IGNORED

Console Debate #28 Sega Saturn

fox

How do you rate Sega Saturn?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Sega Saturn?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

On 5/15/2021 at 12:21 PM, LastCat said:

A few examples I can remember on the top of my head are Grandia and Soukyuu Gurentai. Both ran much better on the Saturn than their PS1 counterparts. Also pretty much almost every 2D fighter runs better on the Saturn than the butchered PS1 ports.

I've heard Strikers 1945 (1) and Shienryu are better on the Saturn.

@DefaultGen I just tend to ignore when people do huge game lists in these threads so I didn't want to do it as well. The games I listed are ones I played/completed. No one has mentioned the light gun games or the racing ones. Then do we count ports such as Metal Slug or Resident Evil or Mega Man X4 or nah? Short lists are simple 🙂

Editorials Team · Posted
6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Oh that's quite alright it seems, I was told we shouldn't be considering the entirety of the library when ranking consoles.

Actually you were told to consider all of the good games in the entirety of the library, but hey, who's counting!

26 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Actually you were told to consider all of the good games in the entirety of the library, but hey, who's counting!

No, I was told it was unreasonable to look at the entirety of a set, i.e. US+J+EUR, and that a sense of how a console should rank could be determined without looking at the entirety, which would not be a feasible option for most.

It was then also pointed out to me that the set we should be looking at was the US set.

You should go check again across the multiple threads if trying to score a "win" means that much to you.

Saturn has lots of great games, but there's too many Mahjong, Shogi and Pachinko games, so it's obviously a 1/10.

In terms of lack of shovelware, it can't compete with the likes of the 32X and Virtual Boy, which are objectively superior platforms.

Edited by cj_robot

58 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

It was then also pointed out to me that the set we should be looking at was the US set.

Did anyone say any of the sort?

I definitely addressed that. But what I said was that the US library alone was more than enough to cement the NES as a top player - not that anything else doesn't matter. I'm not from the US, I have no nostalgia for US exclusive releases, and have absolutely no investment in that "set". A majority of my NES collection consists of Famicom releases.

In pretty much the same breath I also said, straight up, that it's impossible to rate the Saturn without looking at Japanese releases.

Edited by Sumez

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Sumez said:

No 😂

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

No, I was told it was unreasonable to look at the entirety of a set, i.e. US+J+EUR, and that a sense of how a console should rank could be determined without looking at the entirety, which would not be a feasible option for most.

You should go check again across the multiple threads if trying to score a "win" means that much to you.

This is a series of debates.  We're debating.  You bring hot takes and you're gonna be challenged on them.  That's the whole point.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

If we're only considering good games I need to consider my score. I think Saturn is average because it has a bunch of good games. My real complaint is that it lacks variety in great and excellent games, but I didn't know I'm not supposed to take that into account.

Editorials Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

If we're only considering good games I need to consider my score. I think Saturn is average because it has a bunch of good games. My real complaint is that it lacks variety in great and excellent games, but I didn't know I'm not supposed to take that into account.

I can't tell who's being trolled anymore.  There's too many layers 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cj_robot said:

Saturn has lots of great games, but there's too many Mahjong, Shogi and Pachinko games, so it's obviously a 1/10.

In terms of lack of shovelware, it can't compete with the likes of the 32X and Virtual Boy, which are objectively superior platforms.

NTSC-J PS2 Library says hi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

I definitely addressed that. But what I said was that the US library alone was more than enough to cement the NES as a top player - not that anything else doesn't matter. I'm not from the US, I have no nostalgia for US exclusive releases, and have absolutely no investment in that "set". A majority of my NES collection consists of Famicom releases.

In pretty much the same breath I also said, straight up, that it's impossible to rate the Saturn without looking at Japanese releases.

To inconveniently quote you:

'People should definitely stop pretending the NES and Famicom are two separate platforms. It's not like anyone thinks Japanese Dreamcast and American Dreamcast are two separate systems.
It's just a name, that's all it is.

That said, even as someone who loves a ton of Japanese exclusives on the NES, the bulk of the good part of the library still exists as North American releases (Europe was much less fortunate), while the absolute cream of the crop timeless classics all had overseas releases.
So while I'd say it's completely ridiculous to try to say anything about the worth of the Saturn without looking at Japanese releases, you can still get a perfectly solid impression of the best stuff the NES has to offer looking only at the US library."

You suggest it's enough to look at the USA set and ignore the other sets, to get a good idea of how the system should rank. Yet roughly one half of the NTSC NES set was crap, period. Similarly, Famicom *did not* have that 400 titles of shit, and had instead around 750 or so exclusives. Some don't appeal to western gamers, some are crap, some are superb.

Give it up, it's impossible to accurately assess a system based on a limited region subset. Your top 25 list varies quite a bit from mine, yeah the cream of the crop for sure wasn't always released in every region .

Rothchild can't accept that someone would rate the piece of shit that is super Nintendo a 1, so be it, I hold no value in any of his posts on the matter since rating games / consoles, whether positive or negative, is subjective, and and I've provided more than enough reasons why I don't fancy it.

Sumez, unlike Rothhead, i do value your opinion, but the "it works this way for this platform" yet "it works a different way for that platform" weak ass justifications for rating honestly get super old. 😉

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

Are you even reading the stuff I wrote? Are you even reading the stuff I wrote that you just copypasted into your own post? 🤔

Are you even looking at the numbers of exclusives and logically think about how if one machine has half of its titles not appearing Bon the other machine, and the other machine has two times the exclusives, how they can be judged as the same machine, just by looking at one region's library?

To be honest, it would be the same as considering Danish , Norwegian, and Swedish as dialects of the same language, or German and Dutch as just dialects of a common language, just by taking a quick superficial glance and ignoring the major differences. 😉

Edited by fcgamer

I liked the Die Hard game that came to arcade in 1996. I was blown away when I heard those machines were basically just running a slightly modified Saturn board. I've never owned a Saturn, and I didn't play it that much, but I liked a lot of the games for it. Seemed like it had a ton of fighting games, or maybe it was just that my friend bought them all. Right now, the only Saturn game in my collection is Scud The Disposable Assassin, just because I love the comic.

6/10 I bought my Saturn at Toys R Us when they had a deal to get two free games. Then the system had 3 pack in games, which were Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter, and Nights into Dreams. My free games were Doom and Bug. It was an enjoyable system but I only bought a few extra games. 

Edited by themisfit138

You know in this Saturn commercial me and my grandpa thought he looked just like Dave Winfield! 😄   Say you reckon you could get a Sega Saturn console/screen built into the back of a Saturn car? 😄 

Imagine having a Saturn coming with a Saturn as standard equipment! 😄 

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, BouncekDeLemos said:

10/10. 11/10 if there were such a thing. Love this console more than any other.

Unpopular opinion: Saturn Doom isn't as bad as most people say it is. 

Of course, this is coming from a guy who thinks Starfox on SNES still holds up. I'm just a complete wacko. lol 😆

Yeah I don’t mind it either. The PS version is apparently better but I only ever played it on PC growing up then played the Japanese Saturn version a few months ago. The Japanese version is meant to be the slightly better out of the three Saturn versions.

Saturn (along with PC Engine, Sega CD and Dreamcast) is a system that I don’t intend to collect for. Way too expensive to collect.

Will be playing on the real hardware, but my gaming will be limited to optical drive emulators and flash storage. Benefits are faster loading times and ability to play translations of the Japanese games.