IGNORED

Physical Copies of Tamashii on PS4 & Supposedly only 90 copies sold?

Anyone here manage to get their hands on a copy last Halloween? https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=tamashii+ps4&_sacat=0&_sop=10

https://limitedgamenews.com/2020/11/01/tamashii-limited-rare-games-playstation-4/

I didn't even know that this existed until today. Talk about a fucking wacky release! 🤪 Hope no one here is aiming for a full Ps4 game set. 🤣

-There can be only one ninety!

Edited by Sir Centroid
  • Like 2

I wondered if a publisher would do this. Sony has a minimum print quantity for game orders. I don’t know exactly what that number is by region but I think it’s at least 500 or 1000.

I always wondered if a publisher might claim there’s only a very small quantity of games available just to boost the market price of the game. Then slowly sell the copies they have into the market.

One way to make money is to have an actual good game and sell tons of volume for small margin. The other way is to have an absolute crap game that sells for rarity alone with tons of margin per sale.

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I wondered if a publisher would do this. Sony has a minimum print quantity for game orders. I don’t know exactly what that number is by region but I think it’s at least 500 or 1000.

I always wondered if a publisher might claim there’s only a very small quantity of games available just to boost the market price of the game. Then slowly sell the copies they have into the market.

One way to make money is to have an actual good game and sell tons of volume for small margin. The other way is to have an absolute crap game that sells for rarity alone with tons of margin per sale.

The minimum was 1000 last I checked. 

22 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Well, the publisher didn't claim that. They communicated more or less entirely in memes. All they said about numbers was that they sold "more than 90". 91 is more than 90; so is 500, 1000, and 50,000. 😄

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

IF they had sold just over 90 copies, then held onto the other 909 or so copies to sell, well shit! At 1k a piece, they're almost a millionaire!

And this is why I will never even attempt a full set for PS4/Switch and all subsequent consoles. To have any chance, you literally have to fund shitty $60 games and pray that a company that's never released a product pulls through. No thanks.

I understand they likely produced/sold 1000, but my point stands.

Edited by DoctorEncore

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

People must think these games are burned and assembled by hand in boutique batches of a dozen at a time. 

Well shit.. Give it to me straight, have I been doing it incorrectly all this time? It seemed financially viable!

Edited by Sir Centroid

• 1 month later...

They definitely sold more than 90.  This was their second release, after Poop Slinger.  Poop Slinger supposedly sold 84 copies (based solely on Tweets from the publisher). 

Poop Slinger had skyrocketed in price before Tamashii ever went on sale, so people knew what Limited Rare Games was and that it wasn't a scam deal at that point.  (Poop Slinger went on sale on April Fools Day and people thought it was a scam.) 

Given the number of people complaining about slow shipping time on Tamashii on the publisher's Twitter account, I'm betting they sold however many copies they made available - several hundred copies at the very least based on the Tweets and the copies that have already been on eBay.