IGNORED

Chinese Rocket Debris to collide with Earth in a few days

phart010

Apparently China launched a massive rocket into space a week or so ago. The first stage of the rocket was so massive that it is not expected to burn up in the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, planning was not done to ensure an orderly landing of the first stage. So we don’t know where or when it will collide with the earth. 

What we do know is that it should be landing sometime between the end of this week and mid next week. And it won’t be landing in Canada.

Edited by phart010

Bonus prayer points if it lands on president pooh bear.  Sad the word still won't take them to task for all their crap, maybe if that drops on a major population area they will which is horrible even saying that but something has to give.

• Like 1

Ah yes, another reminder of living in the era of careless and carefree use of near-Earth space.

Right up there with a few years back when they decided to generate a bunch of low-orbit space debris for no useful reason.

And in terms of long-term impact, only slightly ahead of Starlink interfering with earth-based telescopes. 😛

I hope it lands in the ocean. I understand the sentiment in wanting retribution for the carelessness, but realistically if it did land in China it would probably end up crushing some average citizens just minding their own business. Hard to imagine it actually hitting the people who were responsible for the poor planning.

14 minutes ago, phart010 said:

So did it crash already? I heard an unconfirmed report that it crash in the Indian Ocean 

Snore, BORING!

Probably just took out a couple bottlenose dolphins... Where's the catastrophic destruction and human suffering we were promised?!

Disappointed. 2/10

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, OptOut said:

Snore, BORING!

Probably just took out a couple bottlenose dolphins... Where's the catastrophic destruction and human suffering we were promised?!

Disappointed. 2/10

Hey look on the bright side.

There’s still tons of other man made space debris waiting to obliterate some jungle or desert within our lifetime.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OptOut said:

Snore, BORING!

Disappointed. 2/10

Totally legit footage from a remote island in the Indian Ocean.

tumblr_mfhm6w1zcF1r9eqm7o8_250.gif

Edited by RH
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Strange said:

I think SpaceX is a waste of money and resources

Oh I just did the laugh face, but let's be serious and I expect it as such.  Why?  What has that company done that qualifies as a total waste of basically existing given you think they're just frittering cash and resources.

You do know what the space program on the whole has brought the world since the 60s right?  Imagine what SpaceX taking it that next step will do with cheap affordable flights into space compared to the bloated government only programs.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 9:03 AM, Tanooki said:

Oh I just did the laugh face, but let's be serious and I expect it as such.  Why?  What has that company done that qualifies as a total waste of basically existing given you think they're just frittering cash and resources.

You do know what the space program on the whole has brought the world since the 60s right?  Imagine what SpaceX taking it that next step will do with cheap affordable flights into space compared to the bloated government only programs.

I don’t think we see Mars travel in our lifetime. Take Antarctica for example - it’s closer, warmer, and we can already breathe there. But we haven’t even cracked that yet. Also given Musk’s personality, I believe it to be performative fluff to highlight his own name rather than a genuine care for the human race.

That money can be used to make the planet we do have better.

1 hour ago, Strange said:

I don’t think we see Mars travel in our lifetime. Take Antarctica for example - it’s closer, warmer, and we can already breathe there. But we haven’t even cracked that yet. Also given Musk’s personality, I believe it to be performative fluff to highlight his own name rather than a genuine care for the human race.

That money can be used to make the planet we do have better.

There are many research bases in Antarctica. We have cracked it already. The reason we only have a limited number of research bases there is because that’s all that is allowed due to international treaties. Nobody is allowed to colonize, mine, fish, hunt, develop, or do pretty much anything there other than non-invasive scientific research.

57 minutes ago, phart010 said:

There are many research bases in Antarctica. We have cracked it already. The reason we only have a limited number of research bases there is because that’s all that is allowed due to international treaties. Nobody is allowed to colonize, mine, fish, hunt, develop, or do pretty much anything there other than non-invasive scientific research.

Yet it still isn’t optimal for long term human settlement regardless. And yet, still more promising than Mars.

I just think it’s performative on Musk’s part. Any amount of research, even small, that we put into making our own planet better is already worth more than SpaceX.

Edited by Strange
  • Eyeroll 3

40 minutes ago, Strange said:

Yet it still isn’t optimal for long term human settlement regardless. And yet, still more promising than Mars.

I just think it’s performative on Musk’s part. Any amount of research, even small, that we put into making our own planet better is already worth more than SpaceX.

I don't believe that long-term habitation and colonisation of Mars is particularly viable, or even desirable. Full scale colonisation, certainly, is completely out of the question. However, scientific outposts, autonomous industrial complexes, and space oriented activities on the surface of Mars, I am absolutely in favour of.

I also support Space X 100 percent in there goal of cheap, renewable, largescale entry into orbit and the wider solar system. I DO want to see scientific and industrial occupation of the moon, Mars and other areas of the solar system, I believe the resources and knowledge we can gain from the full-scale industrial exploitation of space will lead to a vast increase in the wealth of the planet and lead to technological advances and scientific discoveries that will benefit the whole of society.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Strange said:

The relative isolation and harsh weather conditions would make Antarctica the ideal candidate as a site for training and simulation.

You could practice seeing how long survival is viable, without actual life-ending consequences if the mission failed. You could attempt to create a vegetable farm in a totally synthetic environment (only ignoring the fact that Antarctica has Earth’s atmospheric gasses).

Who knows, maybe they are already doing these simulation exercises, but I am not aware of anything large scale enough that would indicate serious preparation for large scale Mars colonization. 

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, OptOut said:

I also support Space X 100 percent in there goal of cheap, renewable, largescale entry into orbit and the wider solar system. I DO want to see scientific and industrial occupation of the moon, Mars and other areas of the solar system, I believe the resources and knowledge we can gain from the full-scale industrial exploitation of space will lead to a vast increase in the wealth of the planet and lead to technological advances and scientific discoveries that will benefit the whole of society.

I see what you’re saying but do you 1. Believe this to be achievable soon and 2. Think it takes priority over good stewardship of where we live now? I know it doesn’t necessarily have to be one or the other, but if I have the resources Musk has, I know where I would be investing.

Yes I do believe it will be achieveable soon, soon though depends on your perspective and impatience.  Is your soon in the 2020s entirely?  Or would a 20-25 year plan be more realistic?  I would think in a quarter century we could have some level of support system on both mars and definitely the moon (we'd be on this one for awhile now had corrupt twits in congress not screwed stuff up 40 years ago.)  And why does it have to be a black and white good stewardship of this world over elsewhere?  This isn't some if then or else formula here.  They're a private company using private resources, sure like many they do get some gov't contracts and kickbacks, but they're not like well the floundering of NASA.  Just because YOU would put your resources elsewhere doesn't make Musk wrong or a bad person not to do exactly the same.  And just because SpaceX does what it does, does this also negate his other companies good work?  I mean hell Tesla is a environmentalists love letter dumping fossil fuels, yet he gets crapped on for not caring about 'home.'  Right...  He invests both on and off world, and there's zero harm in that at all.  And let's be honest, it could happen in 10  years or 100 + but some screwed up rock will probably screw most of humanity and earth surface yet again anyway (or maybe a super volcano), so why not have another place to be on so the species isn't wiped out?  That would definitely fall under good stewardship of not just this world, but the continuation of what's on it in a worst case scenario.

• Like 1