IGNORED

New Home Page!

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

WOO!

As we go through updating the site to feel more like home, it made sense to create a new home page. This is the intro to who we are, what you can expect, and is an introduction to the four pillars of the community - Play, Collect, Create, and Buy/Sell. These are now represented by a team of characters beside the Sage, and we're really excited about them as we think they represent those pillars quite well!

image.png

Another step on making the house a home. 

Note: The forums are now at https://www.videogamesage.com/forums, so if you've bookmarked VGS, you'd want to update those bookmarks to that link if you don't want to view the home page every time. We do however have a new "Featured" section on the home page, so you can see the latest featured items on there!

If you run into any issues or have any feedback please feel free to let us know in this thread, or reach out directly to a member of the staff!

Huge thanks to the whole staff for their feedback and helping get this up, and of course to @CasualCart for the art, and @BortLicensePlate for handling both the coding on the new home page, and the design of the UI elements!

• Like 13
  • Wow! 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

My book mark is this: https://www.videogamesage.com/discover/33/.

Specifically this is my filter of all new content I've not read.  I tried adding "forum/" before "discover" and it does not work.  Is that likely to change, or is this old address future-proof?  Thanks @Gloves, @CasualCart and anyone else who helped create the new homepage!  It looks pretty sweet.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, RH said:

My book mark is this: https://www.videogamesage.com/discover/33/.

Specifically this is my filter of all new content I've not read.  I tried adding "forum/" before "discover" and it does not work.  Is that likely to change, or is this old address future-proof?  Thanks @Gloves, @CasualCart and anyone else who helped create the new homepage!  It looks pretty sweet.

"discover" is an "app" and so will remain at "/discover/<whatever>".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted

Looks super nice! Kind of reminds me of the NA days with the featured section. Awesome job guys, really love it! And @CasualCart absolutely kills it with the art, as always 😄 I think this will be a tad more inviting to new members. I also love that The Sage now kind of functions as a combination of the other four characters.

I would say my only real "complaint" (though it is a super minor one) is that dark mode doesn't appear to work on the homepage at the moment, but I'm sure that's something that could be worked out later on, and it's something that doesn't really bother me that much since it was literally just added. Either way, I really like it! Well done!

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Looks super nice! Kind of reminds me of the NA days with the featured section. Awesome job guys, really love it! And @CasualCart absolutely kills it with the art, as always 😄 I think this will be a tad more inviting to new members. I also love that The Sage now kind of functions as a combination of the other four characters.

I would say my only real "complaint" (though it is a super minor one) is that dark mode doesn't appear to work on the homepage at the moment, but I'm sure that's something that could be worked out later on, and it's something that doesn't really bother me that much since it was literally just added. Either way, I really like it! Well done!

Oh yeah, dark mode. >_>

• Haha 2

Events Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I am impressed with the graphics and design as well. Also very confused when I hit my bookmark.

Yeah, I first opened up VGS on mobile today and was like "Woooaaah, did they change stuff?"

Actually, that does bring up another point: If you look at the site on mobile horizontally (which is what I initially did when I first saw it) the "join the discussion" button kind of overlaps with the other stuff, but again it's not a big deal since it was just introduced, that's something that can be ironed out. Plus it looks fine vertically so it's whatever for now.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Yeah, I first opened up VGS on mobile today and was like "Woooaaah, did they change stuff?"

Actually, that does bring up another point: If you look at the site on mobile horizontally (which is what I initially did when I first saw it) the "join the discussion" button kind of overlaps with the other stuff, but again it's not a big deal since it was just introduced, that's something that can be ironed out. Plus it looks fine vertically so it's whatever for now.

So YOU'RE that one guy that looks at sites horizontally on mobile! GUYS I FOUND HIM, GET EM!

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 3

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

So YOU'RE that one guy that looks at sites horizontally on mobile! GUYS I FOUND HIM, GET EM!

Yeah, using a phone horizontally more closely emulates a PC monitor which is what I'm comfortable with, what's the big deal? 😅

Plus it's more comfortable for me to hold the phone that way since I've got tiny little baby hands.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I like to throw you webdev types off by spoofing my browser to read as Internet Explorer 7.

Edit: Also, I usually click the Sage to go to the front page of the forum. I keep getting thrown back to the landing page 🥺

Edited by ThePhleo

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

I like to throw you webdev types off by spoofing my browser to read as Internet Explorer 7.

Edit: Also, I usually click the Sage to go to the front page of the forum. I keep getting thrown back to the landing page 🥺

Usually the logo on a site goes to the home page, and that's the home page now. 😛

Frankly, I do the same. The choice is either "Update it to use the 'old' logic and point to the forum", or "Get used to the new way and leave as-is, and use the 'Browse' button for the forum landing page". I prefer the latter from a long-term standpoint as that is the typical website behavior. I'd not fight about it however if people wanted it the other way.

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Yeah, perhaps sometime in the future there could be an option to disable the homepage if someone wants, so the normal VGS link just redirects to the forums section or something. I dunno, just spitballing ideas.