IGNORED

Anyone know of a good place to find old Extron equipment, other than eBay?

RH

Ok, I'm picky and I get that. Last year I bought a Gcomp 8x2 and I'm not in love with it. Instead, I now want a pair of Extron switches.

Specifically, I'd like to find two Mav Series 84 switches with composite input and BNC audio inputs. I know these exist because I have found one, but it was a single and over priced.

I want two units because I have a ton of consoles (actually more than the Gcomp can take) and I like the idea of passing outputs from both units to the opposite unit. This will allow me to have the ability to share output to two TVs or turn it off and play two different systems on my two CRTs.

Finding two 16x8 could be nice too, then I can play any two systems of mine at once, but I'm guessing that's a pipe dream.

Anyway, other than eBay, does anyone know of online surplus shops or other types of stores that carry these? I'm really interested in the upgrade, I just can't exactly find what I want consistently at a price I'd like to pay.

EDIT

Here's an example of what I'm looking for. It's a bit pricey, IMHO, but I'd like a pair. Again, a 164 or 168 would be amazing, but I'm not sure those exist and I highly doubt I will find two.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-Mav-Series-Switcher-Working-100-240V-50-60Hz-RS232-RS422-Free-Ship-/303649839844?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Edited by RH

I bought mine from eBay, so I can't help you here.  I got lucky, and bought a really nice 16x8 unit including nearly all of the phoenix connectors for under $50.  

Still though, I will be following to see where this goes.  I'm a little curious why you would need two 16x8 units to play any two systems at once.  I can send any two systems to any of my two TVs at the same time with just one 16x8 unit.  I'm probably not fully following what you are trying to do.  

If you find a model, and depending on which model you get, I have a Photoshop template for making labels with images of game consoles on them if you need it.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I bought mine from eBay, so I can't help you here.  I got lucky, and bought a really nice 16x8 unit including nearly all of the phoenix connectors for under $50.  

Still though, I will be following to see where this goes.  I'm a little curious why you would need two 16x8 units to play any two systems at once.  I can send any two systems to any of my two TVs at the same time with just one 16x8 unit.  I'm probably not fully following what you are trying to do.  

If you find a model, and depending on which model you get, I have a Photoshop template for making labels with images of game consoles on them if you need it.

Well, I admit I've not found much details on these units, but if what you are telling me is I can hook up 16 consoles and play two different consoles on the same matrix, then that changes everything.

I assumed these units always outputted the same single channel, justup to 8 outputs at once.

Which model/series do you have? I'd hateto buy a single 168 and it be an older or simpler model without that feature.

Here are a few more pictures.  There are several numbers on the back.  I'm not sure which one is the model number, but I think it's XPT300 168HVA.  I know it has 16 inputs x 8 outputs.  Remember that the front can be deceiving.  The front of my model has buttons for 16 outputs, but that was done as a cost saving measure (the front plate could be shared between 16x8 and 16x16).  Buttons 9 through 16 do nothing on my model.  Make sure you see the connectors on the back before you buy anything to know for sure what you are buying.  

To answer your other question, yes you can run multiple inputs into separate outputs at the same time, which is why they are referred to as matrix switchers.  I only use two outputs:  one to my CRT, and one to my HD TV.  However, I can run two different consoles to those TVs at the same time.  

Also, make sure you understand how you will be hooking up audio and video to these types of switchers.  The video is pretty straight forward.  You will just need some BNC to RCA adapters.  However, the audio is much trickier.  I can go into that in more detail if you need, but I don't have time for that at the moment.  

ttige6lv3ev3f5v6g.jpg

hg1ndl9nbnna5b16g.jpg

bg7ga5cqhdcxh7c6g.jpg

• Thanks 1