IGNORED

A different approach to ranking gaming consoles

fcgamer

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Imagine liking 400 NES games and Gradius isn't one of them 

Dave I'm starting to think you're just really bad at this whole video games thing 🤣

Didn't grow up with it, not a genre that I particularly enjoy.

Most consoles have maximum of 10-25% of games worth playing, so I don't think it's good argument to rate a console for its good to bad games ratio. More games released means a more successful console and a more successful console can carry its dirt with the gems just fine. Look at any PlayStation, Wii, DS and 3DS for example, very successful consoles with amazing amount of shovelware. I wouldn't rate any of them based on the crap they got but the gems they got. Anyway you can rate a console 1/10 for it having a bad name for all I care, they're just internet polls. No one can be a paragon of objectivity when it comes to the actual games on a console; maybe you don't like strategy games, maybe you don't like platforming games, maybe you don't like pixel graphic games - rating media is an extension of taste and we all have differing one.

• Like 3

Good for you in finding the best way to rate consoles and their libraries in a way that makes you feel accomplished. Trying to change the way people think based on an arbitrary tier-ing system you've come up with aint it. Reading through this thread seems like you literally just created it to tell people how they are wrong and your idea is right.

Unless I've missed a joke somewhere. lmao

Edited by Wasbi

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

7/10?  Go for it.  6/10?  Sure, James did it and he's a Genny fanboy.  1/10?  You're trolling.

Mighta been trolling a little myself with that 6. 😏  And to be honest, I'm probably gonna give the Genesis a 6 as well.  Really, I play more Super than Genny these days but it's still pretty rare. 

2 hours ago, Wasbi said:

Good for you in finding the best way to rate consoles and their libraries in a way that makes you feel accomplished. Trying to change the way people think based on an arbitrary tier-ing system you've come up with aint it. Reading through this thread seems like you literally just created it to tell people how they are wrong and your idea is right.

Unless I've missed a joke somewhere. lmao

Someone get this man a cookie! Such insights, oh the insights.

Editorials Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, OptOut said:

😢

I'm double silly? That's low dude, I have feelings you know! 😭

Sorry 😪

The best thing to do in response to that hurt is to create a thread where you carefully explain to all of us about how that 1/10 score for the PS1 was the correct call and everyone else must be dead wrong. 

After all, it seems to going super well for Dave here 😅

• Haha 2

I'm sorry but either there were 300 amazing Famicom-exclusive games, or you've got rose-tinted eyeballs. I made a list of "must-play" NES titles for my friend when I gave him my spare Everdrive and I got to ~85 games, including homebrew which I had the roms for. There are arguably a handful of other "good, but not must play" games I could add to that list, but definitely not 300. I think you'll find if you actually start to compile that list you'll quickly realize it was 100 or 200 and you wildly overestimated. Either that or you have very, very low expectations.

I'd be willing to bet I could come up with 400 trash-tier games faster than you could come up with 400 top-tier games.

6 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I'm sorry but either there were 300 amazing Famicom-exclusive games, or you've got rose-tinted eyeballs. I made a list of "must-play" NES titles for my friend when I gave him my spare Everdrive and I got to ~85 games, including homebrew which I had the roms for. There are arguably a handful of other "good, but not must play" games I could add to that list, but definitely not 300. I think you'll find if you actually start to compile that list you'll quickly realize it was 100 or 200 and you wildly overestimated. Either that or you have very, very low expectations.

I'd be willing to bet I could come up with 400 trash-tier games faster than you could come up with 400 top-tier games.

Not very likely. 

I reckon those who prefer SNES to NES grew up on the latter, and can't adjust properly to the former.

I'll take you up on the challenge and make a list.

• Like 1

I've never seen a ranking of any kind that is based on the worst things about it. Every console has a ton of crap games. When I rank something objectively I look at the best of what it offers and see how it compares to the best of other similar things. With the logic of basing a consoles worth on the average quality of all games in it's library, what if a console came out and released only 3 stellar games and that was it's whole library? Is it a 10/10 simply because it's games are 100% good since there are only 3 of them total? If you want to take an average objectively to determine a consoles rank, then for all we know, Virtual Boy is the king console. The only time the bad games would ever affect the good ones is if you force yourself to play every game in a library, which let's be honest who does that? (No offense Reed) but typically no one judges any console based on every single game in the library. A games library also is far from the only way to judge a console. When I rate a console it's more than just a knee jerk reaction. Yes a large part of it is nostalgia but there are a lot of things to consider when judging. And besides this is all for fun. It's almost impossible to purely objectively rate any console. So yea when I rated SNES I gave it a 10/10. Why? Because it offers one of the most diverse and timeless libraries in the industry. I look at my top 50 games for it and no other console's top 50 matches it for me. Again that's just me. Why would I rate SNES based on the worst games in the library? If that were the benchmark then every console would be a 1/10.

