• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, shmuzzlers (shmup + puzzler).聽 I just like to say "shmuzzler."

And here are the Battletoads rules for you all to start practising: Start at聽Ragnarok's Canyon Lose all your lives till you have 0 hearts. Once you have zero hearts, take a picture

Ooooh... I like this game.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

How the heck are聽people getting pictures? I got 59k last night and was back to the title screen before I could reach for the phone.

You can pause between levels.聽 So if you miss the photo, just beat level 0 again and take a picture of the high score.

MemberPosted

Well I dun got smarter, @0xDEAFC0DE but I still can't figure out the siginficance of your ship starting to flash; it's not invincibility (learned that the hard way...) and it doesn't seem to make your points go up any faster.聽聽 At least I broke 100k, which I considered an impossibility this time yesterday...

MemberPosted
4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well I dun got smarter, @0xDEAFC0DE but I still can't figure out the siginficance of your ship starting to flash; it's not invincibility (learned that the hard way...) and it doesn't seem to make your points go up any faster.聽聽 At least I broke 100k, which I considered an impossibility this time yesterday...

Oh, apparently that only happens with the other ship. I think you are just getting the "C" powerup which means double points. The default ship has a flashing "x2" indicator.

MemberPosted
2 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Oh, apparently that only happens with the other ship. I think you are just getting the "C" powerup which means double points. The default ship has a flashing "x2" indicator.

Oh, I just picked the second ship for a change of scenery.聽 I actually made it to 8-9; if I had one more man, I would've been on the last level... for a few seconds!

MemberPosted
Posted (edited)

BATTLETOADS聽 RULES-AT-A-GLANCE:聽

When you start the game, intentionally lose all your lives until you have 0 hearts, then begin.聽 Your run ends if you lose the complete first square of your energy bar; pause the game and take your picture.聽 You can lose part of the square and keep going.聽 If an alien steals your square, you can keep going as long as you reclaim it.

Instantly after you break 400,000 points, pause the game and take your picture (or instantly after you reach 4 hearts, which is normally simultaneous, but the latter happens earlier if you picked up extra 1UPs by accident).

When submitting, add the sum of your level bonuses to your on-screen score.

Edited by Krunch
  • Thanks 1
MemberPosted
2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Not sure if I am battling the challenge of the game or boredom. Its a cool concept I find entertaining for half hour or so. Drags聽after that. I also dont understand the scoring. I got to a big number early getting 18k on one of those pink lines. Doubled it on another pink line and thought I had some magic, but after that the pink lines yielded shit.聽

TL;DR there are two types of pink lines. One is way better than the other as you've discovered. Also Red = Pink.

23 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

So there are two forms of white and red blocks. One of the white blocks (the one where your cursor is an "E") will "Erase"聽the screen. The other where the cursor is an "S" will pause "Scrolling". For the red ones, "C" will trigger double points for a limited amount of time. And "B" will award bonus points for each red block cleared.

"B" is by far the most important. I think the bonus is 300聽per block. So, you can score some insane 20k+ points in one clear.

Also, I do believe you get points for the blocks cleared with the "E" powerup.

• Thanks 1
MemberPosted
On 5/3/2021 at 12:36 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

No, it's a puzzler disguised as a shooter.聽

This is 100% right and exactly why it starts out as entertaining and gets to be a boring grind before it even gets difficult enough to take a single life from you.聽

• Like 1
Events TeamPosted
8 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

This is 100% right and exactly why it starts out as entertaining and gets to be a boring grind before it even gets difficult enough to take a single life from you.聽

it does get challenging tho

Graphics TeamPosted

I didn't expect a single attempt at this would take 45 minutes! I'm not sure I have the endurance to try that again haha.

EDIT: I'm proud of this score - getting an extra ship every 10k kept bringing me back from the edge of certain death.

-CasualCart

820359535_CasualCartQuarth84026.jpg.9efe1feb0f0eb8d86e5995c6f929a7a8.jpg

Events TeamPosted
7 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I didn't expect a single attempt at this would take 45 minutes! I'm not sure I have the endurance to try that again haha.

-CasualCart

1204176642_CasualCartQuarth55087.jpg.e36e1fb4a64191ea18076a0bc93b03f6.jpg

ya i played it last week to test it and my goodness it is long as heck!!!!聽 It takes a long time to get anywhere in the game 馃槈

• Like 1
MemberPosted
Posted (edited)

For fun I checked out level 9. I can't imagine beating this game or even coming close. It just moves way too fast. And you have to be so precise with your shots. When it starts to get hectic one little extra square and you're toast.

Edited by mbd39
MemberPosted
8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

For fun I checked out level 9. I can't imagine beating this game or even coming close. It just moves way too fast. And you have to be so precise with your shots. When it starts to get hectic one little extra square and you're toast.

Yeah I can't get to the end when starting on level 9 either. The key is to build up lives in the easy levels.聽

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to VGS!

Play, Make, Collect.

Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

Join the conversation!

