IGNORED

No politics

Tanooki

8 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

bah, political discussions are usually filled with guys that actually tell their wife or girlfriend the real price they paid for stuff, no collector of awesomeness wants to be surrounded by that 🙂

There's a meme for that now 😛

Wife: "What's an SMB-VGA-85+?"

Husband: "Damn taxes..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think that the way political/touchy topics on NA was always handled pretty tastefully.  Let it go if it stays constructive/respectful-ish.  This has always been a pretty tight knit community so these things come up and I don’t think most have an issue hearing others opinions on them.  It would be a shame to hand cuff the community on this.

• Like 2

As far as politics and/or religion go, I'm pretty open minded on both topics (which probably makes me as rare as a NWC gold cart) and don't mind hearing different people's takes on both issues. I wouldn't see a problem with allowing a thread for it in the everything else section and if people can't keep their discussions civilized, issue a warning and if the behavior continues, lock it up then. 

The politics threads on the old NA never got really bad. I don't recall discussions devolving into ad hominem attacks or anything of that sort, at worst the threads would go into circular discussions until it died. The smallish size and the fact you're conversing with people who might want to someday buy games from I think kept discussions relevantly civil. @N64 Gamer is also right that video game discussion can potentially segue into social or political themes. Mods shouldn't need to have to play referee trying to decide when threads become "too political".

I think politics threads are fine, but if there is a tag option that lets people mass ignore those types of threads we should look into implementing it.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
12 hours ago, N64 Gamer said:

I’m personally fine either way. If the mods decide to ban politics discussions however, I do believe that they have to be very clear on what constitutes as “politics”.

for example. What if certain politicians call for a ban on certain video games or in other ways disrupt the video game industry? Should we not be allowed to discuss that subject and the politicians involved?

What if a game implements LGBT+ elements and it becomes a controversial subject (political groups calling for boycotts, etc.)? Should we not be allowed to discuss the LGBT+ aspects of the game and the effects, even if LGBT+ is a hot topic in many political discussions and something that overlaps with a lot of policies?

There are many other situations like these where you’d have to make a clear definition on what is considered a political discussion and not. I think you will have to be very clear on that before enforcing a “no politics” rule on the boards.

This is just one of many reasons why I think it is unnecessary and arbitrarily complicated to try to enforce or regulate some sort of “no politics” or “regulated politics” structure here.  In everything else, topics and discussions should be allowed as long as people aren’t breaking the rules.  We enforce the rules and try to keep things under control.  

I seriously don’t think this was a major, pervasive issue on NA, and I actually think we and members did a decent job of not letting it get too out of hand.

I really don’t want to get into the business of dictating the nuanced ways in which people can or cannot discuss certain topics.  As with everything else - be reasonable.  If someone is bringing up something controversial to intentionally rile people up or cause negativity, then we will stop it using judgment and context.  If people are getting out of hand or personal, we’ll do the same.

• Like 2

I think it falls under the forum rules of "off-topic discussion" which most forums established in the long-long ago.

Most forums are gonna have a thread/section for politics (and anything else that might get brought up frequently). And they don't want people going off on tangents about things that aren't related to the topic of the thread, whether that's political arguments/discussion in a video game thread, or discussion about video games in a political thread.

Politics, movies, religion, cooking, etc. are all potentially good thread topics for the "Everything Else" section.