IGNORED

If everything became unobtainable overnight, what would you regret not having in your collection?

On 5/7/2021 at 10:16 PM, G-type said:

In this scenario, would every rare and common game become equally valuable? If everything is equally unobtainable then my decision would become more about the games that are meaningful or desirable on the basis of their quality vs their value and rarity.

The games I'm missing that I would still might like to have one day include: River Raid II, Frogger II Q*berts Qubes, Bart Simpson vs the Space Mutants, The Immortal

I guess my line of thinking was the former.

For me, I’d be a lot more upset if everything became too expensive and in the end I wound up with a Sculptor’s Cut instead of a nice CIB of Super Mario 64. Thinking like that has helped me make purchasing decisions easier.

(I guess in this scenario I could likely trade or sell Sculptor’s Cut, but oh well)

5 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I'm with you on this.

Things started drying up here around 2016, and in the last year or so, all the fruit remaining basically gets snapped up by greedy resellers, which essentially made me stop caring.

I've got more games than I'll ever have a chance to properly play, no point in crying over the ones I don't have yet.

I'm with you two too, if it all become unobtainium level pricing I really in the end, just wouldn't care, and move along.  There's plenty, and there are flash kits, between those or even just emulators -- screw the crooks.  It would take a huge mental burden off caring about the stuff and leave more time for playing the things, or finding something else to do.  If the tax thing wasn't going to shit next year it would inspire me to take a week off work, photograph and process everything, and slam it up on ebay well under value with NO bin and NO best offer and let the predators go stupid slitting each others throats to pay for it.  I'd see it as a win win all around.

• Like 3

I recently gave up on obtaining my holy grail, Sqoon CIB. Instead I found a nice cart and manual and purchased a bit box with label. I’m actually very happy and it’s way less stressful knowing I saved hundreds of dollars on a likely beat-up cardboard box.

full disclosure... I still love my CIBs but I have to admit that I also love the ease of opening up a UGC or BitBox and just being able to quickly and safely admire the cart or flip through the manual without worrying about damaging the precious box tabs. It’s a satisfying compromise.

Edited by portabello
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, portabello said:

I recently gave up on obtaining my holy grail, Sqoon CIB. Instead I found a nice cart and manual and purchased a bit box with label. I’m actually very happy and it’s way less stressful knowing I saved hundreds of dollars on a likely beat-up cardboard box.

full disclosure... I still love my CIBs but I have to admit that I also love the ease of opening up a UGC or BitBox and just being able to quickly and safely admire the cart or flip through the manual without worrying about damaging the precious box tabs. It’s a satisfying compromise.

My OCD won’t let give up on NES CIBs yet but it was such a burden lifted when I decided I was doing cart only on Game Boy.

1 hour ago, portabello said:

Preach!  I gave up on ever getting an Earthbound box/tray back in my hands ever again.  This is going back at least 5 years plus.  Even then buying the stupid box would have cost like $300-400 alone, and it's worse since.  I just felt it would be a deranged waste of money on basically old artsy pressed paper on cardboard which could have bought a LOT of actual games, vintage toys, antiques, etc I was/am into.

• Haha 1

If games became unobtanium, my 'missed games' regrets would be Mega Man V (Game Boy) and Little Samson.

I just can't play Mega Man games emulated or ported, I can feel the difference in control latency instantly and MMV on the GB is the one I'm missing that I really want to play/experience. I want to leaf through the manual, be able to hold the box...playing on an Everdrive just won't cut it for me.

As for LS, I just tried the game for the first time last year and it's awesome! This is a game I'd really like to have, play, and beat, so it'd be a shame not to be able to get a CIB copy; I wish I would have tried it sooner...I still see the copy at PRGE2019 in my mind whenever I think about my 'to get' list.

1 hour ago, Renmauzo said:

I still see the copy at PRGE2019 in my mind whenever I think about my 'to get' list.

