothchild?

Every game at this point. 

Top Gear, all of the sports game, Cacoma Knight, Total Carnage, Urban Strike, and many others were dirt cheap last I checked.

30 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Every game at this point. 

Top Gear, all of the sports game, Cacoma Knight, Total Carnage, Urban Strike, and many others were dirt cheap last I checked.

I actually have Total Carnage I'll have to pop it in and give it a shot since I liked smash tv when I played it for weekly NES challenge. 

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

• I beat Disaster Report, and it's bad. SOS sounds very similar: terrible controls with an interesting premise.
  • Seems like you enjoy the wrestling games that are more like fighting games than actual wrestling (Slam Masters, Wrestlemania Arcade).
  • From the Tin Star review: "Gameplay is broken up into seven different levels, each representing a day of the week." My experience with Famicom games tells me this is a winning concept!
  • Re: RNR Racing, I think the soundtrack is the difference. I never knew about RPM Racing back in the day, but I at least checked out RNR via rental. Maybe they marketed the game more, since they had a hook for it (or to make up for the cost of the music).
  • Final Fight's sequels are a missed opportunity IMO. Neither added much to the genre, so I can't recommend playing any of the SNES games when you can just play the original arcade classic. (I guess I'm preemptively calling out Final Fight 3 for being ranked too high)
  • Was expecting Star Fox in the top 100, but it absolutely doesn't hold up compared to 64, so good call. Battletoads was another that I agree with - tried it out recently and wasn't impressed.
  • On the other hand, I tried out Firepower 2000 recently, and it's quite good. It's basically a 16-bit version of the NES game Silkworm. I don't enjoy it when shooters make you scroll the screen back and forth, but other than that, I really like it. I'd rank it higher.

Doesn't seem like there will be too many surprises in the top 100. That's expected, since I think there's always been more a consensus about the system's top games compared to the NES. The order will be where the drama lies, so looking forward to it...

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

A few corrections:

• In the review for Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Fighting Edition: It should be "Gundam Wing: Endless Duel", not "Gundam Endless Wing".
  • The Final Fight 2 review includes a picture of Final Fight 3.
  • Taking a ball in Super Baseball 2020 does not give you any cash.
  • Strider did get a Genesis port. I haven't played it but I think it is pretty well regarded. Also, the NES game isn't a port of the arcade game, it's its own thing.
  • Final Fight is ranked too low.

As always, thanks for writing these!

Edited by LHCGreg
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

(I also flip-flopped on one game and retroactively placed it at #175)

http://snesrankings.com/games/175_151.html#175

@Tanooki @Andy_Bogomil @peg @Splain @spacepup @JamesRobot @bronzeshield @Space Jockey @Kguillemette @Daniel_Doyce @a3quit4s @ICrappedMyPants @scaryice @Matchbook @Shmup @KokiriChild @ALTQQ @jonebone @Ausden @AstralSoul @Gaia Gensouki @doner24 @Foochie776 @guillavoie @glazball @profholt82 @TheBiRD @LHCGreg @Dr. Morbis @RetroMichel @MrWunderful @ChickenTendas  @niner @MagusSmurf @Jeevan

Once again, the eternally patient @Splain and @JamesRobot were on hand to make this crap at least partially readable.  My debt to them grows.

Thanks for tag, will make for some good coffee reading!  Also, was glad to see TinStar make a list at #138. I haven't played that much SNES but that's one game my daughter picked out based on box art so we tried it.  I thought it was pretty solid for what it was as well.

Nice write ups. Finally up to the solid B and B+, the not quite classics, the hidden gems, etc.

I feel like a lot of my snes collecting/playing in recent years has been with this tier of games.  Games I never owned (maybe randomly rented) or just totally missed out on back in the 16 era, but really dig today.

Well that one was fun for those 2 new pages of stuff.  Got me thinking about a few that I never had before but wanted like Saturday Night Slammasters (I just have Super WWF which is strangely good despite the bad breeding.)  F1 Roc II I would have dismissed as another mindless f1 racer, but going arcady enough to be like F-Zero moves it into worth looking at.

I was surprised to see oddballs like Ardy and Zero score nicely like that.

I was surprised to both see Starfox 2 included, but also noted it would end up inthe 200s, seems a bit unfair, but then I saw the comment about only playing it once and it got me thinking.  Was this played on standard difficulty?  Nintendo did something really weird with the game I do not agree with on there, you have to play it on increasing difficulty levels to get more of the game, and hardest is the most.  An entire part of the game is excluded which centers around a computer virus that'll have to be either taken down in flight, or once it hits your defense platform, as it will turn on both you and the planet doing an orbital bombardment.  If it gets to that point, a full sequence is done where you basically blow stuff up off the platform using arwings as anti-virus.  Going up in difficulty also increases the fights on planets and total battleships to take down too.

Administrator · Posted

@Tanooki isn't that how all of the Star Fox games work? I mostly played the 64 game, but I'm pretty sure the original was the same - if you take the most difficult path, you get more of the story. It's just being presented in a different manner in 2, by asking you the difficulty you want to play on. 

20 hours ago, Gloves said:

@Tanooki isn't that how all of the Star Fox games work? I mostly played the 64 game, but I'm pretty sure the original was the same - if you take the most difficult path, you get more of the story. It's just being presented in a different manner in 2, by asking you the difficulty you want to play on. 

Yeah kind of at least.  The original one I don't think added more story, but primarily just gave harder stages to increase the challenge.  N64 though I do think added a bit more dialog and stuff for more depth.  I don't remember if the ones after did, never got that deep into them as the quality went downhill.  Starfox 2 though is the most glaring, because not only is the game increasing the difficulty, it's the only way to get the actual full game from it and story too.  Normal on this game, is like in the old 8/16bit era where you think you're cute playing on easy, then 4 of the 9 stages in the game says -- great playing, nice job on easy, now start over and play it right.

• Like 1