IGNORED

Nintendo Switch Sales

zeppelin03

I just saw an article that the Switch has reached 41 million units sold as if this quarter end.  Apparently it might outsell the Super Nintendo by the end of the next quarter.  It's just crazy how well this system is doing.  It's a few years old and quite a bit weaker than the competitors but it's sales just keep improving. I wonder how many more consoles it will outsell.  Will it reach the level of the PS4/PS2? 

All I know is the last few years have been a blast after returning to Nintendo during the Wii U years.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

I just saw an article that the Switch has reached 41 million units sold as if this quarter end.  Apparently it might outsell the Super Nintendo by the end of the next quarter.  It's just crazy how well this system is doing.  It's a few years old and quite a bit weaker than the competitors but it's sales just keep improving. I wonder how many more consoles it will outsell.  Will it reach the level of the PS4/PS2? 

All I know is the last few years have been a blast after returning to Nintendo during the Wii U years.

Of course it will.  It combined the handheld sales market into the console sales market.  Comparing it to SNES is fair, but comparing it to SNES + Gameboy may make more sense.  Or Wii U (even though it was pitiful) + 3DS, or Wii + DS.  It's really combining two markets into one.

Honestly I'm surprised the PS4 is that high in sales. I mean I have one and I like the library a lot, but it never seemed like an "essential" system. PS2 was a DVD player and Gameboy/Wii was a cultural phenomenon... but PS4 just felt like another game console to me. Maybe just because the XBone and Wii U were very unpopular that more people picked that one up? I mean everyone I know has/had a Wii, even people that aren't gamers... how did PS4 surpass that in sales?

I think Switch could hit 100 million by the end of its life. Solid library, unique concept, popular in Japan and the west, and I'm sure we'll be getting some revisions that will result in multiple Switch purchases for  some consumers. I don't think it will beat PS2 though, just because so many people bought it because it was cheaper than a lot of DVD players for awhile.

14 minutes ago, ZBomber said:

Honestly I'm surprised the PS4 is that high in sales. I mean I have one and I like the library a lot, but it never seemed like an "essential" system. PS2 was a DVD player and Gameboy/Wii was a cultural phenomenon... but PS4 just felt like another game console to me. Maybe just because the XBone and Wii U were very unpopular that more people picked that one up? I mean everyone I know has/had a Wii, even people that aren't gamers... how did PS4 surpass that in sales?

I think Switch could hit 100 million by the end of its life. Solid library, unique concept, popular in Japan and the west, and I'm sure we'll be getting some revisions that will result in multiple Switch purchases for  some consumers. I don't think it will beat PS2 though, just because so many people bought it because it was cheaper than a lot of DVD players for awhile.

I think it's more a matter of Xbox taking a few years to rebuild goodwill. The PS4 is a good console but I wouldn't consider it innovative in any way.  Just the next gen bump.  I'm honestly interested to see if Sony gets overly confident and does something to kill their momentum going into next gen.

The Wii U+3ds comparison is fair. I think this thing is going to sell big.

Yeah, I can also easily see Switch hitting the 100 million mark at this point, it's just so versatile and the games library is possibly the best Nintendo have ever had. Great indy and 3rd party support too, just ticks all the boxes this time round!

13 hours ago, jonebone said:

Of course it will.  It combined the handheld sales market into the console sales market.

Sure, I agree with you to a point. But that doesn't mean it should do double the numbers. Think about it, how many people owned a Wii AND a DS... like pretty much everyone, right? That's two sales right there, whereas Switch you only have ONE sale and it covers both handheld and console. 

So covering two markets consolidates the sales figures, it doesn't actually double them. Having said that, I can certainly imagine multiple Switch households, what with kids having their own ones each, certainly the portable Switch lite model. So it may end up doing DS numbers rather than Wii numbers, but I doubt it will do DS + Wii numbers unless shit goes absolutely bananas!

On 11/1/2019 at 9:12 AM, ZBomber said:

The PS2 was a huge draw at the time being a great DVD player (Xbox made you buy the remote/dongle to access the feature), and PS3 was one of the best options for Blu Ray playback. What do you think the PS4's alternate draw was?

8 minutes ago, Yelir said:

The PS2 was a huge draw at the time being a great DVD player (Xbox made you buy the remote/dongle to access the feature), and PS3 was one of the best options for Blu Ray playback. What do you think the PS4's alternate draw was?

ps4's draw was being free of microsoft's bullshit. kinects nobody wanted, threats of blocking used game sales, etc. personally i hate xbox controllers for layout and the fact they don't have rechargeable batteries by default.

The switch seems to be getting everything on it so I could definitely see it hitting that milestone. I have over 50 games for it and can't believe the variety of games for this system along with the ability to play on either the TV with a pro controller to playing in hand held in the car. It's just so convenient.

That's the thing, Nintendo has lacked for quality+diversity in games from outside their own direct control since the first 1/2  or so of the Gamecube era when companies put games on a Nintendo system that wasn't just a handheld device as Gameboy and DS lines were hardly ever lacking.

Nintendo clearly got the right idea after the WiiU got what it had coming to it, that doing console alone until their still set philosophy of squeezing more out of something that isn't fresh and new wasn't going to keep them in business.  It works though great for handheld because people don't expect as high a bar out of handheld devices which is what primarily the Switch is.  Despite the fact they used a few years old TegraX1 tech here, they got smart in customizing it and allowing for the device to handle much of the modern game development engines with scaled back model sizes being the biggest hit and it worked.  Nintendo at a consistent rate getting things like Diablo, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Civilization, Doom(gba aside), and the non-indie list goes on was basically unheard of in a very very long time.  It's a great device and they worked to their strengths I think better than anyone rationally imagined they would.

Given their typical habits I'd be downright stunned if Christmas 2020 didn't have a TegraX2 or something similar Tegra Switch PRO/2 model out so the can still keep that parity of custom port potential with the new generation of systems while still (like all their past handhelds) letting the old games work too perhaps even hybridizing as GBC did some releases that won't need that added oomph to keep more people happy too.  They're in a great space because the price isn't offensive and it works, and has worked since they caught on they can beef things up 2-4x in potential as they did with GB to GBC, GBA to DS, DS to 3DS dragging along some of the classics to the next.  BC, instant library, carried over library, it carries weight.