IGNORED

Israel/Palestine Rocket Exchange (Non-political)

phart010

First off, I know the whole Palestinian versus Israeli discussion gets very politically charged with heated arguments from both sides. I am not making this thread to discuss pro-Palestine or pro-Israel viewpoints. Please take that discussion elsewhere, not in this thread.

I want to discuss and make sense the video below:

This video is supposedly an exchange of missiles from Gaza (Palestinian territory) into Israel, but then Israel has a missile defense system, referred to as the “Iron Dome” which intercepts incoming missiles before they can land on Israeli soil.

My understanding is that the Israeli missile defense system consists of rockets, which are known as interceptors. These can be launched vertically from populated areas in Israel to protect the populated areas. Using radar and other tracking tech, they intercept and collide with incoming enemy rockets with 90% accuracy. 

I am trying to understand what I am seeing in this video. Are the missiles seen in this video launching from Gaza? If so, are they exploding mid-air as a result of being intercepted by Israeli missile defense? I do not see any missile to missile collisions.

The area appears to be relatively urbanized, so my guess was that we are actually looking at Israel in the video. In that case, the rockets being launched are part of Israel’s defense system. But even then, the missiles appear to be detonating in mid-air. They do not appear to be intercepting anything though..

I have seen footage of missiles landing on separate occasions and they appear to be bright for the entire trajectory until collision. 

Can someone with some background shed some light on what is happening in this video?

Edited by phart010

14 minutes ago, phart010 said:

First off, I know the whole Palestinian versus Israeli discussion gets very politically charged with heated arguments from both sides. I am not making this thread to discuss pro-Palestine or pro-Israel viewpoints. Please take that discussion elsewhere, not in this thread.

I want to discuss and make sense the video below:

This video is supposedly an exchange of missiles from Gaza (Palestinian territory) into Israel, but then Israel has a missile defense system, referred to as the “Iron Dome” which intercepts incoming missiles before they can land on Israeli soil.

My understanding is that the Israeli missile defense system consists of rockets, which are known as interceptors. These can be launched vertically from populated areas in Israel to protect the populated areas. Using radar and other tracking tech, they intercept and collide with incoming enemy rockets with 90% accuracy. 

I am trying to understand what I am seeing in this video. Are the missiles seen in this video launching from Gaza? If so, are they exploding mid-air as a result of being intercepted by Israeli missile defense? I do not see any missile to missile collisions.

The area appears to be relatively urbanized, so my guess was that we are actually looking at Israel in the video. In that case, the rockets being launched are part of Israel’s defense system. But even then, the missiles appear to be detonating in mid-air. They do not appear to be intercepting anything though..

I have seen footage of missiles landing on separate occasions and they appear to be bright for the entire trajectory until collision. 

Can someone with some background shed some light on what is happening in this video?

I think the missles used in the Iron Dome are equipped with proximity fuses and can either explode within a close range or on impact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

I do not see any missile to missile collisions.

But even then, the missiles appear to be detonating in mid-air. They do not appear to be intercepting anything though..

This is how they work. The tracking and intercepting technology they are using IS very very accurate, but even then it's an incredible challenge to literally hit projectiles out of the air with other projectiles.

Instead, they track as close as possible and detonate in close proximity, which generally is enough to knock the opposing projectile out of the air. Clever stuff!

53 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Guys, I'm making a thread about a peanut butter sandwich, but PLEASE do not discuss the peanut butter or jelly. Discuss the BREAD only!!!

Good luck, lol.

You know, if someone made a PB&J on rye and posted it on here, you know good and well we could discuss just the bread for 5 pages but it would end up 12 pages and we'd be talking about how on a dessert island, would we rather have an Atari Jaguar plus all games, or an MP3 player with just the Elite 8 Pop Songs from Reed's debate.

This is the way.

• Haha 1

The Iron Dome in a way if you think about it in more old military terms, say from WW2, is like a flak cannon.  Sure the shell would bring down a plane or punch a fat hole in a larger one with a direct hit, but the primary effect of them was the scatter effect. They'd be set up to go toward a target and at a certain point would explode much like a grenade throwing out in all directions withing a good radius a decent amount of shrapnel which more spread as it was could effect even worse damage as it could catch more things.  What's being used here does the same, only has to get semi-close, and when it pops the shrapnel spreads and effectively takes down within anything of a decent distance on impact with all the flak spread about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Guys, I'm making a thread about a peanut butter sandwich, but PLEASE do not discuss the peanut butter or jelly. Discuss the BREAD only!!!

Good luck, lol.

I actually like butter with such sandwiches.

Homemade bread is great for such things also.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

The Iron Dome in a way if you think about it in more old military terms, say from WW2, is like a flak cannon.  Sure the shell would bring down a plane or punch a fat hole in a larger one with a direct hit, but the primary effect of them was the scatter effect. They'd be set up to go toward a target and at a certain point would explode much like a grenade throwing out in all directions withing a good radius a decent amount of shrapnel which more spread as it was could effect even worse damage as it could catch more things.  What's being used here does the same, only has to get semi-close, and when it pops the shrapnel spreads and effectively takes down within anything of a decent distance on impact with all the flak spread about.

I get how the technology works. I guess what I’m asking is whether the visible missiles in the video are the Palestinian missiles or if they are the Israeli defense missiles.

My guess is that they are the Israeli missiles. Second part of the question was, where are the missiles that they are intercepting? Are they invisible ??

4 minutes ago, Californication said:

Has anyone had Palestinean food? There are two restaurants I've been to in SD and they are really, really good.

I love Palestinian food and Israeli food. They sure know how to cook in that part of the world

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I get how the technology works. I guess what I’m asking is whether the visible missiles in the video are the Palestinian missiles or if they are the Israeli defense missiles.

My guess is that they are the Israeli missiles. Second part of the question was, where are the missiles that they are intercepting? Are they invisible ??

I am guessing that the ones in the video (no matter whose they are) simply ran out of fuel - once they are on their trajectory they don't need continued acceleration. (The less weight you have to devote to fuel the bigger the payload you can deliver.)

Assuming those are part of Iron Dome the incoming missiles would have long (in relative time) used up their fuel.  Also if they are Israeli in the video they likely have a distance to traverse before  they do their thing.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Im just waiting for the guy who says he doesnt understand racism, while constantly making racist comments. 

Although we haven't gotten to that point so far in the secondary discussion, "white bread" will likely be used in a much different context.  Just saying.....🦌

• Haha 4

Events Team · Posted
34 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Although we haven't gotten to that point so far in the secondary discussion, "white bread" will likely be used in a much different context.  Just saying.....🦌

I don't really care for you white bread people, I like whole wheat.  

But I am a cracker person.  Ritz is my go to.

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I don't really care for you white bread people, I like whole wheat.  

But I am a cracker person.  Ritz is my go to.

Chicken in a biscuits are fine too - especially with cheddar easy cheez (I guess they no longer make the cheddar and bacon flavor).