IGNORED

Dr. Mario NES sealed Wata Question

Jane

47 minutes ago, Jane said:

Horror stories abound, but the bigger concern from the buyer's point of view is the seller running off with thefunds and not shipping the item.

buyers are more protected on eBay.  eBay will return your money no questions asked, if delivery is not confirmed, or the buyer shows photos of an item not matching the description.. it might take a month, but they always get it back... in fact it’s a buyers are very protected and usually always win resolution queries. Most sellers won’t hassle with it.

You've heard a lot of things and none of them are true.

Unless something has changed with eBay, they use a separate payment processor, like PayPal; eBay itself does not process its own payments. It's that OTHER payment processor that deals with all of the claims and that payment processor is the one that protects you. So if you sell on eBay, PayPal will protect you. If you sell outside eBay, PayPal will protect you. There is zero difference and eBay does NOTHING to help you, it's all on the payment processor. It's exactly the same if you buy something at Target and pay by credit card, your credit card company will help you if Target doesn't. They're the payment processor.

I'm currently 7th fastest in the world for this game on speedrun.com and would like to add a sealed copy to my collection.

13 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

But seeing how they do not make games "more valuable" like VGA and Wata does, 

Neither of those make games more valuable. If they did, I would give them my entire collection.

If a game is a 8/10, it will sell for X dollars. If you grade it, it still sells for X dollars plus maybe $50 for the case.

• Like 1

All of the above is just my opinion, but that's what you came here for so...you got it.

I do agree with you, it is a concern. I also appreciate this group. You’ve all been super nice, and helpful on my query. I’ll either list iit here or on eBay, thanks everyone who responded, I found some good feedback, and it is much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Neither of those make games more valuable. If they did, I would give them my entire collection.

If a game is a 8/10, it will sell for X dollars. If you grade it, it still sells for X dollars plus maybe $50 for the case.

If we are talking about both sealed common games and CIB uncommon games, you are 100% correct.

But because people open games, etc. because that is their preference, graded sealed games help make them that more rare. And only if the owner/seller does what is needed to keep that game in its original condition. Otherwise, you are once again, correct because neglect can make it no different than opening a rare sealed game.

As for monetary value... You are correct if you limit to common sealed and uncommon CIB games. And are not using HA to sell them. Because like the graded Star Wars and Transformers market, a "VGA 80" can turn that addition to a multiplier. But only if the game has the hype and demand behind it. Which is one reason why people hated VGA.

Plus, profits are not a guarantee regardless of the grade. And like I said before, I do not rely on the Wata market because they grade games like CGC grades comics. Meaning you might not be getting a "8.0" product, CIB or sealed. Which has me feel that the +$50 to either be fair or generous, depending on the game.

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

You've heard a lot of things and none of them are true.

Unless something has changed with eBay, they use a separate payment processor, like PayPal; eBay itself does not process its own payments. It's that OTHER payment processor that deals with all of the claims and that payment processor is the one that protects you. So if you sell on eBay, PayPal will protect you. If you sell outside eBay, PayPal will protect you. There is zero difference and eBay does NOTHING to help you, it's all on the payment processor. It's exactly the same if you buy something at Target and pay by credit card, your credit card company will help you if Target doesn't. They're the payment processor.

I'm currently 7th fastest in the world for this game on speedrun.com and would like to add a sealed copy to my collection.

I don't think you're quite right there. I don't know the details of who ultimately processes payments for eBay, but regardless, eBay does do its own issue resolution to some degree, it does not just farm it all off to someone else. I know this because I recently bought a game via eBay's global shipping service that got lost in the mail; when I asked the seller to check on the tracking, eBay actually jumped in, investigated, found the item was lost and gave me a full refund. I talked to the seller later, and the money did not come from the seller, nor did eBay ding the seller in any other way for it.

I'm sure not all cases turn out like that, but eBay definitely gets involved in disputes/problems under some circumstances.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AdamW said:

I don't think you're quite right there. I don't know the details of who ultimately processes payments for eBay, but regardless, eBay does do its own issue resolution to some degree, it does not just farm it all off to someone else. I know this because I recently bought a game via eBay's global shipping service that got lost in the mail; when I asked the seller to check on the tracking, eBay actually jumped in, investigated, found the item was lost and gave me a full refund. I talked to the seller later, and the money did not come from the seller, nor did eBay ding the seller in any other way for it.

I'm sure not all cases turn out like that, but eBay definitely gets involved in disputes/problems under some circumstances.

Well, under the GSP, the seller wouldn't be at fault as long as it arrived at the processing plant.  If it was lost in the mail after it was sent out from there, then it's eBay's responsibility.