Ha, that's the last con I was at before the world ended, so I constantly think about other things I could've bought while there. I was picking and choosing near mint $30 Game Boy and VB games like a princess instead of just buying whole lots.

20 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Regrettable misses would be vast swathes of the SNES, and Game Boy library.

Id also regret not getting a first run Magnavox Odyssey set, all Miracle Piano variants, and a couple popular nes games I still don’t have.

Everything there is to collect or document, and non-Nintendo Miracle Piano variants are on your list? Not some kind of NES butterfly girls game or scary blue NES cart that's not supposed to be blue?

1 minute ago, DefaultGen said:

Everything there is to collect or document, and non-Nintendo Miracle Piano variants are on your list? Not some kind of NES butterfly girls game or scary blue NES cart that's not supposed to be blue?

I like to keep my competition on their toes by revealing stuff past the horizon.

The 60ish Dreamcast CIBs I'm missing and the missing boxes/manuals for my Mega Man CIB set.  Maybe the TG-16/CD games im missing but I've been priced out of some of those for a while now so I've accepted thatvinprobably wont finish that set. 

There are some random RPGs, shooters, and miscellaneous games too but most of the ones on my mental list tripled in price since easter.  

this stupid dumbass plushie. I had a ton of chances to buy it for $70 when it first came out. my girlfriend even tried to buy it for me for Christmas and tried 3 different sellers but they all canceled the sale for unknown reasons!! 

now the damn thing is super rare and the ones that are listed are hundreds and hundreds of dollars. 

this plush will haunt me forever. 

0b18bc1a8995e79c14090c6edcbe9f6a.thumb.jpg.8efa63f417bef529089efeeb0d1f602b.jpg

The real truth is, being a fairly longtime collector, I have my eye on too many grail pieces that are worth “a lot”. So if I was to pick one out of the many potential rare unobtainables, then I wouldn’t know where to start! 🤪

On the topic of unobtainable things, anyone feel like collecting one thing now means probably shutting yourself off to other things in the future? My old plans would be like, oh after I get my Saturn wants, I'll do SNES, then 32X sometime in the future. Now my thoughts are more along the lines of, OK it will probably take my the rest of the year to get my Saturn wants, how many SNES wants does that mean I give up and does that mean I'm realistically never buying the 32X games? Prioritizing feels real important in this era.

• Like 1

^^ great point.

On the original question, immediately to mind the boxes/manuals/etc for Zelda 1 and 2 nes.

I don't know why I've never purchased them, I suppose I was fine with cart only. I feel like they're going up and I don't know how much I can justify spending too much for the cardboard even though Zelda has always been an important series to me.

That's a difficult question to answer, but I would have to say the following games would probably be the ones I'd have the most regret over not getting, a couple of these are already out of my price range though. Some strange desired titles, I know.

Alien Infestation on DS (Oh, Wayforward, I don't think that I've ever hated one of your games.)
Baldur's Gate on GBA (Have good childhood memories from playing this on an emulator)
Calling on Wii (Watched a playthrough, love what I saw.)
Ultimate Muscle on Gamecube (Loved this show as a kid. Lol) 
Godzilla on Ps4 (Godzilla is my childhood!)
Deadly Premonition on Ps3 (Twin Peaks, need I say more?)
Finny the Fish on Ps2 (It's just weird, but so good.)
Morrowind on Xbox (It's the best Elder Scrolls game between it, Oblivion and Skyrim. It can't even be considered a competition.)

I'm not sure how I'd answer this question, because anything I get that feeling for, I just buy immediately.

There are for sure a few games I'd still love to have and would regret not getting given the choice - but if I haven't already bought a game that I feel that way about, the only explanation is that it's already too expensive for me. Stuff like Ibara Kuro, Twinkle Tale, Little Ralph, or Metal Warriors.

There are a few games that are still new enough that I'm expecting them to drop in price before I "invest". I'd be sad to miss out on those, but I'm not sure it really fits into the scenario stated here.

Edited by Sumez