Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Holy shit... @Jeevan coming out of left field to knock me out of my silver spot!!!  I never got a chance to get back to this game and play for score this week, but I still need to beat the game for my personal list, and it looks like the best way to do that is to bank as many lives as possible to burn on the last couple levels.  Ergo.... you pretty much need to always play this game for score to bank as many lives as possible.  The game is incredibly flawed, but man, what potential...

Ya, i think if u can bank up 9 lives, then just coast after that and just do the minimal clearing u could probably easily beat it.  That will be the way i approach it anyway, probably this week since there is not a competition.

Also, sorry for knocking you out, but I got that pretty early in the week and figured it was good for 3rd at the very least.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, shmuzzlers (shmup + puzzler).  I just like to say "shmuzzler."

And here are the Battletoads rules for you all to start practising: Start at Ragnarok's Canyon Lose all your lives till you have 0 hearts. Once you have zero hearts, take a picture

Ooooh... I like this game.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

I barely played this game but thought it was fun but also that it would be a long game to play.  With my busy week I just never had the energy to play it.  And it looks like @Jeevancrushed it this week so nicely done.......I would of beat you if I tried 😏

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

You should try it out this week @FireHazard51 IF you have time, it really is a fun game, grindy but fun.

After midnight last night, I looked up a speedrun. There's one video of someone beating it in 30 minutes. It feels grindy but I guess with fast tapping fingers and precision, this game isn't that long compared to most other NES titles.

Of course that player had a final score over 185k and was more than willing to startegically die to clear the busiest of levels.

Edited by RH
9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

What decides whether you get B or C? It's possible to get a bunch of C's in a row without a B in sight.

So when your clear 256 you get a B. When you clear 512 you get a C. When you clear 768 you get a B and so on. So generally you get Bs when you clear 256+512x blocks, and Cs when you clear 512x blocks (where x is an integer). But you can skip over a C appearing if you past the threshold for a C with the B powerup on screen, or you hit the B threshold when the C powerup is in delay mode. Skipping Cs doesn't make the Bs come sooner with respect of the number of blocks cleared. It just makes sure you don't skip over a B when the double C powerup is active for those 25 second. 

8 hours ago, Krunch said:

Hmm B's every 256 eh somehow this makes sense, when I was in my earlier runs I was focusing, arguably over-focusing, on just building up and clearing quantity, I seemed to get more pink blocks then?  I was probably also getting less x3's so less S and E's.... but meh.  This just seems like some under-sophisticated item/score system where the average naked-eye results fall around getting "enough" but when considering the huge score difference for B in conjunction with all the placements of possible rectangles it gets quickly and harshly skewed.  Hard to break?  Perhaps.  The mechanics are still really good in spite of it all... but I won't necessarily be building a Quarth collectibles shrine either.

I probably didn't describe it will enough but you can only get Bs every 512 blocks (see above). But that doesn't change the fact that the scoring system is indeed broken. 

2 hours ago, Jeevan said:

Ya, i think if u can bank up 9 lives, then just coast after that and just do the minimal clearing u could probably easily beat it.  That will be the way i approach it anyway, probably this week since there is not a competition.

You can actually get more than 9 lives. The game keeps track it just doesn't show them past 9 (just like the score when you get over 100k). But yes it's much easier the beat when playing for score. You get lives every 10k, so my 370k score got 37 lives which I assume I didn't even get close to using them all. 

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

So when your clear 256 you get a B. When you clear 512 you get a C. When you clear 768 you get a B and so on. So generally you get Bs when you clear 256+512x blocks, and Cs when you clear 512x blocks (where x is an integer). But you can skip over a C appearing if you past the threshold for a C with the B powerup on screen, or you hit the B threshold when the C powerup is in delay mode. Skipping Cs doesn't make the Bs come sooner with respect of the number of blocks cleared. It just makes sure you don't skip over a B when the double C powerup is active for those 25 second. 

I probably didn't describe it will enough but you can only get Bs every 512 blocks (see above). But that doesn't change the fact that the scoring system is indeed broken. 

You can actually get more than 9 lives. The game keeps track it just doesn't show them past 9 (just like the score when you get over 100k). But yes it's much easier the beat when playing for score. You get lives every 10k, so my 370k score got 37 lives which I assume I didn't even get close to using them all. 

Oh, i know, im just saying realistically if u can't game the game with your b scoring trick i think there is a chance if u get 9+ lives you should be able to beat the game.  I dont know, i made it to level 9 but not with 9 lives so maybe i am just thinking you can......the more lives the better for sure.

**edit**  what i mean is, if i were to get to 9 lives, i would basically just try and keep it clear as quick as possible to get through the game to beat it

1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

Oh, i know, im just saying realistically if u can't game the game with your b scoring trick i think there is a chance if u get 9+ lives you should be able to beat the game.  I dont know, i made it to level 9 but not with 9 lives so maybe i am just thinking you can......the more lives the better for sure.

Additionally you can try practicing the later levels from the start screen so you die less on them. And don't get discouraged when you can't beat the game from them, because I too needed extra lives. 

13 hours ago, NESfiend said:

@BeaIank @guillavoie @Jeevan - can we get a break week thread to discuss what people are or are not playing, increases in productivity, depression, etc during the off time? Im sure @SuperJimtendo would draw some shit

A separate break week nonsense thread could be a fun time. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Yeah, broken is probably a bit hyperbolic. Unbalanced, would be more accurate. The main problem is when playing for score B powerups are way too many points. Therefore it makes it trivial to get enough lives if you know what you're doing.

But would average player not analyzing the code be able to figure out how the powerups work? They mostly seem random.

