IGNORED

If everything became unobtainable overnight, what would you regret not having in your collection?

Hypothetical scenario: the market explodes and everything becomes too expensive for you to obtain. Your collection as it stands now is set.

What would you regret not getting sooner?

I asked myself this question and it really helped prioritize my buying. So below are two of my most recent pickups, as a result of this line of thinking:

1. Puyo Puyo 2 on Mega Drive. I downloaded the arcade version on Switch in the early days of the pandemic, and it became one of my favorites during that time. While most of us don’t want to be reminded of the pandemic, it’s sort of a “feel good” thing for me because it was a comforting way to pass time during lockdown. The MD version is pretty close to the arcade.

2. Super Mario 64. Do I really need to explain this one? It’s one of my favorite games of all time, one of the first I ever played, and one I could play forever. I’ve always had a cartridge of it but I decided I needed to grab a CIB before prices rise any higher. Now I can finally put a proper CIB version of one of my favorite games on my shelf.

CF835AF5-73EC-48FF-9250-426ED16D4A3C.jpeg

• Like 2

Interestingly i've guided my purchasing a lot in the past using this scenario, sort of a "if I can't finish I at least want these'. Largely I have already hit that mark though, I'd say James Pond on Game Gear and Mole Mania on GB stick out as games i'd be regretful not to have gotten since I've had em on the list so long.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

You can't trick me into revealing what I'm targeting, I've been on the FOMO train for 2 years now assuming any day now everything I want will become unobtainable!

Is that really all stuff you REALLY want though? Stuff you want to own personally and not just for collectors sake? I think that's more or less the issue here. Like I love Mario but I own all the games already, just lack of time, money, etc might stop you from getting stuff you're personally attached to as soon as you'd like.

I'm grateful I got most of my 'normal' stuff long ago before the covid thing brought in all the casuals with loose pocket books though.

Hypothetical?  My man that boat has already sailed.  There’s plenty of things I sat on for too long waiting for the Perfect deal. Now they are going for annoyingly high prices.  Not unobtainable but it’s annoying that I’m gonna have to sell something to make it happen.  I haven’t hunted rares no one knows about in a while so that’s not a problem.  All dank here these days.
Castlevania, Zelda II, Kung Fu, Valkyrie Profile, case and manual for my Klonoa (saw the damn thing for $50 once.). If only I wasn’t such a coward.
friggin Dragon Warrior III.  Oh I could kick myself for that one.  

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Honestly, I'd be kind of happy about it. I like collecting as a whole, but I'm a big fan of change and being forced out of my comfort zone and exploring some new hobbies would be fun. If emulation also disappeared, I'd probably want to get into some kind of game exchange program here to play old stuff, but that would be fun in its own way

• Like 5

1 hour ago, goldenpp72 said:

Is that really all stuff you REALLY want though? Stuff you want to own personally and not just for collectors sake? I think that's more or less the issue here. Like I love Mario but I own all the games already, just lack of time, money, etc might stop you from getting stuff you're personally attached to as soon as you'd like.

I'm grateful I got most of my 'normal' stuff long ago before the covid thing brought in all the casuals with loose pocket books though.

Yeah, I’m fomoing like Japanese computer games and Apple II stuff, not getting caught up in nonsense black box and Pokemon hype. It’s not that I think they’ll increase in value anytime soon, but if they ever do I’ll always have the “I wanted that when it cost nothing!” feeling looming over me.

Realistically I have more than I could ever want. I could spend the rest of my life cleaning, organizing, catalogging, and playing. 

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 4

The strangeness of it all in the end, things I've pointed out even as far back as my run on N64 still stand, just a lot shorter of a list so that ship sailed LONG ago.  I already call it offensively unaffordable at this rate with a couple of SNES items - Aerofighters and the box/tray for Earthbound.  I can't stomach it, so it fits.  I'm more likely to drop the money on Sengoku2 and 3 for NeoGeo MVS before I'd pop for that junk.  Anything else, at this rate, all my past generations systems I can't think of a solitary game I'd want still as I already have more than I can deal with in mostly just memories based keepers from over the decades.

I didn't see you discount flash kits, got any of those I'd ever want short of the DS/3DS, so that's also a factor to as I can play whatever still. 😄

In this scenario, would every rare and common game become equally valuable? If everything is equally unobtainable then my decision would become more about the games that are meaningful or desirable on the basis of their quality vs their value and rarity.

The games I'm missing that I would still might like to have one day include: River Raid II, Frogger II Q*berts Qubes, Bart Simpson vs the Space Mutants, The Immortal

• Like 3

I mean, I'm like 2 games away from Japanese N64 fullset, so it would be a REAL pisser if I couldn't finish that off, lol!

Other than that, I'm gonna give the Japanese Super 32x library another look, and I guess there are still tons of XBOX and 360 games I still want to play... Plenty of MD and SFC stuff probably too, as well as FC and NES

Man, yeah I'm nowhere NEAR done, worst topic EVER lol! 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not that it matters as there might be more. But here is my list none the less:

1) BIOHAZARD RE: 3 (Z version) (first print variant) (PS4)
This is first because I am finding it to be an impossible find for some reason. 😩

2) BIOHAZARD: Origins Collection (Xbox One)
This is listed as my second because I want to add this to the "anniversary" portion of my collection.

3) BIOHAZARD 7: resident evil (Grotesque Ver.) (first print variant) (PS4)
Another title that I regret not getting when it was easy to find on eBay. 😑

Honorable mention: Rumble Roses Double X (Xbox 360)
It's a guilty pleasure that I also found to be one of Konami's otherwise overlooked gems. 😁

Edited by FenrirZero

6 hours ago, final fight cd said:

Did you own a grey for a short period?

Yeah. The guy I bought it from 10 years ago also had a gold cart for sale at the same time, but he wanted almost three times as much for it, so I bought the gray one. I would be sitting on a fortune if I had held onto the gray cart, but I can only imagine what that gold one would bring now.

If everything became unobtainable overnight, I think the feeing would be more relief rather than regret. Instead of regretting over something I will never end up getting, I would use that time to cuddle up with all the good stuff I currently own; touch them, sniff them and all the things collectors do with their personal collection.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GPX said:

If everything became unobtainable overnight, I think the feeing would be more relief rather than regret. Instead of regretting over something I will never end up getting, I would use that time to cuddle up with all the good stuff I currently own; touch them, sniff them and all the things collectors do with their personal collection.

I'm with you on this.

Things started drying up here around 2016, and in the last year or so, all the fruit remaining basically gets snapped up by greedy resellers, which essentially made me stop caring.

I've got more games than I'll ever have a chance to properly play, no point in crying over the ones I don't have yet.

• Like 5