• Similar Content

• By BeaIank
      Welcome brave warriors and brace yourselves for this week we reach the unreachable final frontier!
      Our skilled players will have to prove their worth by conquering SPACE!
      So ready your ships, players, load your weapons and set off at light speed!
      This week, you will all have to master ALPHA MISSION!
      Here's the rules you will abide to:

Play till your last life聽or till you loop the game once. Once you reach SYD x 1 lives, pause the game at the start of the stage and take your picture You are not allowed to play your last life. You must pause the game, take your picture and end your run. Refer to the following line should you loop the game before you reach SYD x 1 lives ONE shall聽be the聽number thou聽shalt聽loop,聽and the number of the looping shall be one. Two聽shalt thou聽not loop, neither聽loop thou聽zero, excepting that聽thou聽then proceed to one. Thirteen is right out. Once the number one, being the first number, be reached, pause thy game and take thy picture. Thou run ends there. So, your run ends after you beat area 12. Should thou play a stage more than once, thou score shall be snuff out by the holy hand grenade and thus deemed invalid. If you pick the R power up, your run ends there. You must use missiles to kill the final boss. No point pressing on him allowed. JUST USE MISSILES AT HIM! You can reset a boss fight by going into the special ships selection screen. Don't use this glitch to fight a boss more than once. If you accidentally聽reset a boss fight after beating him once, your run is over. Thou must kill a boss only once Thou art forbidden to point press on the 6th boss. If thou point press there, I shall release聽The Beast of Caerbannog upon thee. Participation: 10,000 Genre: Shooter

The contest ends Sunday, 05/02/21聽at 11聽PM聽VGS聽time.聽 Your user name聽MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.聽 The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.聽 No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.聽 No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.聽 You must take a picture of your computer monitor.聽 There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.聽 Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies,聽slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.聽 Also, we will only be using聽NTSC聽systems for the contests.聽 The use of聽PAL聽systems will聽NOT be allowed.聽 Good luck everyone and have fun.
    • By BeaIank
      LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
      Welcome to the MOST EXPECTED week of our beloved Weekly Contest.
      A fast paced week, full of action and high scores where our skilled players struggle to prove who is the VERY BEST at MARBLE MADNESS!
      Expect several heavy hitters to show out of nowhere to try to claim the title of BEST MARBLE MADNESS VGS player!
      The rules for this skirmish are very simple:
      Play till game over or till you beat the game Highest score wins Participation: 5,000 Genre: Arcade Get your marbles ready and be mad about them!

The contest ends Sunday, 04/18/21聽at 11聽PM聽VGS聽time.聽 Your user name聽MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.聽 The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.聽 No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.聽 No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.聽 You must take a picture of your computer monitor.聽 There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.聽 Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies,聽slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.聽 Also, we will only be using聽NTSC聽systems for the contests.聽 The use of聽PAL聽systems will聽NOT be allowed.聽 Good luck everyone and have fun.
    • By BeaIank
      Lasses and Lads, be READY, for a week of FAST paced racing is upon us!
      Our pilots will prove their mettle at the devious tracks of SUPER SPRINT!
      They must prove who is the fastest of them all through the following rules:
      Play till level 21 If you reach level 21, pause the game just as the race starts, without moving your car and take your picture If you fail to make to level 21, pause the game just as the opponent's car gets the checkered flag and take your picture Highest score wins Genre: Racing Now, hit the pedal to the metal!

The contest ends Sunday, 04/11/21聽at 11聽PM聽VGS聽time.聽 Your user name聽MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.聽 The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.聽 No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.聽 No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.聽 You must take a picture of your computer monitor.聽 There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.聽 Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies,聽slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.聽 Also, we will only be using聽NTSC聽systems for the contests.聽 The use of聽PAL聽systems will聽NOT be allowed.聽 Good luck everyone and have fun.
    • By BeaIank
      Lads and gents, be welcome!
      We are about to start the 2ND ROUND of our BELOVED VGS NES WEEKLY Contest!
      We will have an action packed week this time around, with LOTS of shooting going on!
      Players, be prepared to tackle SMASH TV!!!!

Clean up your pads and get ready to get cramps on your fingers from shooting so damn much!
      Unlike SMB3 rules, those are very kind to all of you:
      Play till game over Play 1 player. You can play 1 player 2 controllers if you fancy Take your picture at the game over screen or pause the game as you lose your last life to take the picture. If you beat the game, you can take your picture at the "total bonus" screen instead of taking it on the game over screen. Highest score wins Participation: 50,000 Genre: Action May you win many brand new toasters this week!

The contest ends Sunday, 03/28/21聽at 11聽PM聽VGS聽time.聽 Your user name聽MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.聽 The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.聽 No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.聽 No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.聽 You must take a picture of your computer monitor.聽 There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.聽 Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies,聽slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.聽 Also, we will only be using聽NTSC聽systems for the contests.聽 The use of聽PAL聽systems will聽NOT be allowed.聽 Good luck everyone and have fun.
    • By BeaIank
      LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!!!
      It is TIME! The time you all have been waiting for. The time for the grandest event of the year to start.
      A fresh new start for all our competitors. A new chance to be crowned VGS CHAMPION! New genre badges to be earned to prove they聽are the VERY BEST in a certain game genre!
      It is TIME for our players to show the results of their training during the down time.
      @guillavoieand I are proud and honoured to present and start the VGS NES WEEKLY CONTEST 2021!

And... we start off with a CLASSIC! Super Mario Bros 3!

I bet all the evil turtle hoppers are ready to hop till Bowser's fortress, aren't you all?

Well, THINK AGAIN!
      Here's the evil, wicked, twisted rules that SMB3 will run under:
      One life only If you die, take your picture at the world map so we can assess progress Play till you beat world 1 If you skip stage 4, take a picture of the world map when Bowser's warship spawn to show that you skipped it. If you beat world 1, take your picture at the start of world 2 Progress + Highest score wins Participation: Beat stage 1 with a score of at least 15,000 Genre: Platformer I hope you all are READY FOR THIS CHALLENGE!!! And be happy I am not making you play as green Mario!
      The contest ends Sunday, 03/21/20 at 11聽PM聽VGS聽time.聽 Your user name聽MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.聽 The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.聽 No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.聽 No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.聽 You must take a picture of your computer monitor.聽 There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.聽 Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies,聽slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.聽 Also, we will only be using聽NTSC聽systems for the contests.聽 The use of聽PAL聽systems will聽NOT be allowed.聽 Good luck everyone and have fun.