@Dr. Morbis was 100% right when he said all the potential in rhe world with some bad execution. I can give it a pass for being too slow for too long before it gets challenging. Really came to like playing at all phases. Scoring system is asinine. More/Smaller point bonuses and variations on combo points, so many ways to make it interesting. Anything but a single point per block plus the randomly placed 15k bonus. 

• Like 1
Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

@Dr. Morbis was 100% right when he said all the potential in rhe world with some bad execution. I can give it a pass for being too slow for too long before it gets challenging. Really came to like playing at all phases. Scoring system is asinine. More/Smaller point bonuses and variations on combo points, so many ways to make it interesting. Anything but a single point per block plus the randomly placed 15k bonus. 

IDK what you all are talking about, I enjoyed it 😎

too bad friggin deafcode participated 😒

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

But would average player not analyzing the code be able to figure out how the powerups work? They mostly seem random.

That is true. But even without knowing how the powerups work, the Bs come frequently enough that they are still score the bulk of the points. Knowing how they work just makes it worse. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to VGS!

Play, Make, Collect.

Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

Join the conversation!

• Similar Content

• By BeaIank
      Welcome brave warriors and brace yourselves for this week we reach the unreachable final frontier!
      Our skilled players will have to prove their worth by conquering SPACE!
      So ready your ships, players, load your weapons and set off at light speed!
      This week, you will all have to master ALPHA MISSION!
      Here's the rules you will abide to:

Play till your last life or till you loop the game once. Once you reach SYD x 1 lives, pause the game at the start of the stage and take your picture You are not allowed to play your last life. You must pause the game, take your picture and end your run. Refer to the following line should you loop the game before you reach SYD x 1 lives ONE shall be the number thou shalt loop, and the number of the looping shall be one. Two shalt thou not loop, neither loop thou zero, excepting that thou then proceed to one. Thirteen is right out. Once the number one, being the first number, be reached, pause thy game and take thy picture. Thou run ends there. So, your run ends after you beat area 12. Should thou play a stage more than once, thou score shall be snuff out by the holy hand grenade and thus deemed invalid. If you pick the R power up, your run ends there. You must use missiles to kill the final boss. No point pressing on him allowed. JUST USE MISSILES AT HIM! You can reset a boss fight by going into the special ships selection screen. Don't use this glitch to fight a boss more than once. If you accidentally reset a boss fight after beating him once, your run is over. Thou must kill a boss only once Thou art forbidden to point press on the 6th boss. If thou point press there, I shall release The Beast of Caerbannog upon thee. Participation: 10,000 Genre: Shooter

The contest ends Sunday, 05/02/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.
    • By BeaIank
      LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
      Welcome to the MOST EXPECTED week of our beloved Weekly Contest.
      A fast paced week, full of action and high scores where our skilled players struggle to prove who is the VERY BEST at MARBLE MADNESS!
      Expect several heavy hitters to show out of nowhere to try to claim the title of BEST MARBLE MADNESS VGS player!
      The rules for this skirmish are very simple:
      Play till game over or till you beat the game Highest score wins Participation: 5,000 Genre: Arcade Get your marbles ready and be mad about them!

The contest ends Sunday, 04/18/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.
    • By BeaIank
      Lasses and Lads, be READY, for a week of FAST paced racing is upon us!
      Our pilots will prove their mettle at the devious tracks of SUPER SPRINT!
      They must prove who is the fastest of them all through the following rules:
      Play till level 21 If you reach level 21, pause the game just as the race starts, without moving your car and take your picture If you fail to make to level 21, pause the game just as the opponent's car gets the checkered flag and take your picture Highest score wins Genre: Racing Now, hit the pedal to the metal!

The contest ends Sunday, 04/11/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.
    • By BeaIank
      Lads and gents, be welcome!
      We are about to start the 2ND ROUND of our BELOVED VGS NES WEEKLY Contest!
      We will have an action packed week this time around, with LOTS of shooting going on!
      Players, be prepared to tackle SMASH TV!!!!

Clean up your pads and get ready to get cramps on your fingers from shooting so damn much!
      Unlike SMB3 rules, those are very kind to all of you:
      Play till game over Play 1 player. You can play 1 player 2 controllers if you fancy Take your picture at the game over screen or pause the game as you lose your last life to take the picture. If you beat the game, you can take your picture at the "total bonus" screen instead of taking it on the game over screen. Highest score wins Participation: 50,000 Genre: Action May you win many brand new toasters this week!

The contest ends Sunday, 03/28/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.
    • By BeaIank
      LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!!!
      It is TIME! The time you all have been waiting for. The time for the grandest event of the year to start.
      A fresh new start for all our competitors. A new chance to be crowned VGS CHAMPION! New genre badges to be earned to prove they are the VERY BEST in a certain game genre!
      It is TIME for our players to show the results of their training during the down time.
      @guillavoieand I are proud and honoured to present and start the VGS NES WEEKLY CONTEST 2021!

And... we start off with a CLASSIC! Super Mario Bros 3!

I bet all the evil turtle hoppers are ready to hop till Bowser's fortress, aren't you all?

Well, THINK AGAIN!
      Here's the evil, wicked, twisted rules that SMB3 will run under:
      One life only If you die, take your picture at the world map so we can assess progress Play till you beat world 1 If you skip stage 4, take a picture of the world map when Bowser's warship spawn to show that you skipped it. If you beat world 1, take your picture at the start of world 2 Progress + Highest score wins Participation: Beat stage 1 with a score of at least 15,000 Genre: Platformer I hope you all are READY FOR THIS CHALLENGE!!! And be happy I am not making you play as green Mario!
      The contest ends Sunday, 03/21/20 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.