IGNORED

Game Debate #47: Advance Wars

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Sonic Adventure
    • Counter Strike
    • Plants vs Zombies
    • Kingdom Hearts

Fantastic and varied strategy gameplay, amazing amounts of content that seems to go on forever, fun story mode that puts you in a lot of different scenarios, wonderful graphics and music, what's not to like? Highly recommended for anyone that likes strategy games at all. Lots of fond memories playing Advance Wars games on the train or on the plane.

I had to think a moment on this, gave it an 8.

The design of it in general is fantastic.  Lots of good story elements around/in the battles, nice general layout, good unit choices and support, and great a/v package.  Comes with (never experienced it) a very well rounded player vs player mechanic I remember people gushing over.  Now why I don't rate it or even the later games higher, underhanded design of the AI which negatively tips favor to the computer by outright cheating.  I discovered it back when it was new, couldn't for the life of me figure out why exactly I was bombing hard on specific stages barely eeking by, then using the NP Advance guide as a tool it hit me -- limitations imposed on the player are NOT imposed on the CPU.  And the big one, the obvious one, FOG OF WAR.  It still sticks with me, that mission where you have an air raid coming in early in the game, you don't really have air units, just AA and ground for the most part.  Wherever I'd move, the CPU would counter and move itself to where it could strike me, because it wasn't BLIND like I was.  Only once basically cheating using the guide to see the full map and figure distance abilities of each aircraft I can't see, I eeked out wins in those stages by inching up, and letting the AI commit suicide having to come into range to get blasted while I just sat back and watched.  That, to me, it utter bullshit.  The rest of the game though, fantastic, win or lose, you deserved it.

8/10.  I actually played the first game after the 2nd (Black Hole Rising is 9/10 BTW) and was a little disappointed...I also don't really like the branching paths that don't allow you to play EVERY level in the main campaign in one go thru...But overall the design is the best of any strategy game I've ever played.  And the COs are different enough that it makes every playthrough feel new.  Plus with the ability to buy/make units I don't feel the stress that I have when I play Fire Emblem 😞 .  Advance Wars DS might be my favorite game of all time (at least top three), so if it wasn't for the perfection of that game, this original might have gotten a 9/10 or 10/10.  And I agree with @erac, where is this franchise????  Wargroove was a nice homage, but bring back Advance Wars and those crazy CO Powers Nintendo!!!

Deff a love/hate relationship with this style of game.  Pretty fun and cute animations, but man are they a time sink.  On they earlier maps they go by quick, but then you get bigger maps with different terrain and dozens and dozens of units to manage.  

Nothing worse then spending an hour crawling over a map, only to lose because the enemy gets a lucky shot on your commander.  😡

• Like 1

I gave it a ten simply for the large number of scenarios available that aren't part of the campaign.  Some of them are really challenging depending on what commander you use.  And sometimes it is nice to play a few scenarios and not feel any need to keep going.

The only two flaws I see with it are that you can't go into individual battles in the campaign other than through the campaign mode,  And too often it boils down to just cranking out more units than the enemy.

Solid 8 for me. Just about my favorite series ever but I did like some later entries a bit more. If Nintendo ever wants to sell me a Switch, this is one of only two series (Pikmin is the other) that'd do it. And no crummy rehash of an already released game, either. I want new content.

1 hour ago, nrslam said:

Solid 8 for me. Just about my favorite series ever but I did like some later entries a bit more. If Nintendo ever wants to sell me a Switch, this is one of only two series (Pikmin is the other) that'd do it. And no crummy rehash of an already released game, either. I want new content.

Wargroove is basically the new advance wars

4 hours ago, OptOut said:

Incorrect, the best advance wars game is the SECOND DS one, Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin. 😛

I have to admit....I never played that one.....so I really can’t say. It really is better huh? I heard a lot of people didnt like it for some reason. 

26 minutes ago, Makar said:

I have to admit....I never played that one.....so I really can’t say. It really is better huh? I heard a lot of people didnt like it for some reason. 

No it's way better! Gets rid of the awful 2.5d perspective so you can actually see what you're doing, and overall it's just the best designed in terms of the maps and everything else, seriously worth your time!

2 hours ago, OptOut said:

No it's way better! Gets rid of the awful 2.5d perspective so you can actually see what you're doing, and overall it's just the best designed in terms of the maps and everything else, seriously worth your time!

Well then looks like I have another game I need to play! Have you ever played drone tactics? More like fire emblem than advance wars but solid. I also need to play tactics ogre as I hear that’s great

Editorials Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, Makar said:

Well then looks like I have another game I need to play! Have you ever played drone tactics? More like fire emblem than advance wars but solid. I also need to play tactics ogre as I hear that’s great

Tactics Ogre is a strategy RPG like Final Fantasy Tactics or Jeanne D'Arc or Disgaea.  Not super similar to Fire Emblem or Advance Wars imo

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Tactics Ogre is a strategy RPG like Final Fantasy Tactics or Jeanne D'Arc or Disgaea.  Not super similar to Fire Emblem or Advance Wars imo

Ah interesting. Ogre and fantasy are both consistently in the top 5 for tactics games whenever I see a list. Jeanne d’arc is usually up there too. 

2 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Its worth a couple rounds. I found it a bit difficult though, maybe I am just trash at it. I like to think im decent at strategy though

It strikes me as more "puzzle based" in that the "tactics" aren't open-form and instead are more like Chess tactics puzzles.

(similar to Into the Breach)

I'm a big fan of that subgenre of tactics where you're looking for an optimal solution.

• Like 1