6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

That's just how it is for me, being serious here

That's not serious at all, though.

If you can truly find 400 good games on Famicom, by the same metric you'd have much more than 50 on SFC. It's mostly just a question of actually playing them, rather than forming a baseless preconception and sticking with it no matter what.

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Also what is "worth playing" is so subjective. We all have those games that we love and that most people think are crap, and vice versa.

Still, though. There's "subjective", and then there's downright bonkers.

Subjectively, I absolutely prefer the NES to the SNES. There's a fantastic charm about that whole era of games that I also tried to cover in the discussion thread about that platform. I can easily form a list of 300 games worth looking into at least (maybe 400 too, but that's stretching it now), and I'm working on a top list of games of my own.

But saying the SNES doesn't come close in any way is crazy. With a more objective mindset, I could probably construct a much bigger list for the SNES, of games that would be easier to recommend to more people, because they rely on less patience for certain jank. But even just looking at the top 100 games, there are so many fantastic classic titles on the system, trying to ignore that is just plain crazy. There's no way you could enjoy a majority of the best titles on the NES, and not find the exact same enjoyment in SNES equivalents.

Edited by Sumez

10 minutes ago, Sumez said:

That's not serious at all, though.

If you can truly find 400 good games on Famicom, by the same metric you'd have much more than 50 on SFC. It's mostly just a question of actually playing them, rather than forming a baseless preconception and sticking with it no matter what.

Nope, not at all, as it's a matter of taste.

I much prefer the music coming out of the NES than that on the snes, much prefer the simpler, yet often beautiful art style. And the list goes on.

It's why I prefer the original Mario games over the ones on the all stars compilation, the same reason I prefer the nes mega man games to the mega drive 16 bit offering.

14 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Anyone interested in buying these? Let's start the bidding

IMG20210510064851.jpg

If you're serious and not just trolling the disagreement here, depending how you care to price the stuff to relieve your burden I see a few I used to own before my sad losses ages ago I'd grab again.  I just don't now because ebay can suck it and going through Japan direct with their mail being dickheads removes any benefit when it costs me like $40 to ship a small box under a pound or two tops.

Look no offense intended here my friend, but the only thing here missing unless I missed it in this thread and the other where this got mislead into discussion -- it's starting to sound like you're part of the salty 16bit console wars at their peak and you chose the black/blue army over the gray and purple... Go Sega right?!

What I'm seeing thrown around here with all due respect is nothing but vapor.  I'm having flashbacks of my brother around 1990-92 being a complete douchy troll (he's younger) going off on how terrible the NES and then SNES in particular was.  The games weren't good, it didn't look nice, it sounded meh, the gameplay was garbage, the controller was confusing (ooh scary 2 top buttons!)  Anything that can be fantasized to bluntly put shit all over the SNES just so you can feel better about your limited (as a kid) financial choice to back one horse, and you're slowly realizing you backed the wrong one, or just feel a need to die on a cross on a hill to defend the other either way.

Just like that kid, anyone who responds, adult or other kid, it has the classic nuh-uh response with the mental image of some kid with fingers in the ears going LALALALALA can't hear you.  Then when showed something, slamming those eyes shut so hard you look like Brock from the pokemon anime.  ( --  -- )

The very arguments you're using can be applied to whatever your platform of choice was all too easy.  Given the history from that era of the 80s and 90s (8 to 32/64bit stuff) every main line system should be a 1/10 piece of crap.  Well the PS1 may have a lot of games, but gee, because it's into the 1000s and maybe 10% of them are good --- due to the other 1000+ titles it's a 1/10 piece of crap.  Hey that Genesis, it has a larger library than Nintendo, but because it has less colors and audio going for it, it's a 1/10 turd despite the releases.  See a pattern here?

Just admit as much, it's not a 1/10 system, but YOU personally for whatever reason you care to justify, entirely opinion based, sucks.  Given the original intent of that CDi where this dribbled into, and the SNES console rating thread goes... the valuation was based on the whole, the hardware, the software, all of it...  You can't justify a 10 sure, but you also couldn't justify a 1 either being in the slightest bit fair.

Edited by Tanooki

15 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Anyone interested in buying these? Let's start the bidding

IMG20210510064851.jpg

Well, since the console is a 1/10, you're going to have to pay me to take them off your hands.

I expect the games and payment ($300 should do it) shortly.

Thank you!

• Haha 1