IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Quarth!

BeaIank

Well I dun got smarter, @0xDEAFC0DE but I still can't figure out the siginficance of your ship starting to flash; it's not invincibility (learned that the hard way...) and it doesn't seem to make your points go up any faster.   At least I broke 100k, which I considered an impossibility this time yesterday...

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well I dun got smarter, @0xDEAFC0DE but I still can't figure out the siginficance of your ship starting to flash; it's not invincibility (learned that the hard way...) and it doesn't seem to make your points go up any faster.   At least I broke 100k, which I considered an impossibility this time yesterday...

Oh, apparently that only happens with the other ship. I think you are just getting the "C" powerup which means double points. The default ship has a flashing "x2" indicator.

2 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Oh, apparently that only happens with the other ship. I think you are just getting the "C" powerup which means double points. The default ship has a flashing "x2" indicator.

Oh, I just picked the second ship for a change of scenery.  I actually made it to 8-9; if I had one more man, I would've been on the last level... for a few seconds!

BATTLETOADS  RULES-AT-A-GLANCE: 

When you start the game, intentionally lose all your lives until you have 0 hearts, then begin.  Your run ends if you lose the complete first square of your energy bar; pause the game and take your picture.  You can lose part of the square and keep going.  If an alien steals your square, you can keep going as long as you reclaim it.

Instantly after you break 400,000 points, pause the game and take your picture (or instantly after you reach 4 hearts, which is normally simultaneous, but the latter happens earlier if you picked up extra 1UPs by accident).

When submitting, add the sum of your level bonuses to your on-screen score.

Edited by Krunch
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Not sure if I am battling the challenge of the game or boredom. Its a cool concept I find entertaining for half hour or so. Drags after that. I also dont understand the scoring. I got to a big number early getting 18k on one of those pink lines. Doubled it on another pink line and thought I had some magic, but after that the pink lines yielded shit. 

TL;DR there are two types of pink lines. One is way better than the other as you've discovered. Also Red = Pink.

23 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

So there are two forms of white and red blocks. One of the white blocks (the one where your cursor is an "E") will "Erase" the screen. The other where the cursor is an "S" will pause "Scrolling". For the red ones, "C" will trigger double points for a limited amount of time. And "B" will award bonus points for each red block cleared.

"B" is by far the most important. I think the bonus is 300 per block. So, you can score some insane 20k+ points in one clear.

Also, I do believe you get points for the blocks cleared with the "E" powerup.

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 12:36 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

No, it's a puzzler disguised as a shooter. 

This is 100% right and exactly why it starts out as entertaining and gets to be a boring grind before it even gets difficult enough to take a single life from you. 

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I didn't expect a single attempt at this would take 45 minutes! I'm not sure I have the endurance to try that again haha.

EDIT: I'm proud of this score - getting an extra ship every 10k kept bringing me back from the edge of certain death.

-CasualCart

820359535_CasualCartQuarth84026.jpg.9efe1feb0f0eb8d86e5995c6f929a7a8.jpg

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I didn't expect a single attempt at this would take 45 minutes! I'm not sure I have the endurance to try that again haha.

-CasualCart

1204176642_CasualCartQuarth55087.jpg.e36e1fb4a64191ea18076a0bc93b03f6.jpg

ya i played it last week to test it and my goodness it is long as heck!!!!  It takes a long time to get anywhere in the game 😉 

• Like 1

For fun I checked out level 9. I can't imagine beating this game or even coming close. It just moves way too fast. And you have to be so precise with your shots. When it starts to get hectic one little extra square and you're toast.

Edited by mbd39

8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

For fun I checked out level 9. I can't imagine beating this game or even coming close. It just moves way too fast. And you have to be so precise with your shots. When it starts to get hectic one little extra square and you're toast.

Yeah I can't get to the end when starting on level 9 either. The key is to build up lives in the easy levels.