IGNORED

Can I be welcome here?

Just now, Tanooki said:

You did?  Well if it were said 3x then it probably would have been like that old bloody mary mirror ritual or beetlejuice maybe?  I'll stick around, I still prefer to use forums over social media as it has too many cranks and it's too decentralized into fascinating tidbits than ongoing stuff.

Bql2-GEIQAEqobZ.jpg

Yeah, I mentioned you yesterday in fact (in reference to NA being shut down):

On 10/30/2019 at 6:29 PM, Philosoraptor said:

That (NA) was fun while it lasted. Should someone tell Tanooki he's not banned anymore?

Anyway,

Just now, Tanooki said:

I kept up on NA in more recent years by various means so I mean I saw the writing on the wall after that buy out, but I'll admit that did sting seeing what happened as it was well shocking.  It gave me flashbacks to an old job where one company bought another on a promise, and before the ink was dry we were all shutdown, and that seemed like a similar promise violation here too.

Pretty much. I'm interested to see how their new site is all going to play out considering how many bridges they've burned.

Just now, Tanooki said:

Either way despite what I said there, I've branched into other things.  When I got into VB I decided to get a bit of a better kit this year and learned how to repair those testy systems, and I've gotten into handheld refurbishment too.  Also I HDMI'd my Nintendo systems, all of them.  Toploader hidefnes kit, supernt, ultrahdmi, and gc2hdmi too (which covers all things GB.)  The only non-HD left are the psone+lcd and a core grafx2.  Also on a shoestring budget over a period of nearly 2 years I got flash kits for all my cart based systems except N64 which I think I'll do this black friday as last years was the pce.  Rather have fun in those limited times than stress how to cover it.  Oh also I did add one sealed game so I'm up to 2, got a Pokemon Red Version out of a goodwill in the last year for a $100 and thankfully paypal covered that.  I'll fill in any blanks if anyone cares I'm fine by that open or message.

That's awesome, man. Congrats on the complete set and the upgrades. Sounds like you've got quite a bit more knowledge and a helluva setup nowadays. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. What spurred the move to HDMI?

Also, killer find on Pokemon Red. That's the kind of find most only dream about. Gives me the warm fuzzies thinking about opening up my copy of Red on my birthday way back when. 🙂

Johnny: No problem, still have that scanned setup too.  Solid game, but I no longer have it as the time just isn't there.

OptOut: Same here the N64 (1st 3D gen) suffer the worst on non-CRTs losing lighting effects, busted shadows, mudding, overly dark, etc.  That thing makes it sweet like using a PC emulator or something and saved my console as I see it.  Though in the end probably the SuperNT or GC2HDMI external device get the most use given the games and possibilities with console and all things Gameboy.  They're amazing and so worth the money.

philosoraptor: Bridges, I think they basically self immolated the entire town there.  Looking now I see bitching over multiple locations/sites, anyone who cared is fuming.  I've got more knowledge about those things I updated into and learned to fix with the soldering iron sure but I'd say my setup is more spartan.  A couple years back I picked up this cherry vintage sony wooden stereo rack with a tempered glass tinted front and I keep almost everything inside there that's vintage.  The games the big black shelf I could load up back in the day half of it has toys now as I got back into vintage toy/antique stuff being in KY again (hell I've got a 70 toy w/all accessories set of G1 Transformers on there.)  The HDMI move was the fact I wanted to bulletproof for the future as HDMI isn't going anywhere, even the updates to it still use the same jack so it'll stand for decades.  I prefer the sharp visuals I got used to playing on PCs so it just felt right.  That VB I got, same store as the Pokemon game, and I've had other crazy things sourced out of that store too but it goes through hot and cold times, right now, cold (lack of goods not bad prices.)  I basically thrift shop daily, keeps me able to enjoy anything anymore.

Dear Tanooki. 

People can and do change, as you have already alluded to.

From your posts in this thread, it looks like you've gained some wisdom and perspective on past actions. Maturity is hard earned, much like respect. And if someone can acknowledge their past mistakes and determine to act accordingly, that means they have matured and are certainly worthy of some measure of respect. 

We are in the dawn of a new-forum-day. There will be growing pains. There will be mistakes. 

Here's to second chances 🍻

I guess that would be one good way to put it.  I've got a general lack of time to waste on things than I did back in that period, but also with a partially disabled wife and money being a long term issue I'm trying to resolve going into 2020,  some forms of reality put walls there.  I don't have the time to fuss over dumb crap like that before, and I don't have the money to fritter either so I'm very choosy, honestly cheap too, and unless I can trade, get rid of something or find it cheap to keep or flip to get things I need first, then want, it's not anything I want to get worked up over anymore.  It's why I cut back, dropped entire systems (or lines, I have no Sega anymore) and scaled other things while going HDMI and with kits.  I'd rather just dabble in the past between chit chat and memories and play when I can.

Right now despite finding it again early summer I'm contemplating ditching a PSP 3K setup I have and a PC Engine Core Grafx2 with a couple dozen titles from 2 years back.  I'm into less is more.

It is a new forum, a new day given it's weeks old.  It should be interesting to see how things turn out.  I for one don't care to dig into years ago on another site, as that's then and there, not here and now.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tanooki said:

philosoraptor: Bridges, I think they basically self immolated the entire town there.  Looking now I see bitching over multiple locations/sites, anyone who cared is fuming.  I've got more knowledge about those things I updated into and learned to fix with the soldering iron sure but I'd say my setup is more spartan.  A couple years back I picked up this cherry vintage sony wooden stereo rack with a tempered glass tinted front and I keep almost everything inside there that's vintage.  The games the big black shelf I could load up back in the day half of it has toys now as I got back into vintage toy/antique stuff being in KY again (hell I've got a 70 toy w/all accessories set of G1 Transformers on there.)  The HDMI move was the fact I wanted to bulletproof for the future as HDMI isn't going anywhere, even the updates to it still use the same jack so it'll stand for decades.  I prefer the sharp visuals I got used to playing on PCs so it just felt right.  That VB I got, same store as the Pokemon game, and I've had other crazy things sourced out of that store too but it goes through hot and cold times, right now, cold (lack of goods not bad prices.)  I basically thrift shop daily, keeps me able to enjoy anything anymore.

Ah! Yeah. Those stereo racks are really great for those kinds of things. They can really up the eye appeal of a setup. I purchased a bulky entertainment center meant for a CRT for $20 years ago, and it has similar shelving built into it. Speaking of which, I bought a Retron 5 for similar reasons. It's only a matter of time before my CRT goes out, and I don't think I'll replace it when it does. The visuals and the creature comforts of the Retron 5 can make it difficult to go back to playing some genres of games on original hardware. Being able to turn off the console, leave, and have it save where you were exactly when you boot it back up is a must now that it's harder to find several hours to dedicate to a gaming session.

I hear you on cutting down on the game collection and moving to something else. Those transformers toys are pure nostalgia. I'm glad you can display them proudly.

Kentucky sounds like Texas for game hunting: hot or cold. But it sounds like prices are better there. Most of the big cities are picked clean daily, so it's just showing up at the right time and hoping for a halfway decent price.

Lookin' forward to interacting with you on the forum! : )